Linear momentum translational problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of the center of mass G of particles located at different positions vectors relative to an origin O. It is shown that if a different origin O' is used, the definition of the center of mass would still place G at the same point in space. The proof involves translating the position vectors to a new coordinate system and showing that the center of mass moves by the same amount as the translation. The magnitude of the position vectors does change when the origin's location is shifted, but this is not relevant in solving the problem.
Benzoate

Homework Statement

A number of particles with masses m(1), m(2) , m(3),... are situated at the points with positions vectors r(1),r(2), r(3),... relative to an origin O. The center of mass G of the particles is defined to be the point of space with position vector

R=m(1)r(1)+m(2)r(2)+m(3)r(3)/(m(1)+m(2)+m(3))

Show that if a different Origin O' were used , this definition would still place G at the same point of space

Homework Equations

R=m(1)r(1)+m(2)r(2)+m(3)r(3)/(m(1)+m(2)+m(3))

Possibly C+R=R'

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I need to translate R to a new coordinate system , which is O', and essentially show that If a vectors moves into a new coordinate system , calling constant c the distance between the new coordinate system and the old coordinate system, I have to show the magnitude of the vectors don't changed. So here it goes:

R'=(m1)*(r1+c)+(m2)(r2+c)+(m3)(r3+c)/(m1+m2+m3)=m1r1+mc+m2r2+mc+m3r3+mc/(m1+m2+m3)
C=R'-R=c(m1+m2+m3)/(m1+m2+m3)=c; Therefore, R=R'-C. Is that the procedure I would apply to proved That the magnitude of the vectors do not change at all as I move my position vectors into a new coordinate system?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think, if I'm reading what you have written correctly, that you have shown that if you translate all of the ri vectors by c then the center of mass moves by c? If so then doesn't that show that the center of mass is translation independent?

Dick said:
I think, if I'm reading what you have written correctly, that you have shown that if you translate all of the ri vectors by c then the center of mass moves by c? If so then doesn't that show that the center of mass is translation independent?

I am trying to show that the magnitude of the position vectors will not change if I move my positions vectors to a new coordinate system. Isn't that what translation independence is?

Benzoate said:
I am trying to show that the magnitude of the position vectors will not change if I move my positions vectors to a new coordinate system. Isn't that what translation independence is?

Hi Benzoate! :smile:

Why do you keep going on about magnitude?

Magnitude has nothing to do with it.

As Dick says:
Dick said:

You have proved (very messily, and only for n = 3 … can't you use ∑ notation?) that if R is the average of R1 R2 … Rn then R+C is the average of R1+C R2+C … Rn+C.

In other words: "this definition would still place G at the same point of space". :smile:

The magnitude of the position vectors does change when you move the origin's location.

|ri + c| is not |ri|

But that is irrelevant to solving this problem.

Moving the origin is equivalent to adding a constant vector c to each position vector. By showing that the center of mass R becomes R + c, you prove that the CM is in the same location after the origin shift. Just as Dick said:

Dick said:
... if you translate all of the ri vectors by c then the center of mass moves by c ...

Edit --
Note to self: I owe tiny-tim a beer :smile:

1. What is linear momentum in physics?

Linear momentum is a fundamental concept in physics that refers to the quantity of motion an object possesses. It is defined as the product of an object's mass and its velocity, and is a vector quantity with both magnitude and direction.

2. How is linear momentum calculated?

Linear momentum (p) is calculated by multiplying an object's mass (m) by its velocity (v), using the equation p = m x v. The unit of linear momentum is kilogram-meters per second (kg*m/s).

3. What is a translational problem in linear momentum?

A translational problem in linear momentum refers to a situation where an object's momentum changes as it moves through space. This can occur due to various factors such as forces acting on the object, collisions, or changes in the object's speed or direction.

4. How is translational problem solved in linear momentum?

To solve a translational problem in linear momentum, one must use the principle of conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by external forces. This principle can be applied to calculate the final momentum of an object based on its initial momentum and any changes that occur in its motion.

5. What real-life applications involve linear momentum translational problems?

Linear momentum translational problems have numerous real-life applications, such as in the fields of engineering, sports, and transportation. Examples include analyzing the motion of vehicles in car crashes, designing projectiles for sports like archery or javelin throwing, and predicting the trajectory of rockets and satellites in space.