Is free will possible in Conway and Kochen's FW theorem?

• Thread starter Descartz2000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the conversation revolves around Conway and Kochen's free-will theorem and the question of whether or not particles can have free will if they are correlated with experimenters making free choices. The theorem claims that the particles' responses are not determined by earlier properties of the universe, but the correlation between the particles and experimenters raises doubts about the true existence of free will. The conversation also mentions the possibility of FTL or superdeterminism as alternative explanations.
Descartz2000
Can anyone give any feed back on Conway and Kochen's free-will theorem? I thought the particle in area B knows instantaneously that its' separated partner in area A has altered, and as a result changes. Yet, the free-will theorem requires if free-will experiments are true, then particles must maintain some form of free will as well. But, how would the particle display free will if it is correlated with A? It seems this would be the result of A and FTL? Any help out there? If I've got it all wrong, please let me know-

Physics news on Phys.org
Descartz2000 said:
Can anyone give any feed back on Conway and Kochen's free-will theorem? I thought the particle in area B knows instantaneously that its' separated partner in area A has altered, and as a result changes. Yet, the free-will theorem requires if free-will experiments are true, then particles must maintain some form of free will as well. But, how would the particle display free will if it is correlated with A? It seems this would be the result of A and FTL? Any help out there? If I've got it all wrong, please let me know-

1. The FWT makes no attempt to "explain" why the particles response is identical if the experimenters happen to (freely and independently) choose the same orientation of their magnets.

2. What it does claim is that the responses are not functions of properties of the universe which are earlier than the actual experiment at each location. Specifically, the experimenters spacelike separation allows an inertial frame where A's experiment is before B's and also one in which B's experiment is before A's.

Skippy

Last edited by a moderator:
skippy1729 said:
1. The FWT makes no attempt to "explain" why the particles response is identical if the experimenters happen to (freely and independently) choose the same orientation of their magnets.

2. What it does claim is that the responses are not functions of properties of the universe which are earlier than the actual experiment at each location. Specifically, the experimenters spacelike separation allows an inertial frame where A's experiment is before B's and also one in which B's experiment is before A's.

Skippy

I think to maintain the true value of 'free-will', the theory must take into account the correlation between the free choice experimenter and the identical reponse in the particles. If this can not be explained or reasoned then I would be inclined to question a 'free-will' approach. However, I do agree that if the experimenter does in fact have free-will then so do particles. Yet, I would be more likely to buy into FTL of some kind or superdeterminism and leave the notion of 'free-will' to the birds.

Descartz2000 said:
I think to maintain the true value of 'free-will', the theory must take into account the correlation between the free choice experimenter and the identical reponse in the particles. If this can not be explained or reasoned then I would be inclined to question a 'free-will' approach. However, I do agree that if the experimenter does in fact have free-will then so do particles. Yet, I would be more likely to buy into FTL of some kind or superdeterminism and leave the notion of 'free-will' to the birds.
I fully agree. :approve:

1. What is the Conway and Kochen FW theorem?

The Conway and Kochen FW theorem is a mathematical proof that states that it is impossible to have a deterministic hidden variable theory that completely explains the predictions of quantum mechanics.

2. Who discovered the Conway and Kochen FW theorem?

The theorem was discovered by the mathematicians John Horton Conway and Simon B. Kochen in 1970.

3. What is the significance of the Conway and Kochen FW theorem?

The theorem has important implications for our understanding of quantum mechanics and the nature of reality. It suggests that there are fundamental limits to our ability to understand and predict the behavior of quantum systems.

4. How does the Conway and Kochen FW theorem relate to the Bell inequalities?

The theorem is closely related to the Bell inequalities, which also show the limitations of classical hidden variable theories in explaining the behavior of quantum systems. However, the Conway and Kochen FW theorem goes further in proving that no such theory can exist at all.

5. Has the Conway and Kochen FW theorem been experimentally tested?

There have been several experimental tests of the Conway and Kochen FW theorem, all of which have confirmed its predictions. However, as the theorem deals with fundamental limitations of quantum mechanics, it cannot be directly tested in the same way as other scientific theories.