Problem with LaTeX hyperref package

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter toam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary: This should allow you to use pdflatex and still have working links with the hyperref package.In summary, the user is having trouble with the hyperref package not providing links to internal references when using the latex command to compile to a dvi and then converting to pdf. They have found a solution by including the hyperref package with the dvipdfm option. Additionally, the user can use pdflatex if they convert their .eps images to .pdf files using the ps2pdf utility.
toam
I am having some trouble with the hyperref package in terms of it not actually providing links to my internal references.

If I use the pdflatex command to compile my document to a pdf, the links work fine.

However if I use the latex command to compile to a dvi and then dvi2pdf (or whatever this command is actually called) to create the pdf, there will be no linking at all.

Since I am including .eps images, I cannot use pdflatex.

Is there any way to get the hyperref package to work correctly when using latex -> dvi2pdf rather than pdflatex?

Thanks in advance...

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok I managed to solve the problem.

For anyone else that might be interested:

I was including the package with:
\usepackage{hyperref}

However if I include it with:
\usepackage[dvipdfm]{hyperref}

Then it works when I use dvipdfm to convert to pdf.

toam said:
Ok I managed to solve the problem.

For anyone else that might be interested:

I was including the package with:
\usepackage{hyperref}

However if I include it with:
\usepackage[dvipdfm]{hyperref}

Then it works when I use dvipdfm to convert to pdf.
great, you have solved the problems yourself.

toam said:
Since I am including .eps images, I cannot use pdflatex.

You can use pdflatex if you convert your .eps images to .pdf files using the ps2pdf utility that comes bundled with ghostscript.

1. What is the hyperref package in LaTeX?

The hyperref package in LaTeX is a tool that allows for the creation of hyperlinks within a document. These hyperlinks can be used to navigate within the document or to external sources, such as websites or other documents.

2. Why is there a problem with the hyperref package in LaTeX?

The hyperref package in LaTeX can sometimes cause issues, such as broken links or incorrect formatting, due to conflicts with other packages or errors in the code. Additionally, the use of the hyperref package is not always necessary and can be omitted in certain cases.

3. How can I troubleshoot a problem with the hyperref package in LaTeX?

To troubleshoot a problem with the hyperref package in LaTeX, first check for any conflicts with other packages. Then, review the code to ensure that all hyperlinks are properly formatted and linked to the correct destinations. If the issue persists, consult online forums or documentation for further assistance.

4. Are there any alternatives to using the hyperref package in LaTeX?

Yes, there are alternative packages that can be used for creating hyperlinks in LaTeX, such as the url or hyperref packages. However, these may not have the same features or capabilities as the hyperref package, so it is important to carefully consider the specific needs of your document before choosing an alternative.

5. Can I use the hyperref package with all types of documents in LaTeX?

The hyperref package can be used with most types of documents in LaTeX, including articles, reports, and books. However, it may not be compatible with certain document classes or templates, so it is important to check for any potential conflicts before using the package.