How Do You Calculate the Distance Between Two Slits in a Double Slit Experiment?

• Thread starter JSapit
  • Start date
In summary: Glad it worked out for you.In summary, the conversation discussed solving a problem involving light incident on two slits and determining the order of a maximum based on the observed angles. The equations used were dsin(theta)=m(lambda) for constructive interference and dsin(theta)=(m+1/2)(lambda) for destructive interference. The equations were manipulated to solve for the order m, with a small discrepancy in the final answer. The conversation ended with the problem being solved successfully.
JSapit

Homework Statement

Light of 650 nm is incident on two slits. A maximum is seen at an angle of 10.93degrees and a minimum of 11.73degrees. What is the order m of the maximum?

What is the distance d between the slits?

Homework Equations

dsin(theta)=m(lambda) - max

dsin(theta)=(m+1/2)(lambda - min

The Attempt at a Solution

So I started out with the two equations, one for the constructive interference and destructive interference. I solved one equation for d, and then substituted that solved equation into the other to try and find m. I don't know if it was an error in math or what, but I can't seem to solve this problem. Is there an easier way that this, or is this the easiest?

P.S. Sorry I've posted three threads for three different questions, but I'm having trouble with this chapter. Thank you for your patience and your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds good to me. I wrote the two equations
mL = d*sin(A) and (m+.5)L = d*sin(B) and divided them to eliminate the d.
This almost resulted in a whole number - one % off. Close enough, I guess.

What did you get for your m? I took an m out after I divided the two equations, so it looked like m=(.5sinA)/sinB, which got me about .466330. I tried entering it and it wasn't right. My math is definitely wrong ._.

Dividing the 2 equations, I got
1 + .5/m = sin(B)/sin(A) = 1.072203
so .5/m = .072203
m = 6.92

That explains what I did wrong. I figured it out. Thanks for all your help Delphi!

Woohoo

1. What is the distance between two slits in the double-slit experiment?

The distance between two slits in the double-slit experiment is typically referred to as "d" and is measured in units of length, such as meters or centimeters. It is the distance between the centers of the two slits and is an important factor in determining the interference pattern that is produced.

2. Does the distance between two slits affect the interference pattern observed?

Yes, the distance between two slits directly affects the interference pattern observed in the double-slit experiment. The closer the slits are to each other, the wider the interference pattern will be, and the farther apart they are, the narrower the pattern will be.

3. How does changing the distance between two slits impact the wavelength of light used in the experiment?

The distance between two slits does not impact the wavelength of light used in the experiment. The wavelength of light is determined by the source of light and remains constant regardless of the distance between the slits. However, changing the distance between the slits can impact the spacing of the interference pattern produced.

4. What is the relationship between the distance between two slits and the number of fringes in the interference pattern?

The distance between two slits and the number of fringes in the interference pattern have an inverse relationship. As the distance between the slits increases, the number of fringes in the pattern decreases, and vice versa. This is because a wider distance between the slits results in a wider interference pattern, allowing for fewer fringes to fit within it.

5. How does the distance between two slits affect the intensity of light in the interference pattern?

The distance between two slits does not directly affect the intensity of light in the interference pattern. However, a wider distance between the slits can result in a dimmer overall interference pattern as the intensity is spread out over a larger area. Additionally, the positioning and size of the slits can also impact the intensity of the interference pattern observed.