Integrate e^∛x - Solve with Step-by-Step Help

• Thread starter LUmath09
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation discusses how to integrate the expression ∫e^∛x and the attempted solutions using substitution and integration by parts. The final suggestion is to use u=x^(1/3) to simplify the integration.
LUmath09

Homework Statement

Integrate: ∫e^∛x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

this is my attempt but I keep getting stuck
∫e^∛x u=∛x
du=1/(3x^(2⁄3)0 dx
3x^(2⁄3) du= dx
3∫e^u x^(2⁄3) du

After this step I have tried integration by parts and a second substitution but like I said before I keep getting stuck. Any hints to get me going in the right direction are greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose I might be able to integrate that if I knew what "∛" meant! I don't know what you see on your reader but I see a little square that indicates a code that does not correspond to a character. How about rewriting your question without any "special codes"?

that "little square + x"= x^(1/3)

once you let u=x^(1/3) and you want no x anymore...Notice that x^(2/3)=u^2 would make the integration nice looking:!)

1. What is the function of e^∛x in integration?

The function e^∛x is known as the exponential function, which is a mathematical function that describes the growth of a quantity over time. It is often used in integration to model various real-world phenomena such as population growth, interest rates, and radioactive decay.

2. How do I solve the integration of e^∛x?

To solve the integration of e^∛x, you can use the substitution method by letting u = ∛x. This will transform the integral into a simpler form that can be easily solved. After solving the integral, don't forget to substitute back u = ∛x to get the final answer.

3. Is there a specific rule for integrating e^∛x?

Yes, there is a specific rule for integrating e^∛x, which is the power rule for integration. This rule states that the integral of a function raised to a power can be found by adding 1 to the power and dividing the result by the new power. In this case, the integral of e^∛x is equal to e^(∛x+1)/(∛x+1).

4. Can you provide a step-by-step guide for solving the integration of e^∛x?

Sure, here is a step-by-step guide for solving the integration of e^∛x using the substitution method:

Step 1: Let u = ∛x

Step 2: Calculate du/dx by differentiating both sides of the equation. In this case, du/dx = 1/(3∛x^2)

Step 3: Substitute u and du/dx into the integral, which becomes ∫e^u * 1/(3∛x^2) dx

Step 4: Rewrite the integral in terms of u, which becomes ∫e^u * 1/(3u^2) du

Step 5: Solve the integral using the power rule, which gives us the final answer of e^(∛x+1)/(∛x+1) + C

5. What are some applications of integrating e^∛x?

Integrating e^∛x has many applications in various fields of science and engineering. Some examples include modeling population growth, predicting the spread of diseases, calculating compound interest, and determining the half-life of radioactive substances. It is also used in physics and chemistry to solve problems involving exponential decay and growth.