What is the submarine’s maximum safe depth?

In summary, the problem involves calculating the maximum safe depth of a research submarine with a 22.8-cm-diameter window that can withstand forces up to 1280000 N. The solution involves using the formulas p=f/a, p=ρgh, and A=πr² or πd²/4 to find the pressure and depth. The thickness of the window is not a factor in the calculation.
GreyGus

Homework Statement

I have tried this problem six times and it's still wrong. The problem is

A research submarine has a 22.8-cm-diameter window 7.9 cm thick. The manufacturer says the window can withstand forces up to 1280000 N. What is the submarine’s maximum safe depth? The pressure inside the submarine is maintained at 1.0 atm.

Homework Equations

p=po+rogh, p=f/a

The Attempt at a Solution

p=f/a, a=2*pi*r^2+ 2*pi*r*h because I think the window is a cylinder since it has thickness. Hence, I find p by pluging in a.

So,

p= 101325 pa + rogh and i solve for h but that is wrong. Can you help me please. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Simply divide the force by the area to get the pressure that the window can withstand. We'll deal with gauge pressures, so the 1 atm interior pressure will cancel with ambient pressure.

So,
[tex] p = \frac{F}{A} = \frac{1280000 N}{\frac{\pi D^2}{4}} = 31350.9 kPa [/tex]
Since we're dealing with gauge pressurse, this will be equal to hydrostatic pressure, so:
[tex]
p = \rho g h[/tex]
[tex]
31350.0*10^3 Pa = (1000 kg/m^3)(9.81 m/s^2)h;\,\, h = 3.195 km[/tex]

At least that's what I get.

For some reason it's not working for me. Is (pi*d^2)/4 another equation for the surface area of a cylinder?

The thickness of the window doesn't matter. The total force on the window is

ρghA - (101325)A

which must equal 1280000 N at the maximum safe depth. In your attempt, you had the wrong sign for 101325A (since it's pointing in the opposite direction to the water pressure force), and the wrong formula for the area of the window. A = πr² or πd²/4.

Last edited:

1. What is the maximum safe depth for a submarine?

The maximum safe depth for a submarine depends on several factors, including the type of submarine and its design, the technology and materials used, and the purpose of the submarine. Generally, modern submarines can safely dive to depths of around 800-1000 feet. However, some specialized submarines, such as deep-diving research submarines, can reach depths of over 35,000 feet.

2. How is the maximum safe depth of a submarine determined?

The maximum safe depth of a submarine is determined through a process called depth testing. This involves gradually increasing the depth of the submarine while monitoring its structural integrity and the performance of its systems. The depth is then adjusted based on the results of the testing, taking into account factors such as hydrostatic pressure and the effects on the crew and equipment.

3. What happens if a submarine goes deeper than its maximum safe depth?

If a submarine goes deeper than its maximum safe depth, it can experience structural damage, such as buckling or collapse, due to the immense pressure exerted by the surrounding water. The crew may also experience physiological effects, such as decompression sickness, as they resurface too quickly. In extreme cases, the submarine and its crew may not be able to resurface at all.

4. Can the maximum safe depth of a submarine be increased?

The maximum safe depth of a submarine can be increased through improvements in technology and materials, as well as design modifications. However, there are limits to how deep a submarine can safely dive, as the pressure at extreme depths can be too great for even the strongest materials to withstand. Additionally, increasing the maximum safe depth may also require changes to other systems on the submarine, such as its propulsion and life support systems.

5. How do submarines withstand the pressure at their maximum safe depth?

Submarines are designed to withstand the immense pressure at their maximum safe depth through a combination of factors. These include the use of strong and durable materials, such as high-grade steel and titanium, as well as sophisticated design techniques, such as double-hulled construction. Additionally, submarines also have systems in place to equalize the internal and external pressure, such as ballast tanks and pressurized compartments.