Law of cosines being an immediate consequence of

• Thread starter SciSteve
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, the problem is to show that the law of cosines is an immediate consequence of the identity (a+b)^2 = a^2 + b^2 + 2ab. The conversation discusses using the scalar product of two vectors to solve the problem, and suggests drawing a vector diagram to represent the triangle. Applying the identity to the right hand side, treating it as a vector multiplication problem, may lead to the solution.
SciSteve
I have a problem with this question where I need to show the law of cosines (c^2=a^2+b^2-2ab*cos(angle) is an immediate consequence of the identity: (a+b)^2=a^2+b^2+2ab. I've played around with it for awhile and come somewhat close but can't get quite all the way there. It's basically all an algebraic problem but I'm not too good at that when deriving other equations. I drew a triangle with sides a,b, and c, to try to re-write the 2ab part as 2(c*cos(angle))^2 but don't know how to get rid of one to have 2abCos(angle). Any bit of help or just a hint could probably get me through this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with the scalar product of two vectors?

[tex]\vec{a}\cdot\vec{b} = \rm{??}[/tex]

yes i know when you multiply two vectors you get a scalar product, that comes into play with the cosine part?

Sure. Just treat that identity as a scalar product.

still can't come up with anything, it doesn't make sense since the identity is the same thing on both sides how can you transform it to the law of cosines? The question states to show how it's an immediate consequence so I would think its something fairly quick and not too exhaustive of a problem but I've been working on it for past 2 days and can't come up with an answer.

SciSteve said:
still can't come up with anything, it doesn't make sense since the identity is the same thing on both sides how can you transform it to the law of cosines?
If the identity were exactly the same on both sides it would be a tautology and of little interest.

My suggestion is to treat this as a vector problem. Draw the corresponding vector diagram (it will be your triangle):

[tex]\vec{c} = \vec{a} + \vec{b}[/tex]

Now apply the identity to the right hand side, treating it as a problem in vector multiplication:

[tex](\vec{a} + \vec{b})^2 = (\vec{a} + \vec{b})\cdot (\vec{a} + \vec{b})[/tex]

See what happens.

1. What is the Law of Cosines?

The Law of Cosines is a mathematical rule that relates the lengths of the sides of a triangle to the cosine of one of its angles. It can be used to find the missing side or angle of a triangle when given enough information.

2. How is the Law of Cosines derived?

The Law of Cosines can be derived from the Pythagorean Theorem and the Law of Sines. It is also an immediate consequence of the Law of Cosines being a special case of the more general Law of Vector Addition.

3. What is the difference between the Law of Cosines and the Law of Sines?

The Law of Cosines is used to find the missing side or angle of a triangle when given the lengths of all three sides or two sides and the included angle. The Law of Sines is used to find the missing side or angle of a triangle when given two angles and a side, or two sides and a non-included angle.

4. Can the Law of Cosines be used for all types of triangles?

Yes, the Law of Cosines can be used for any type of triangle, whether it is acute, right, or obtuse. However, the formula may need to be adjusted for obtuse triangles, as the cosine of an obtuse angle is negative.

5. How is the Law of Cosines applied in real-life situations?

The Law of Cosines is commonly used in navigation and surveying to determine the distance between two points, as well as in engineering and physics to solve problems involving forces and angles. It can also be used in astronomy to calculate the distance between celestial bodies.