Youtube: fad or will it have a permanent place in our culture?

• Thread starter noblegas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Youtube
In summary, the conversation discusses the role of YouTube in modern society, with one person arguing that it is more than just a passing fad and has opened up new opportunities for conversation and content creation. Others mention the potential for competition and the importance of placing control in the hands of creators rather than corporations. Ultimately, it is agreed that YouTube will likely continue to be popular for the foreseeable future, but the format of video content may change.
noblegas
Whats your opinion? Do you think youtube is just a fad for people to make and watch substanceless virial videos or do you think it is the television of the 2000's and television will become what radio became in the 1950's. I don't think youtube is a fad; I think it open doors for many conversations that would not be had on television concerning debates between atheists and creationists, libertarians and anarchists received extra airtime, and people's individual outlook on a particular topic.In addition, many talented comedic people like itsjustsomerandomguy and the angry nintendo nerd who probably would not have gotten famous if it were not for youtube; I don't think youtube is just a fad, but I do believe it will have serious competitors in the future given the number of rules that youtube users have to follow

Physics news on Phys.org

Last edited by a moderator:
They are certainly the "go to" site for videos - like ebay for auctions. I don't think anyone will surpass them anytime soon.

maverick_starstrider said:

amazing video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Monocerotis said:
amazing video.

Ya. it seems like an intro into a really awesome Sci-Fi movie.

Youtube was a fad. It's not working anymore... :rofl:

Edit: Disregard. Just as I was typing my post, Youtube came back up again after being dead for several hours... :redface:

I think that youtube specifically will continue to do well though may be usurped eventually by another site quite like MySpace lately seems to be caught up with or falling behind FaceBook.

The important aspect of youtube is that is places control in the hands of creators rather than corporations. Hopefully soon with rapid prototyping machines and the like we will see the same thing happen for engineers and the industries fed by other peoples patentable ideas.

I think YouTube will continue to be popular, just as Google has really claimed the search engine market. How long will it last? I'm not sure. Unless they reach some capacity limit that slows down their videos too much, they'll probably be a player at least until some other type of technology replaces videos online. Afterall, for as long as there have been ways to create home movies, people have done so. The changes will be in the format those are collected and shared in.

1. What is Youtube and how did it become so popular?

Youtube is a video-sharing platform that allows users to upload, view, and share videos. It was founded in 2005 by three former PayPal employees and was acquired by Google in 2006. It became popular due to its user-friendly interface, wide variety of content, and the ability for anyone to create and share their own videos.

2. Is Youtube just a passing trend or will it continue to be relevant in the future?

Based on its current success and continuous growth, it is safe to say that Youtube is not just a fad and will continue to have a permanent place in our culture. It has become a major source of entertainment, education, and information for millions of people around the world.

3. How has Youtube impacted our culture?

Youtube has had a significant impact on our culture, especially in terms of media consumption. It has changed the way we access and consume information and entertainment, giving a voice to diverse perspectives and allowing for more democratized content creation.

4. Are there any potential negative effects of Youtube on our society?

While Youtube has many positive aspects, there are also some potential negative effects on our society. These include issues with copyright infringement, online harassment and cyberbullying, and the spread of misinformation. It is important for users to be responsible and critical consumers of content on Youtube.

5. How do you see Youtube evolving in the future?

It is difficult to predict the exact direction that Youtube will take in the future, but it is likely that it will continue to expand and innovate. This may include further integration with other social media platforms, advancements in virtual and augmented reality technology, and potentially even more personalized and interactive content. Only time will tell how Youtube will continue to shape our culture.