Permutation and combination of computer text

In summary, there are 120 usable combinations of background colour and text colour on a computer terminal that can generate 16 different colours. This is calculated by using the Fundamental Principle of Counting, where Step 1 involves picking one background colour out of 8 available colours, and Step 2 involves picking one text colour out of 15 available colours (since the same colour cannot be used for both background and text). This results in a total of 8C1 x 15C1 = 120 combinations.
look416

Homework Statement

a computer terminal displaying text can generate 16 different colours numbered 1 to 16. anyone of colours 1 to 8 may be used as the "background colour" on the screen, and anyone of colours 1 to 16 may be used as the " text colours"; however, selecting the same colour for background and text renders the text invisible and so this combination is not used. find the number of different usable combinations of background colour and text colour.

Homework Equations

nCr nPr

The Attempt at a Solution

i have using
16 P 8 x 16 P 16
where 16P8 refers as the possible combinations of background colours
and 16P16 is the possible combinations of text colours
by multiplying both probability, and find the answer...

Physics news on Phys.org
Fundamental Principle of Counting: If Step 1 can be done m ways, and after it is done, Step 2 can be done n ways, then both of these steps can be done in this order in m times n ways.

Step 1 is pick one background colour. (How many background colours are there?)

Step 2 is pick one text colour.

Billy Bob said:
Fundamental Principle of Counting: If Step 1 can be done m ways, and after it is done, Step 2 can be done n ways, then both of these steps can be done in this order in m times n ways.

Step 1 is pick one background colour. (How many background colours are there?)

Step 2 is pick one text colour.

As what you have said,
8 background colours there , therefore i use 8C1
16 text colours there, therefore i use 16C1
result is 8C1 x 16C1 = 128
sad case this is not the answer, i refer to the answer, answer is 120
so any mistakes there?

look416 said:
As what you have said,
8 background colours there , therefore i use 8C1
16 text colours there, therefore i use 16C1
result is 8C1 x 16C1 = 128
sad case this is not the answer, i refer to the answer, answer is 120
so any mistakes there?

Step 1: Number of background colours is correct.
Step 2: Suppose you used Colour #1 in step 1. You can't use that same colour in step 2. Depending on the colour you chose in step 1, your step 2 choices of colour are different. However, the number of choices in step 2 is always the same.

yes mate i got it
which mean i just have to expel the colour that i have chosen for the background
therefore is 8C1 x 15C1 which is equivalent to 120.
yeah thanks mate, you saved my day

1. What is the difference between permutation and combination?

Permutation and combination are mathematical concepts used to calculate the number of possible arrangements or selections. The main difference is that permutation considers the order of elements in a group, while combination does not.

2. How do I calculate the number of permutations of a given set of elements?

To calculate the number of permutations, you need to use the formula nPr = n!/(n-r)!, where n represents the total number of elements and r represents the number of elements in each permutation. For example, if you have 5 elements and want to find all possible permutations of 3 elements, the calculation would be 5P3 = 5!/(5-3)! = 5!/2! = 5*4*3 = 60 permutations.

3. Can permutation and combination be applied to computer text?

Yes, permutation and combination can be applied to computer text. For example, if you have a password that consists of 8 characters and can contain uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and special characters, you can use permutation and combination to calculate the total number of possible combinations. This can be useful for assessing the strength of a password.

4. How is permutation and combination used in data analysis?

In data analysis, permutation and combination can be used to calculate the number of possible outcomes for a given set of variables. This can be helpful in statistical analysis, such as calculating probabilities and determining the significance of results in experiments or surveys.

5. Are there any real-life applications of permutation and combination in computer science?

Yes, permutation and combination have many real-life applications in computer science, such as in cryptography, data compression, and error-correcting codes. They are also commonly used in computer algorithms for tasks such as sorting and searching large datasets.