Maximum torque on an electric motor

In summary, the problem involves an electric motor with a coil of 200 turns and a radius of 2 cm, rotating between the poles of a magnet with a magnetic field strength of 0.2 T. The question asks for the magnitude of the maximum torque that the motor can deliver when the current through the coil is 50 mA. The torque is ultimately caused by Lorentz forces on charges moving within the wires and is proportional to the coil current and area. The formula for torque is T = IAB, where I is the current and A is the magnetic moment.
Dione

Homework Statement

In an electric motor, a coil with 200 turns of radius 2 cm can rotate between the poles of a magnet. The magnetic field strength is 0.2 T. When the current through the coil is 50 mA, what is the magnitude of the maximum torque that the motor can deliver?

Variables
N = 200 turns
R = 2e-2 m
B = 0.2 T
I = 50e-3 A

τ = ?

Homework Equations

F = ILB
B = µ0(N/L)I/sqrt (1 + (2R/L)2)

µ0 = 1.257e-6 N*s2/C2

The Attempt at a Solution

I first wanted to find what the L was so I could solve for the force. So I tried that. That didn't work out too well. I then tried anything. I'm still not sure I entirely understand the concept. I cannot receive credit for the problem even if I get it right anymore, but I'd like to know how to handle this if it pops up on the exam.

http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/1562/electricmotor1oc1.th.jpg

Thanks for any and all help,
Dione

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The torque arises ultimately from the Lorentz forces on the charges moving at velocity v within the wires
[tex]\vec{F}=q\vec{v}\times\vec{B}[/tex].

Look in your text, or in a book like Reitz and Milford, Foundations of Electromagnetic Theory. You'll see that, for a loop or coil, the torque T becomes proportional to coil current I and area A
[tex]\vec{T}=I\vec{A}\times\vec{B}[/tex].
[tex]I \vec{A}[/tex] is defined to be the magnetic moment.

Last edited:

Hello Dione,

Thank you for your question. To solve this problem, we will first need to understand the concept of torque and how it relates to an electric motor. Torque is a measure of the twisting force that an object experiences when a force is applied to it at a distance from its axis of rotation. In an electric motor, the torque is produced by the interaction between the magnetic field and the current-carrying coil.

To find the maximum torque that the motor can deliver, we will use the equation τ = Fd, where F is the force exerted on the coil and d is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. In this case, the force is given by F = ILB, where I is the current, L is the length of the coil, and B is the magnetic field strength.

Now, to find the length of the coil, we can use the formula B = µ0(N/L)I/sqrt (1 + (2R/L)2). Rearranging this equation, we get L = (Nµ0I)/Bsqrt(1 + (2R/L)2). Plugging in the given values, we get L = (200*1.257e-6*50e-3)/(0.2*sqrt(1 + (2*2e-2/L)2)). Solving for L, we get L = 0.02 m.

Now, we can plug this value of L into the equation for torque to get τ = (50e-3*0.02*0.2)*(0.02/2) = 0.001 Nm. Therefore, the maximum torque that the motor can deliver is 0.001 Nm.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the concept better. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Best,

1. What is maximum torque on an electric motor?

The maximum torque on an electric motor is the highest amount of rotational force that the motor can produce. This is typically measured in newton-meters (Nm) or pound-feet (lb-ft) and varies depending on the specific motor and its design.

2. How is maximum torque determined for an electric motor?

Maximum torque is determined by the size and design of the motor, as well as the type and strength of the magnets and coils used. It can also be affected by external factors such as temperature and load on the motor.

3. What factors affect the maximum torque of an electric motor?

The maximum torque of an electric motor can be affected by various factors including the motor's design, materials used, power source, and operating conditions. For example, a larger motor with stronger components may have a higher maximum torque than a smaller motor.

4. Why is maximum torque important for electric motors?

Maximum torque is an important factor for electric motors because it determines the motor's ability to perform work and overcome resistance. It is especially important in applications where the motor needs to start or move heavy loads.

5. Can the maximum torque of an electric motor be increased?

Yes, the maximum torque of an electric motor can be increased by using more powerful magnets and coils, optimizing the motor design, and improving the power source. However, there may be limitations based on the motor's size and intended use.