What is the distance traveled in damped harmonic motion?

In summary: Just remember that the particular solution will depend on the initial conditions. So you'll have to solve for the constants first and then find the maximum. In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving using the constant acceleration "suvat" equations to find the maximum tension in a spring. The participants discuss different approaches and equations involved, such as the modulus of elasticity and displacement. Eventually, it is suggested to find the maximum displacement by setting the derivative of the displacement function to 0. The conversation ends with a reminder to solve for the constants before finding the maximum.
nokia8650
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/9091/53337497.th.jpg

Can someone please help me with the problem above? I am unable to start it. Clearly, using the constant acceleration "suvat" equations, 0.5ft^2 is the distance obtainined, however I am unable to proceed.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
nokia8650 said:
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/9091/53337497.th.jpg

Can someone please help me with the problem above? I am unable to start it. Clearly, using the constant acceleration "suvat" equations, 0.5ft^2 is the distance obtainined, however I am unable to proceed.

Thanks in advance.
So you are able to do part (a), then. At any moment, t, the force on the particle is man2 times the extension of the spring. That is y and, using (a), [itex]y=(1/2)ft^2-x[/itex].

[tex]m\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}= man^2((1/2)ft^2- x)[/tex]

Are you sure about "modulus of elasticity man2"? That "a" doesn't seem to fit.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the tension, you forgot to divide by the natural length = a, and hence the a seems to fit! Thanks a lot for the help though, it makes sense now! How would I do the last part of finding the maximum tension in the spring?

Thanks

Last edited:
Could anyone please help with the last part of the question please?

Thanks

The tension is maximum when the string's extension is at a maximum. You have an expression for the displacement. How do you find the maximum of this function?

Would I say y = 0.5ft^2 - (particular solution of the equation), and then find when dy/dt = 0, to find the time at which y is a max, and then subv this time back in, to find ymax, and then use the tension equation?

Thanks

Sounds like a good idea.

What is damped harmonic motion?

Damped harmonic motion is a type of motion where a system oscillates back and forth with a decreasing amplitude due to the presence of a damping force. The damping force acts to dissipate the energy of the system, causing the oscillations to eventually come to a stop.

What causes damped harmonic motion?

The presence of a damping force, such as friction or air resistance, causes damped harmonic motion. This force acts in the opposite direction of the motion of the system, resulting in a decrease in amplitude over time.

How is damped harmonic motion different from simple harmonic motion?

In simple harmonic motion, there is no damping force present, and the amplitude remains constant. In damped harmonic motion, the amplitude decreases over time due to the presence of a damping force.

What is the equation for damped harmonic motion?

The equation for damped harmonic motion is x(t) = A0e^(-bt)cos(ωt+ϕ), where x(t) is the displacement of the system at time t, A0 is the initial amplitude, b is the damping coefficient, ω is the angular frequency, and ϕ is the phase angle.

What are some real-life examples of damped harmonic motion?

Damped harmonic motion can be observed in various systems, such as a swinging pendulum with air resistance, a car suspension system, and a guitar string. In each of these examples, the system experiences a damping force that causes the amplitude of the oscillations to decrease over time.