Custom parts and Custom Hydraulic Arms?

In summary: With a boom and cable system, you would be able to retract the cables from the arm, and then retract the arm, which would pull the load. This system would be less cumbersome than using hydraulics, and you could have it expand and retract easily.
NightsThunder
I am building a custom trailer, that will have "cages" ranging in size from 20" tall by 40" wide by 6' long to 39" tall, 40" wide, 8' long. And stacked up to 6 high and 2 wide. Now with my questions. I want to be able to open or unfold the cages kinda like a fishing tackle box out sideways of the deck. And then be able to slide them out away from the trailer on each side separating each cage by 15' to 20' or more(using hydraulics?) I would also like to be able to run wiring thru the cages and back to the trailer deck. The problems I am facing are how to run all the wiring and be able to have it expand and retract with the "arms" between each cage. And exactly what kind of "arms" (fold able hydraulic piston?) to use. Because they would have to be able to collapse down in a fairly small space on each end of the cages when stacked on the deck of the trailer. I have a good understanding of basic electrical and a fair understanding of mechanical stuff. So I can kind of visualize what I am trying to build but I am having trouble getting detailed diagrams and schematics drawn. At this point I am trying to get the diagrams drawn so I can build some models to test the mechanical parts. Any input would be great.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Wow—Transformers!
This sounds pretty complex, but I'm sure that it can be done. I'm wondering, though, if a boom and cable system might be more practical than hydraulics.
Anyhow, the wiring should be manageable using heavily coiled cables (like a telephone cord).
Good luck.

Danger said:
Wow—Transformers!
This sounds pretty complex, but I'm sure that it can be done. I'm wondering, though, if a boom and cable system might be more practical than hydraulics.
Anyhow, the wiring should be manageable using heavily coiled cables (like a telephone cord).
Good luck.

People have told me that this idea sounds like a transformer! Could you tell me more about what a boom and cable system is.

Basically, just a winch system. I'm thinking specifically along the lines of a ship-board cargo crane.

1. What are custom parts and custom hydraulic arms used for?

Custom parts and custom hydraulic arms are used in various industries, such as manufacturing, construction, and transportation, to create specialized equipment and machinery. They are designed to fit specific needs and requirements, and can improve the efficiency and productivity of a process or machine.

2. How are custom parts and custom hydraulic arms created?

Custom parts and custom hydraulic arms are typically created through a process called computer-aided design (CAD), where engineers use specialized software to design and simulate the part or arm. Once the design is finalized, it is sent to a manufacturer who uses computer-aided manufacturing (CAM) to produce the part or arm with precision and accuracy.

3. What materials are used to make custom parts and custom hydraulic arms?

The materials used to make custom parts and custom hydraulic arms vary depending on the specific application and requirements. Some common materials include metals like steel, aluminum, and titanium, as well as plastics and composites. The choice of material depends on factors such as strength, durability, and weight.

4. How long does it take to produce custom parts and custom hydraulic arms?

The production time for custom parts and custom hydraulic arms can vary depending on the complexity of the design, the chosen material, and the manufacturing process. In general, it can take anywhere from a few days to several weeks to produce a custom part or arm.

5. Are custom parts and custom hydraulic arms expensive?

The cost of custom parts and custom hydraulic arms can vary greatly depending on the factors mentioned above, as well as the quantity being produced. Generally, custom parts and arms may be more expensive than off-the-shelf options, but they offer the advantage of being tailored to specific needs and can potentially save money in the long run through increased efficiency and productivity.