Young's modulus and bulk modulus of cooked pasta

In summary: I will try again with the specific paper you mentioned.In summary, the conversation discusses the need for viscoelastic parameters of cooked pasta, specifically the shear modulus and initial bulk modulus. A paper is mentioned where a relaxation test was performed on cooked pasta, but the sample size was not provided. A suggestion is given to use a simple experiment to calculate the Young's modulus and the conversation concludes with references to food science journals that may have relevant information.
bmbbbh
Hi there,

I am doing some simulation on the cooking process of pasta. Now I need the viscoelastic parameters of cooked pasta (plane sheet lasagna to :) ). To be more specific, i need the shear modulus and the initial bulk modulus.

Right now I found a paper, in which a relaxation test was performed to cooked pasta and the force was measured as a function of time under constant strain (a tensile test). However, they did not provide the size of the sample, so I am unable to obtain the Young's modulus.
If I would be able to know the young's modulus, by assuming a constant poisson's ratio, I should be able to calculate the bulk modulus and the shear modulus.

I am just wondering if anyone could help direct me somewhere for this information?

Thanks a lot.

H

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi bmbbbh, welcome to PF. A simple experiment could give you the Young's modulus: hang a thin piece of cooked pasta vertically, attach a paper clip or binder clip, measure the extension, and calculate E by using the dimensions of the pasta sample and the value of the attached weight. This approach was used by Pelham and Wang ("Cell locomotion and focal adhesions are regulated by substrate flexibility," PNAS 94 (1997)) to calculate the Young's modulus of very compliant (10s of kPa) polyacrylamide films.

The Poisson's ratio of very compliant solids is typically assumed to be 0.5.

Mapes said:
Hi bmbbbh, welcome to PF. A simple experiment could give you the Young's modulus: hang a thin piece of cooked pasta vertically, attach a paper clip or binder clip, measure the extension, and calculate E by using the dimensions of the pasta sample and the value of the attached weight. This approach was used by Pelham and Wang ("Cell locomotion and focal adhesions are regulated by substrate flexibility," PNAS 94 (1997)) to calculate the Young's modulus of very compliant (10s of kPa) polyacrylamide films.

The Poisson's ratio of very compliant solids is typically assumed to be 0.5.

Thank you very much.

I will check this out. Actually I was a little reluctant to do experiments and that's why I've been looking for available data in the literature.

Andy Resnick said:
Food science journals are full of stuff like this:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6T8J-4VHSD8V-7&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=4ae4ddb37c7e23c90ce91c1c08d82408

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=1881311

http://air.unimi.it/handle/2434/43408

etc.

Thank you very much. I have actually did a keyword search on these journals, but didn't get anything useful out of it.

What is Young's modulus of cooked pasta?

The Young's modulus of cooked pasta refers to the measure of the stiffness or elasticity of the pasta when it is cooked. It is a measure of how much the pasta can be stretched or compressed before it breaks.

What is the bulk modulus of cooked pasta?

The bulk modulus of cooked pasta refers to the measure of the resistance of the pasta to changes in volume when subjected to external pressure. It is a measure of how much the pasta can withstand compression before it changes in volume.

How do these moduli affect the texture of cooked pasta?

The Young's modulus and bulk modulus of cooked pasta both play a role in determining the texture of the pasta. A higher Young's modulus results in a firmer and chewier texture, while a lower bulk modulus leads to a softer and more tender texture.

What factors affect the Young's modulus and bulk modulus of cooked pasta?

The Young's modulus and bulk modulus of cooked pasta can be affected by various factors such as the type of flour used, the cooking time and temperature, and the amount of water used during cooking. These factors can alter the pasta's protein and starch structures, ultimately affecting its moduli.

Why are these moduli important in the food industry?

The Young's modulus and bulk modulus of cooked pasta are important in the food industry as they are key factors in determining the quality and texture of the pasta. Food manufacturers use these moduli to create pasta with specific textures and consistencies, ensuring a consistent product for consumers.