Data in a databound control is not being added to an access database record

In summary, to ensure that the square footage calculation is added to the database, set the 'DataBindings.UpdateMode' property of the text box to 'OnValidation'.
jazFunk
In an Access database, I have fields (datatype = dbl) named "length", "height", and "sqrfeet". In my vb code I'm doing calculations to figure the square footage by multiplying the length * height divided by 144. The formula works just fine, but when adding the record to the database the length and height are added, however the square footage calculation is not getting added.

I assign the result of the calculation to the text box which is databound to the sqr. feet field in the database.

Any ideas where the bug might be? I'm using Visual Basic 2008.

Technology news on Phys.org
The most likely cause of the issue is that the text box is not configured to update the underlying database field when the data is changed. To ensure that changes are saved to the database, set the text box's 'DataBindings.UpdateMode' property to 'OnValidation'. This will cause the field to be updated whenever the text box loses focus.

Based on the information provided, it appears that the issue may be with the data type of the "sqrfeet" field in the database. Since it is set to "dbl" (double), it is possible that the calculation result, which may be a decimal or floating point number, is not being accepted by the database.

One solution could be to change the data type of the "sqrfeet" field to a more precise data type, such as "decimal" or "float". Another solution could be to round the calculation result to a whole number before assigning it to the text box and adding it to the database.

It is also important to check for any error messages or prompts that may be occurring during the data insertion process. Additionally, double-checking the code for any typos or syntax errors may also help identify the issue.

Overall, it is important to ensure that the data types of the fields in the database are compatible with the data being added, and to thoroughly test and troubleshoot the code to identify any potential issues.

What could be causing data not to be added to the database record?

There are a few potential causes for this issue. It could be due to incorrect database connection settings, an error in the SQL query used to insert the data, or an issue with the databound control itself. It's important to check all of these elements to pinpoint the exact cause.

How can I troubleshoot this problem?

The first step is to check the database connection settings to ensure they are accurate and up-to-date. Then, review the SQL query used to insert the data and make sure it is correctly formatted and referencing the appropriate fields in the database. If these elements seem to be correct, then there may be an issue with the databound control itself, which may require further debugging or troubleshooting.

Is there a way to test the SQL query outside of the databound control?

Yes, you can test the SQL query by running it directly in the database management software, such as SQL Server Management Studio. This will allow you to see if the query is executing correctly and if any errors are being returned. If the query works correctly outside of the databound control, then the issue may lie with how it is being implemented within the control.

Could a lack of permissions be the reason for data not being added to the database record?

Yes, it is possible that the user account being used to access the database does not have the necessary permissions to insert data. Make sure the account has the appropriate permissions and try running the query again.

Are there any other potential solutions for this issue?

If none of the above solutions work, it may be helpful to check for any error messages or log files that could provide more information about the problem. It may also be helpful to reach out to a more experienced developer or consult online resources for further troubleshooting steps.