Thirst: Reasons Beyond Water & Salt?

• Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date
In summary, most people believe that thirst is the result of a lack of fluids and/or an increase in the concentration of certain osmolites. However, some believe that thirst may also be triggered by a sense of overheating or heatstroke.
fluidistic
Gold Member
I've read on wikipedia that thirst
It arises from a lack of fluids and/or an increase in the concentration of certain osmolites such as salt. If the water volume of the body falls below a certain threshold, or the osmolite concentration becomes too high, the brain signals thirst.
Is it the only reason for being thirst? Don't we're thirst also when we need to cool off our body? I have the sensation that drinking a very cold (near 0°C) water makes my thirst disappear much more than drinking a 25°C water (room temperature). Usually a glass of cold water is enough for me when 3 glasses of room temperature in Summer is enough for me. It's more than an impression to me. How strange it doesn't appear in wikipedia. What are your thoughts?

Biology news on Phys.org
well I am not sure about the temperature thing but when you get hot you get thirsty because you sweat and lose enough water to make your brain trigger thirst

kashiark said:
well I am not sure about the temperature thing but when you get hot you get thirsty because you sweat and lose enough water to make your brain trigger thirst

Yes I know. I just wonder why a cold glass of water is more effective against thirst than a hot one if the same quantity of water is drunk. Have you experienced the same? Or it's just me?

did an internet search and found it: cold water is absorbed faster by the body and no you're not the only one lol

kashiark said:
did an internet search and found it: cold water is absorbed faster by the body and no you're not the only one lol

Thanks to you I also searched on the Internet and I've read it's good to drink cold water when doing physical exercises and yes, it does cool the body. Nice to know.
Thanks for your input.

hm i didnt know that but it makes sense and anytime :approve:

Heres another question: Do fish have any sensation of thirst?

1. What are the main reasons for feeling thirsty besides needing water and salt?

Thirst can also be triggered by a lack of essential electrolytes, such as potassium and magnesium, in the body. It can also be a sign of dehydration, which can occur from excessive sweating, vomiting, or diarrhea.

2. Can certain medications cause increased thirst?

Yes, some medications, such as diuretics, antihistamines, and antidepressants, can cause increased thirst as a side effect. These medications can affect the body's fluid balance and lead to dehydration.

3. Is thirst a reliable indicator of dehydration?

No, thirst is not always a reliable indicator of dehydration. By the time you feel thirsty, your body is already dehydrated. It is important to drink enough fluids throughout the day to prevent dehydration.

4. How much water should I drink to stay hydrated?

The amount of water needed varies from person to person, but a general recommendation is to drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water per day. However, this can vary depending on factors such as activity level, climate, and overall health.

5. Can excessive thirst be a sign of a medical condition?

Yes, excessive thirst can be a symptom of certain medical conditions, such as diabetes, kidney disease, or hypercalcemia. If you are experiencing excessive thirst, it is important to consult a healthcare professional for proper diagnosis and treatment.