Proof that there exist such an element in Q

In summary, the conversation discusses whether the set Q,+,. is a field and the conditions it must satisfy. The main focus is on proving the existence and uniqueness of the inverse element -x. The conversation ends with the conclusion that -x is the unique element.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I'm asked to say whether the set Q,+,. is a field.
To be a field it must respect 8 conditions. And one of them is that there exists a unique element -x in Q such that x+(-x)=0 for all x in Q. I realize I have to prove the existence of -x but also its uniqueness. For the existence I don't know how could I approach it. For the uniqueness I'm sure that I could do it by absurd. That is by suposing that there exist more than one element -x that satisfies the same property and fall into a contradiction.
Can you get me started or help to get started for showing the existence?
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
fluidistic said:
I'm asked to say whether the set Q,+,. is a field.

I realize I have to prove the existence of -x but also its uniqueness. For the existence I don't know how could I approach it.

Hi fluidistic! :smile:

(good sig! :biggrin:)

If Q is the rationals, then define the inverse of p/q as -p/q. :wink:

assume there is an element -x such that x + (-x) = 0

now assume there is an element y such that x + y =0
This implies y=-x therefore we conclude that

-x is the unique element

Ok thank you both, I think I got it. Wasn't that hard it seems!

1. What is "Proof that there exist such an element in Q"?

"Proof that there exist such an element in Q" is a mathematical concept that refers to the existence of a certain element in the set of rational numbers (Q). In other words, it is a way to prove that there is at least one element in the set of rational numbers.

2. Why is it important to prove the existence of an element in Q?

Proving the existence of an element in Q is important because it allows us to have a better understanding of the properties and characteristics of rational numbers. It also helps us to make accurate and valid mathematical statements and proofs.

3. How is "Proof that there exist such an element in Q" demonstrated?

"Proof that there exist such an element in Q" is typically demonstrated using mathematical logic and reasoning. This may involve using axioms, definitions, and previously proven theorems to arrive at a logical conclusion that proves the existence of the element in Q.

4. What are some examples of "Proof that there exist such an element in Q"?

One example of "Proof that there exist such an element in Q" is the proof that the square root of 2 is a rational number. This proof involves showing that assuming the square root of 2 is rational leads to a contradiction, thus proving that it must be irrational. This, in turn, proves the existence of an irrational number in Q.

5. How does "Proof that there exist such an element in Q" relate to other mathematical concepts?

"Proof that there exist such an element in Q" is closely related to other mathematical concepts such as proofs by contradiction, existence proofs, and the concept of infinity. It also has applications in other areas of mathematics, such as real analysis and number theory.