Should We Stop Eating Foods with Unique DNA Fingerprints?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a unique DNA fingerprint and its implications on the abortion issue. It also brings up the idea of unique DNA fingerprints in all living organisms and the potential implications on food consumption. The conversation also touches on the out of Africa theory and the role of genetic analysis in tracing human ancestry.
DavidSnider
Gold Member
I was just reading some story about how Kathy Ireland is opposed to abortion because at the moment of conception they have a 'DNA Fingerprint'. Abortion issue aside, it got me to wonder:

If I sequenced my mother and father's DNA and generated all the 2^23 permutations of chromosomes would my genome, my siblings and all my potential siblings be in there? (Assuming no mutations or naughty milkmen).

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
No. During the generation of gamete cells, there can be recombination between homologous chromosomes generating chromosomes that contain some segments of DNA from one chromosome and some segments from it's homologous pair. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromosomal_crossover

Food for thought: cancer cells in your body would also have a unique DNA fingerprint.

Ygggdrasil said:
Food for thought: cancer cells in your body would also have a unique DNA fingerprint.
As does your mitochondria.

mgb_phys said:
As does your mitochondria.

I'm no so sure.. mine looks a lot like my mom's.

alxm said:
I'm no so sure.. mine looks a lot like my mom's.

Doh - sorry I was thinking of having different DNA in you, not the original question.

DavidSnider said:
..is opposed to abortion because at the moment of conception they have a [unique] 'DNA Fingerprint'.
Ygggdrasil said:
During the generation of gamete cells, there can be recombination
So her argument is that every individual sperm cell has a human right to be nurtured through to adulthood, but not each identical twin?

Last edited:
Every living organism has a "DNA fingerprint." Does that mean I shouldn't eat my carrots either, because they each have a unique DNA fingerprint?

Moonbear said:
Every living organism has a "DNA fingerprint." Does that mean I shouldn't eat my carrots either, because they each have a unique DNA fingerprint?

I'm not sure I fully understand the question, but if you're asking whether if it's unsafe to eat carrots due to their unique DNA fingerprint, you have to keep in mind that there are unique DNA fingerprints in a lot of things you eat. If not, then every piece of food you eat. Meats, vegetables, nuts, fruits and everything in between all have their own genetic material in their cells.

Zen2 said:
I'm not sure I fully understand the question, but if you're asking whether if it's unsafe to eat carrots due to their unique DNA fingerprint, you have to keep in mind that there are unique DNA fingerprints in a lot of things you eat. If not, then every piece of food you eat. Meats, vegetables, nuts, fruits and everything in between all have their own genetic material in their cells.

I was being sarcastic. Kathy Ireland's rationale was that having a unique DNA fingerprint meant that a "life" should be preserved (i.e., no abortion), so by that same logic, one should avoid all foods that need to be killed to consume them, since they all contain a unique DNA fingerprint (maybe the GM corn is okay, since they aren't so unique). I was just using sarcasm to point out the flaws in the argument.

1. How does genetics influence our physical appearance?

Genetics plays a major role in determining our physical appearance. Our physical traits, such as eye color, hair color, and height, are largely determined by the combination of genes we inherit from our parents.

2. Can genetics determine our personality?

While genetics may play a small role in shaping certain aspects of our personality, such as temperament and intelligence, our environment and life experiences also play a significant role in determining our personality.

3. What happens when there is a genetic mutation?

A genetic mutation occurs when there is a change in the DNA sequence. Depending on the location and severity of the mutation, it can lead to genetic disorders or have no significant impact on an individual's health or development.

4. Can we alter our genes through lifestyle changes?

While our genes are fixed and cannot be altered, our lifestyle choices can influence how our genes are expressed. For example, a healthy diet and regular exercise can help prevent certain genetic disorders or mitigate their effects.

5. How similar are our genes to other living organisms?

Humans share a significant amount of genetic material with other living organisms. For example, we share about 98% of our DNA with chimpanzees and about 60% with bananas. This shows our evolutionary relationships and how all living beings are connected through genetics.

Back