Struggling with Integrating a First Order DE: How to Proceed?

• Thread starter Outlaw747
  • Start date
  • Tags
    First order
In summary, the student is having difficulty with both the integrals and is not sure where to proceed.
Outlaw747

Homework Statement

Solve the following DE:
(6x[tex]^{4}+x^{3}[/tex]+10x[tex]^{2}[/tex]+2x-4)yy' = (y[tex]^{2}[/tex]+y+2)(12x[tex]^{4}[/tex]+2x[tex]^{3}[/tex]+20x[tex]^{2}[/tex]+6x-7)

Homework Equations

All we really know technique wise is separation of variables then integrate. Basically this is the first week of DE class.

The Attempt at a Solution

I divided both sides by the left parantheses part and did division. Put the y's on the left and I am stuck at integration.

[tex]\int\frac{y}{y^2+y+2}[/tex]dy =2[tex]\int\frac{2x+1}{6x^4+x^3+10x^2+2x-4}[/tex]dx

There is where I left off. I am having difficulty with both integrals, if they are even possible. Did I miss something in an early step? Not sure where to proceed or if I am heading in the right direction. Help would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a pretty masochistic problem. One place you did go wrong is that the ratio of x polynomials is 2+(2x+1)/(6*x^4+x^3+10*x^2+2*x-4). The 2 doesn't come out as a multiplicative factor. Now you just have a couple of moderately nasty (but doable) integrals. For the y integral you need to start by completing the square in the denominator, do a ordinary substitution and then a trig substitution. The x integral is a partial fractions project. You started it out right by doing the division.

The right side should be
[tex]\int (2 + \frac{2x + 1}{6x^4 + x^3 + 10x^2 + 2x - 4}) dx[/tex]

not 2 time the integral that you show.

For the integral on the left, you could rewrite the numerator as y + 1/2 - 1/2, and then split it into two integrals, with y + 1/2 in the numerator of the first, and -1/2 in the numerator of the second. After integration, these would be K*ln(y^2 + y + 2) and arctan(something).

For the integral on the right, you'll get 2x + something, where the "something" is going to take some work. You should start by factoring the 6x^4 + ... expression in the denominator, if possible. If you can get this expression factored, you can use partial fractions to break up (2x + 1)/(6x^4 + ... - 4) into the sum of easier to work with rational functions.

When you the complete the square do you add 1/(1/4) for completing the square in the bottom as (y+1/2)^2 so add 4 to the right?

Wouldn't that mean you subtract 1/4 from the 2? y^2+y+2=(y+1/2)^2+7/4, isn't that it?

1. What is a first order differential equation?

A first order differential equation is an equation that involves a function and its first derivative. It represents a relationship between a variable and its rate of change.

2. How do I solve a first order differential equation?

To solve a first order differential equation, you can use various methods such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or using substitution. It is important to understand the concept of differential equations and practice solving different types of equations.

3. What is the importance of solving first order differential equations?

First order differential equations are used to model various real-world phenomena such as population growth, radioactive decay, and chemical reactions. Solving these equations allows us to understand and predict the behavior of these systems.

4. Can I use a computer to solve first order differential equations?

Yes, there are various software programs and online tools available that can solve first order differential equations. However, it is important to understand the concepts and techniques involved in solving these equations before relying on a computer to do so.

5. Are there any tips for solving first order differential equations?

Some tips for solving first order differential equations include identifying the type of equation, checking for any special cases, and being familiar with the various techniques for solving them. It is also helpful to practice solving different types of equations to improve your problem-solving skills.