What is the best method for solving this summation equation?

• Thread starter bj1
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a puzzle involving a given equation and the attempts to find the values of x and y. There are some difficulties with the equation, such as the lack of a variable for the summation and varying values of k for each l and m. The equation can be rewritten as a 5 by 5 matrix equation with some of the entries involving x and y. The best method for solving the puzzle is still being considered.
bj1

Homework Statement

http://k1w1.no-ip.info/math.gif

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

A puzzle I'm trying to find a solution to, and have no idea on where to begin. Any pointers, or answers, appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• math.gif
    math.gif
    984 bytes · Views: 466
Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly is the problem? You've given an equation but haven't said what problem you are trying to solve.

I also see many difficulties with the equation: you have a sum over j but there is no j in the numbers to be summed. If that is really what you mean then the result is just 5 times kxlym for each l and m. But you also give different values of "k" for each l and m. Did you mean klm rather than just k? Looks to me like your equation becomes a 5 by 5 matrix equation with only some of the 25 entries involving x and y. Are we to assume that klm = 0 for combinations of l and m not in the table?

Hi HallsofIvy,

I'm trying to find the values of x & y. The equation is all that has been given, no other instructions or pointers. I'm rapidly learning that it doesn't appear to be 'standard' for want of a better term. Your assumptions could well be correct, and you may be onto the right path. Thanks.

Your equation should really be written as

[tex]\sum_{j=0}^5 k_j x^{l_j}y^{m_j} =0[/tex]

Since the values of [itex]k[/itex], [itex]l[/itex] and [itex]m[/itex] all depend on the value of [itex]j[/itex].

...as for the best method of solving this; give me a moment to think about it.

What is the Summation/Sigma equation and how is it used?

The Summation/Sigma equation is a mathematical representation of adding together a series of numbers. It is written using the Greek letter sigma (Σ) and the series of numbers is written below the sigma symbol. This equation is used to find the total of a set of numbers, to represent a pattern, or to calculate the area under a curve.

What is the difference between upper and lower limits in a Summation/Sigma equation?

The upper limit in a Summation/Sigma equation represents the last number in the series that is being added together. The lower limit represents the first number in the series. For example, if the summation is from n=1 to n=5, the upper limit is 5 and the lower limit is 1.

Can the Summation/Sigma equation be used for series with infinite terms?

Yes, the Summation/Sigma equation can be used for infinite series as long as the terms of the series follow a pattern or have a common difference. This is known as an infinite geometric series, and its sum can be calculated using the formula S = a / (1-r), where a is the first term and r is the common ratio.

How does the Summation/Sigma equation relate to calculus?

The Summation/Sigma equation is closely related to the concept of integration in calculus. The summation of a series of numbers can be seen as the discrete version of integration, which is the process of finding the area under a curve. In fact, the summation of a series is often used to approximate the value of an integral.

What are some common mathematical patterns represented by the Summation/Sigma equation?

Some common mathematical patterns represented by the Summation/Sigma equation include arithmetic sequences, geometric sequences, and factorial sequences. The equation can also be used to represent polynomial functions and other types of series. Its versatility makes it a valuable tool in many areas of mathematics.