Mirrors (concave) + questions on lens and mirrors

In summary, the image of the moon is formed by a concave mirror with a radius of curvature of 4.20m when the moon is 3.8 x 10^5 km away. The diameter of the image can be calculated using the formula 1/f = 1/do + 1/di and M = hi/ho = -di/do. In order to determine if a mirror or lens is concave or convex, the sign of the focal length must be considered. A positive focal length indicates a concave mirror or convex lens, while a negative focal length indicates a convex mirror or concave lens. If the problem states a positive focus for a convex mirror, it must be changed to negative and if the
whitehorsey
1. The image of the moon is formed by a concave mirror whose radius of curvature is 4.20 m at a time when the moon's distance is 3.8 x 10^5 km. What is the diameter of the image of the moon if the diameter of the moon is 3480 km?

2. 1/f = 1/do + 1/di
M = hi/ho = - di/do

3. 1/f = 1/do + 1/di
di = dof/do - f
= 3.8 x 1065(0.0042)/3.8 x 10^5 - 0.0042
= 0.0042 km

hi/ho = - di/do
hi= ho (- di/do)
= 3480(-0.0042/3.8 x 10^5)
= -3.8 x 10^-5 km

I'm not sure if this is right. I also have some questions how do you know if it is concave or convex (lens/mirrors if the book doesn't say it), what's the difference between mirrors and lens, and how do you tell if its a converging lens or a diverging lens what's the difference between them. Thank You! :]

Physics news on Phys.org
4.2m is the radius of curvature, it is not the focal length. See your textbook for how f depends on R.

whitehorsey said:
I also have some questions how do you know if it is concave or convex (lens/mirrors if the book doesn't say it), what's the difference between mirrors and lens,
A lens works by refraction of transmitted rays, while a mirror works by reflection.

... and how do you tell if its a converging lens or a diverging lens what's the difference between them. Thank You! :] [/b]

We know this is a concave mirror because the problem statement says so.

More generally:

A positive focal length indicates a concave mirror, and convex or converging lens.

A negative focal length indicates a convex mirror, and concave or diverging lens.

Redbelly98 said:
4.2m is the radius of curvature, it is not the focal length. See your textbook for how f depends on R.

A lens works by refraction of transmitted rays, while a mirror works by reflection.

We know this is a concave mirror because the problem statement says so.

More generally:

A positive focal length indicates a concave mirror, and convex or converging lens.

A negative focal length indicates a convex mirror, and concave or diverging lens.

oh ok i see.
i have two more questions:
What happens if the problem says that it is a convex mirror and gives a positive focus do we change that to negative or if they give a negative focus do we change that to a positive?

What happens if your trying to solve for the focus on a concave mirror and get a positve focus do I change that to a negative or leave it as it is?

I'm kind of confused on this and I want to be able to understand it for my test tomorrow.
Thank You!

whitehorsey said:
oh ok i see.
i have two more questions:
What happens if the problem says that it is a convex mirror and gives a positive focus do we change that to negative or if they give a negative focus do we change that to a positive?
The focal length is negative for a convex mirror, so:
  • if they give a positive focus, change that to negative
  • if they give a negative focus, keep it as negative

What happens if your trying to solve for the focus on a concave mirror and get a positve focus do I change that to a negative or leave it as it is?
A concave mirror has a positive focal length, so if you get a positive focus keep it positive.
A convex mirror has a negative focus, so if you calculate a positive focus then something is wrong. Check your work.

I'm kind of confused on this and I want to be able to understand it for my test tomorrow.
Thank You!
You're welcome. Good luck!

Thank You again! :]

1. What is the difference between a concave and convex mirror?

A concave mirror curves inward, causing light rays to reflect and converge at a focal point. On the other hand, a convex mirror curves outward, causing light rays to reflect and diverge, making objects appear smaller than they actually are.

2. How do concave mirrors create enlarged images?

When an object is placed in front of a concave mirror, the light rays from the object reflect and converge at the focal point, creating a real and enlarged image. This is known as the principle of reflection.

3. Can concave mirrors also create virtual images?

Yes, concave mirrors can also create virtual images when the object is placed between the focal point and the mirror. In this case, the light rays reflect and diverge, creating an upright and virtual image.

4. How do concave mirrors affect the appearance of objects?

Concave mirrors cause objects to appear larger and more magnified when placed closer to the mirror, and smaller and distorted when placed farther away. This phenomenon is known as magnification and is dependent on the distance between the object and the mirror.

5. What are some practical uses of concave mirrors?

Concave mirrors have various uses in everyday life, including in telescopes, headlights, and makeup mirrors. They are also used in scientific experiments and research, such as in microscopy and reflecting telescopes.