Analyzing Gas Tank Filling Rates: Solving a Differential Equation

In summary, the tank pressure in relation of time is determined by the flowrate through the restriction in relation of time.
nick5
Hi all,

I hope this is right place to post this question (this is not a homework question).

I wanted to find out in what time a tank under low pressure (gas/air) is filled by the atmospheric pressure through a restriction.
(Tankpressure in relation of time or Flowrate through the restriction in relation of time.)

The flowrate is: V'(t)=delta_p(t)*C1 (Assuming a round restriction (pipe) and laminar flow C1=pi*r^4/(8*viscosity*l))

delta_p(t)= po-ptank+C2/V(t)
(po=atmospheric_pressure, ptank=Intial_tank_pressure, V(t)=is the Volume of air which entered the tank through the restriction C2=n*R*T; p*V=n*R*T (actually the temperature T would also be a variable but for now I would assume it to be constant))

Therefore: V'(t)=C1*(po-ptank+C2/V(t))
(since po and ptank are constants they can be written as C3=po-ptank).

And I end up with this differential equation:

V'(t)-C1*C2/V(t)-C1*C3=0

Can anybody think of an analytical solution for this equation (I haven't dealt with differential equations for 15 years) or think of an alternative way to solve this problem?
If I were to plot the flowrate through the restriction, I would expect a curve that would look something like this: V'(t) = V'o*e-t*C (Which is why I believe there should be an analytical solution.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi nick5! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a delta: ∆ and a pi: π :wink:)

That's V' = AV + B,

so write it dV/(AV + B) = dt, and integrate. :smile:

Hi Tim,

thank you for your quick response and help.

The equation would actually be:

V'=A/V+B
dV/(A/V+B)=dt

and If integrated, I end up with:

t=(B*V-A*ln(A+B*V))/B^2

and if I try to solve this equation by V I don't get any further then this:
V=(e(B*V-t*B^2)/A-A)/B

Is this even solvable by V?

Hi nick5! :smile:
nick5 said:
dV/(A/V+B)=dt

and If integrated, I end up with:

t=(B*V-A*ln(A+B*V))/B^2

hmm … I get the same …

I don't see how you can invert that, to a V = f(t) equation, without some numerical approximation method.

ok, that's what I was afraid of.

Well, maybe the initial equation I came up with is erroneous.

I'm certain that this part is correct:
V'(t)=∆_p(t)*C1

But maybe there is a better way to describe: ∆_p(t)

The V(t) that you have been discussing is pretty ill defined because volume is pressure and temperature dependent.

I'm not much of a fluids person, so I'm not the best person to advise on this. But, that said, what you need to write is a mass flow rate equation, and describe the quantity of mass in the tank. Then as a first approximation (not too bad really) you can use the ideal gas law to write
P*V = n*R*T
to relate the quantity of gas in the tank to the pressure, volume (which is fixed typically), and temperature, which usually goes up when the gas is compressed.

Try thinking in this direction and see if it helps.

1. How do I know when my gas tank is full?

Most gas tanks have a built-in sensor that will automatically shut off the pump when the tank is full. Additionally, you can usually see the gas level rising in the tank through the gas gauge on your dashboard.

2. Can I overfill my gas tank?

Yes, it is possible to overfill your gas tank. This can be dangerous as it can cause spills and harm the environment. It can also damage your car's emissions system. It is important to stop pumping once the pump automatically shuts off.

3. How do I calculate the amount of gas needed to fill my tank?

The best way to calculate the amount of gas needed to fill your tank is to check your car's owner's manual for the tank capacity. Then, subtract the current gas level from the tank capacity to determine how much gas is needed to fill it completely.

4. How often should I fill my gas tank?

This can vary depending on the size of your gas tank and how often you drive. It is recommended to fill your tank before it reaches a quarter full to prevent any damage to your fuel pump. If you have a larger tank and don't drive often, you may only need to fill it once a month.

5. Does the temperature outside affect the filling of a gas tank?

Yes, the temperature outside can affect the filling of a gas tank. Gasoline expands in warmer temperatures, so if you fill your tank on a hot day, the gas may expand and overflow. On the other hand, in colder temperatures, gasoline contracts, so your tank may not be filled to its full capacity.