Can someone explain mass energy conservation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of mass energy conservation and how mass and energy can be converted into each other. The example of nuclear fusion is given as a demonstration of this principle. The conversation also touches on the idea of gaining mass through an increase in energy, and the work-energy theorem and relativistic principles are mentioned to explain this concept.
matt_crouch
Im confused with mass energy conservation. i get that mass and energy are conserved but i don't understand how mass can become energy and visa versa.. can anyone help explain it to me in another way?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

matt_crouch said:
Im confused with mass energy conservation. i get that mass and energy are conserved but i don't understand how mass can become energy and visa versa.. can anyone help explain it to me in another way?

Hi matt_crouch! Welcome to PF! :smile:

An example: in nuclear fusion, two masses combine to a lesser mass and give off energy.

The mass-plus-energy is the same before as after. :smile:

But what i find confussing is how can someone get heavier as they gain energy. for example someone going up in a lift gains potential energy and mass?

are they gaining matter? or can energy be matter.. if u see what I am getting it. how can a gain in energy cause a gain in kilograms.

im probably just makeing it more confusing =]

The work-energy theorem still applies …

the special relativistic increase in mass due to velocity is balanced by the work done in increasing the speed

and the general relativistic increase in mass due to lower gravitational potential is balanced by the work done by gravity. :smile:

ahh ok i get it.. i think cheers for the help :D

What is mass energy conservation?

Mass energy conservation is a fundamental principle of physics that states that the total mass and energy in a closed system cannot be created nor destroyed, only converted from one form to another.

How is mass energy conservation related to Einstein's famous equation, E=mc²?

E=mc² is the mathematical representation of mass energy conservation, where E represents energy, m represents mass, and c represents the speed of light. This equation shows that mass and energy are interchangeable and can be converted from one form to another.

What evidence supports the concept of mass energy conservation?

There is a vast amount of evidence that supports the concept of mass energy conservation. One of the most notable examples is the conservation of energy in nuclear reactions, where the mass of the particles involved is converted into energy. Additionally, the laws of thermodynamics also support this principle.

Can mass energy conservation be violated?

No, mass energy conservation is a fundamental principle of physics and has been proven to hold true in all observed systems. While it may appear that mass is being created or destroyed in certain processes, it is actually just being converted into a different form of energy.

What are the implications of mass energy conservation for the future of energy production?

Mass energy conservation has significant implications for the future of energy production. It means that we must find ways to harness and convert energy from renewable sources, such as solar and wind power, to meet our growing energy needs without depleting finite resources. It also highlights the importance of finding sustainable and efficient ways to use and conserve energy in order to reduce our impact on the environment.