Linear Algebra-Fields and axioms

In summary: So, (0,a) is the zero vector, and you can now use the definition of additive inverse to show that (-x,a-y) is the additive inverse of (x,y).
mirandasatterley

Homework Statement

Let F be any field, and fix a є F. Equip the set V = F2 with two operations as
follows. Define addition by
(x, y)‡(x', y') := (x + x', y + y' − a), for all x, x', y, y' є F,
and define the scalar multiplication by scalars by
c * (x, y) := (cx, cy − ac + a), for all x, y, c є F.
(i) Prove that F2, with these two operations satisfies the two existence axioms for a vector space over F.

The Attempt at a Solution

i) The existence of a zero vector: there exists a zero vector such that 0 + v = v

So I let (x', y') be the zero vector = (0, 0), and got
(x,y) ‡ (0, 0) := (x + 0, y + 0 - a)
= (x, y-a)

At this point, I'm not sure how to deal with the a, or maybe my whole process is wrong! ANy help is appreciated. I'm having the same problem for the other axiom - existence of a negative.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't simply designate (0,0) to be the zero vector. The zero vector has to satisfy the rule (x,y) + (zero vector) = (x,y) where + denotes vector addition defined on this vector space.

Instead just denote the zero vector by (w,z) for example, and we have (x,y) + (w,z) = (x,y). Using the defined addition operation, you should be able to deduce what w,z should be to satisfy that. That is then the zero vector.

The same approach works for determinining the scalar multiplicative identity in this field.

So, if (w,z) is the zero vector and (x,y) is any vector, then

(x,y) + (w,z) = (x,y), and addition is defined as
(x,y) ‡ (w,z) := (x+w, y+z-a)

Can I set these equations equal to each other? to get
(x,y) = (x+w, y+z-a) therefore,

x= x+w, and subtracting x from both sides gives w=0, and we also have
y= y+z-a, and solving this gives z=a, so how can I prove that z must be zero?

The zero vector is a vector which, if added to another vector, gives this other vector as a result.
(x,y)++(0,a) = (x+0,y+a-a) = (x,y).
So (0,a) seems a reasonable zero vector.

If I multiply (x,y) by 0, I get 0(x,y) = (0x,0y-0a+a) = (0,a),
so that's okay, too.

If I multiply (x,y) by 1, I get 1(x,y) = (1x,1y-1a+a) = (x,y), so 1 is a unit element.
Is it also the unique unit element?
Suppose p(x,y) = (x,y). Then (px, whatever) = (x,y), so px = x, so x =1.

z isn't 0. If it were 0, you wouldn't have the zero vector.

For the existence of a negative: there exists a -v such that v + (-v) = 0, does the following proof make sense? Let me know if I am missing something. Thanks.

(x,y) is a vector v
(w,z) is the vector -z, so I need to prove that (w,z) = -(x,y), so I have the equation,

(x,y) + (w,z) = (0,0) from the axiom, and
(x,y) ++ (w,z) := (x+w, y+z-a) from the definition of addition.

therefore (0,0) = (x+w, y+z-a)

And from this, 0=x+w, which solves to w= -x, and
0= y+z-a, which solves to z= a-y

so in the equation for the definition of addition:

(x,y) ++ (-x, a-y) = (x +(-x), y+(a-y) -a) = (0, (y-y) + (a-a)) = (0,0)

Defennder said:
z isn't 0. If it were 0, you wouldn't have the zero vector.

I think I understand, so when I solve z=a, and plug this into the addition definition, I am proving that (0,a) is the zero vector since (x,y) ++ (0,a) := (x,y)?

mirandasatterley said:
For the existence of a negative: there exists a -v such that v + (-v) = 0, does the following proof make sense? Let me know if I am missing something. Thanks.

(x,y) is a vector v
(w,z) is the vector -z, so I need to prove that (w,z) = -(x,y), so I have the equation,

(x,y) + (w,z) = (0,0) from the axiom, and
(x,y) ++ (w,z) := (x+w, y+z-a) from the definition of addition.

therefore (0,0) = (x+w, y+z-a)
No, no, no. As you were just told, (0,0) is NOT the additive identity for this set!

And from this, 0=x+w, which solves to w= -x, and
0= y+z-a, which solves to z= a-y

so in the equation for the definition of addition:

(x,y) ++ (-x, a-y) = (x +(-x), y+(a-y) -a) = (0, (y-y) + (a-a)) = (0,0)

mirandasatterley said:
I think I understand, so when I solve z=a, and plug this into the addition definition, I am proving that (0,a) is the zero vector since (x,y) ++ (0,a) := (x,y)?
Yes, this time you got it.

1. What is a field in linear algebra?

A field in linear algebra is a mathematical structure that satisfies a set of axioms, including the existence of addition and multiplication operations, closure under these operations, and the existence of additive and multiplicative inverses. In simpler terms, a field is a set of numbers that can be added, subtracted, multiplied, and divided in a consistent and defined manner.

2. What are the axioms of a field?

The axioms of a field include closure, associativity, commutativity, existence of identity elements, existence of inverses, and distributivity. These axioms ensure that the operations of addition and multiplication are well-defined and follow consistent rules.

3. How do fields differ from other algebraic structures?

Fields differ from other algebraic structures such as rings and groups in that they satisfy all of the field axioms, while other structures may only satisfy a subset of these axioms. Additionally, fields are commutative, meaning that the order of operations does not affect the outcome, while other structures may be non-commutative.

4. What are some examples of fields?

The most commonly used fields in linear algebra are the real numbers, complex numbers, and rational numbers. However, there are other less well-known fields such as finite fields, which have a finite number of elements, and p-adic fields, which are used in number theory and analysis.

5. How is linear algebra used in fields?

Linear algebra is used in fields to study the properties and structures of vector spaces and their transformations. Fields provide a framework for studying these structures and can be used to find solutions to systems of linear equations and solve problems in areas such as physics, engineering, and computer science.