Structural dynamics - advice for senior thesis

In summary, the author is looking for advice on a topic for their senior thesis. They are interested in ideas for a thesis about a structure with industrial purpose, or a structure in a higher seismic zone. They are interested in something simple to start with, and are thinking about a machine pedestal. The author is also thinking about torsional vibrations of a machinery train.
radou
Homework Helper
Hello to all,

I am just about to start working on my senior thesis (I'm not sure if this is the
exact equivalent term in english speaking countries - basically, it's the thesis
you have to do in order to finish your studies and gain your engineering degree),
which I selected to be in the field of structural dynamics.

Basically, the thesis will be a dynamic calculation of a structure which will
probably consist of 2 parts - one of them is a calculation using some structural
design software (probably SAP), and the other could be a calculation "by hand" in
order to compare results, etc.

I am currently in the phase of looking for inspiration, since my mentor said I should
think about the topic for my thesis and create a brief concept for it, and hence
I am interested if someone has some experience with structural dynamics.

There are a few choices which occurred to me instantly - the thesis could be
about a structure with industrial purpose, i.e. somewhere where vibrations occur
due to rotational machine work, or about a structure of respectable height in
a "higher" seismic zone, where wind and seismic influences occur to be critical
for the structure.

The problem is, this is only a brief concept without any details, so I would be
very grateful if someone with experience of such type could provide me with
some ideas and advice in general.

Engineering news on Phys.org
A machine pedestal would make an interesting computer analysis, but you might find it fairly difficult to do much with by hand.

The classic problems are things like turbine rotors and similar rotating machines in their supports. As a simpler problem, you might try something like a grinder.

You might try the torsional vibrations of a machinery train, particularly interesting if you include a gear set.

Do a helicopter fuselage structure under loading.

1. What is structural dynamics?

Structural dynamics is a branch of engineering that deals with the behavior of structures under dynamic loads, such as earthquakes, wind, and vibrations. It involves the study of how structures respond to these loads and how they can be designed to withstand them.

2. Why is structural dynamics important?

Structural dynamics is important because it helps engineers design safe and reliable structures that can withstand various types of dynamic loads. It also allows for the optimization of structures to reduce material and construction costs, while still meeting safety requirements.

3. What are some common techniques used in structural dynamics analysis?

Some common techniques used in structural dynamics analysis include finite element analysis, modal analysis, and response spectrum analysis. These methods help to model and analyze the behavior of structures under different dynamic loads.

4. How can I apply structural dynamics in my senior thesis?

There are many ways to apply structural dynamics in a senior thesis, depending on your specific research topic. Some possible areas of focus could include analyzing the dynamic response of a specific structure, investigating the effects of different types of dynamic loads on structures, or developing new techniques for structural dynamic analysis.

5. What skills are needed to work in the field of structural dynamics?

To work in the field of structural dynamics, one needs a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and engineering principles. Knowledge of computer programming and finite element analysis software is also essential. Good problem-solving and critical thinking skills are important for analyzing and interpreting complex structural dynamics data.