Thermal Stress (Thermodynamics)

In summary, the equation F/A=-Y\alpha\DeltaT (thermal stress) gives the stress required to keep the length of a rod constant as its temperature changes. If the length changes by \DeltaL when its temperature changes by \DeltaT, the stress is equal to F/A = Y((\DeltaL/L_{}0)-\alpha\DeltaT), where F is the tension on the rod, L(naut) is the original length of the rod, A its cross-sectional area, alpha its coefficient of linear expansion, and Y its Young's modulus. This shows that as the length changes, the area increases and the stress decreases.
Luongo
1. Equation F/A=-Y[tex]\alpha[/tex][tex]\Delta[/tex]T (thermal stress) gives the stress required to keep the length of a rod constant as its temperature changes. Show that if the length is permitted to change by an amount [tex]\Delta[/tex]L when its temperature changes by [tex]\Delta[/tex]T, the stress is equal to F/A = Y(([tex]\Delta[/tex]L/L[tex]_{}0[/tex])-[tex]\alpha\Delta[/tex]T) where F is the tension on the rod, L(naut) is the original length of the rod, A its cross-sectional area, alpha its coefficient of linear expansion, and Y its Young's modulus.

i don't know where to start can somebody help? this thermal stress is stressing me out

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
please help any feedback I am begging you

Luongo said:
1. Equation F/A=-Y[tex]\alpha[/tex][tex]\Delta[/tex]T (thermal stress) gives the stress required to keep the length of a rod constant as its temperature changes. Show that if the length is permitted to change by an amount [tex]\Delta[/tex]L when its temperature changes by [tex]\Delta[/tex]T, the stress is equal to F/A = Y(([tex]\Delta[/tex]L/L[tex]_{}0[/tex])-[tex]\alpha\Delta[/tex]T) where F is the tension on the rod, L(naut) is the original length of the rod, A its cross-sectional area, alpha its coefficient of linear expansion, and Y its Young's modulus.

i don't know where to start can somebody help? this thermal stress is stressing me out
If the length changes by dL what does the volume change by? So what does the area, A, change by? How does this affect the stress, F/A?

AM

Andrew Mason said:
If the length changes by dL what does the volume change by? So what does the area, A, change by? How does this affect the stress, F/A?

AM

if the length changes the area would increase and the pressure would decrease. I'm not sure how you "Show This" though

1. What is thermal stress?

Thermal stress is a type of stress or strain that occurs in a material due to changes in temperature. It is caused by thermal expansion or contraction of the material, which can lead to deformation or failure.

2. How does thermal stress affect materials?

Thermal stress can cause materials to expand or contract, which can lead to changes in shape, size, or strength. It can also result in cracks or fractures in the material, especially if the stress is not evenly distributed.

3. What factors contribute to thermal stress?

The main factors that contribute to thermal stress are the temperature difference between different parts of a material, the material's coefficient of thermal expansion, and its elastic modulus. Other factors such as the material's geometry and external forces can also play a role.

4. How is thermal stress calculated?

Thermal stress can be calculated using the formula σ = αΔT, where σ is the stress, α is the coefficient of thermal expansion, and ΔT is the change in temperature. This formula assumes that the material is uniform and that the temperature change is small.

5. How can thermal stress be managed or reduced?

Thermal stress can be managed or reduced by using materials with lower coefficients of thermal expansion, designing structures with more uniform temperature distribution, and incorporating thermal expansion joints or other means of allowing for thermal expansion and contraction. Proper insulation and temperature control can also help minimize thermal stress.