Divisor Function t(n): Proving $2n*(n)^{1/2}$

• Thread starter peteryellow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary: So, t(n+1)<2\sqrt{n+1} is also true.In summary, we want to prove that t(n) < 2*(n)^{1/2} and we can do so by using an iterative theorem proof starting with k=1 and showing that for k+1, t(n) < 2*(n)^{1/2} is also true.
peteryellow
Let t(n) be the divisor function, i.e., the function gives the positive divisors in n including 1 and n. Then I want to show that

$2n*(n)^{1/2}.$

I have tried different ideas but nothing is working can somebody please give some hints.

Physics news on Phys.org
peteryellow said:
Let t(n) be the divisor function, i.e., the function gives the positive divisors in n including 1 and n. Then I want to show that

$2n*(n)^{1/2}.$

I have tried different ideas but nothing is working can somebody please give some hints.
I'm sorry, I don't understand what it is you want to prove. Is that last formula just [itex]2nn^{1/2}= 2n^{3/2}[/itex] and what does it have to do with t(n)?

soory .

t(n) = divisor function, i.e., number of positive divisors of n including n and 1.

Then I want to show that t(n) < 2*(n)^{1/2}. I mean 2 times squareroot of n.

If the prime factorization of n is p1^k1 . p2^k2 . p3^k3 . ..., then t(n) = (k1+1)(k2+2)(k3+3)... Using this, and the fact that the logarithm function is monotonic, maybe (just maybe) taking logs on both sides of the inequality might help. Just an idea.

Dodo:
then t(n) = (k1+1)(k2+2)(k3+3)
You started in interesting direction, but [tex]f(n) = k![/tex] where [tex]k=\sum(k_i)[/tex]

Let's start iterative theorem prove:
k=1
then [tex]t(n)=1[/tex] and [tex]1<2\sqrt{n}[/tex] for any [tex]n>1[/tex].

Prove for k+1
[tex]t(n)=(k+1)!=k!(k+1)[/tex]
Now we have to prove that [tex]k!(k+1) < 2\sqrt{n}[/tex]
Let's suppose that it's not true. Divide both sides on k+1, than we'll have [tex]k! > \frac{2}{k+1}\sqrt{n}[/tex] (1). But we know that [tex]k!<2\sqrt{n}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{2}{k+1}\sqrt{n}<2\sqrt{n}[/tex].

This means that (1) is impossible and [tex]k!(k+1) < 2\sqrt{n}[/tex] is true.

1. What is the Divisor Function t(n)?

The Divisor Function t(n) is a mathematical function that counts the number of positive divisors of a given integer n. It is denoted by t(n) or σ0(n) and is commonly used in number theory and algebraic geometry.

2. How is the Divisor Function t(n) calculated?

The Divisor Function t(n) can be calculated by finding all the factors of n and counting them. Factors are numbers that can divide n without a remainder, and the total number of factors is equal to t(n).

3. What is the significance of proving $2n*(n)^{1/2}$ for the Divisor Function t(n)?

Proving $2n*(n)^{1/2}$ for the Divisor Function t(n) provides a simple and efficient way to calculate t(n). This formula is also useful in many other mathematical applications, such as finding the number of lattice points in a circle or calculating the number of divisors for a large number.

4. How can one prove $2n*(n)^{1/2}$ for the Divisor Function t(n)?

There are various ways to prove $2n*(n)^{1/2}$ for the Divisor Function t(n), including using algebraic manipulations, number theory, and combinatorics. One possible approach is to use the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic, which states that every positive integer can be uniquely represented as a product of prime numbers.

5. What are some real-life applications of the Divisor Function t(n)?

The Divisor Function t(n) has various real-life applications, such as in cryptography, where it is used to find the number of possible keys for a given cipher. It is also used in coding theory, where it helps in determining the minimum distance between codewords in a code. Additionally, t(n) has applications in physics, particularly in the study of crystal structures and lattices.