Sky Color on Planet Orbiting Zeta Tucanae (F9V, CI 0.576)

• Thread starter dsisk559
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Color Sky
In summary, the color of the sky on an extra-solar planet orbiting Zeta Tucanae with a similar atmosphere to Earth can be determined by the thickness of the atmosphere and the particles suspended in it. The Sun's light is white, but the thick atmosphere of Earth scatters blue light, making the sky appear blue. On Mars, the sky appears red due to the presence of red dust. The Rayleigh scattering effect plays a major role in determining the color of the sky, with shorter wavelengths being scattered more than longer ones.
dsisk559
What color is the sky on extra-solar planet?

Hi I'm writing a story and I need to figure out what color the sky is on a planet orbiting Zeta Tucanae that has close to the same atmosphere as earth.

just so you know Zeta Tucanae's Spectrum is F9V and Color Index is 0.576

It would be great if you can tell me how to find the color myself, or direct me to something that will, that way I won't have to bug you guys in the future.

Thanks alot,
Dan

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Dan! Welcome to PF! :smile:

F9 is only two grades hotter than the Sun (the Sun is G2, and it goes F9, G1, G2, …), so the intrinsic light will be pretty similar.

But the sky colour really depends on the thickness of the atmosphere, and whatever's suspended in the atmosphere.

The Sun's light is actually white, but Earth's atmosphere is so thick that diffraction makes the sky blue and direct sunlight yellow.

(btw, I've never really understood why the Moon doesn't also look yellow, on that basis :confused:)

On Mars, the sky is red, but that's only because of all the red dust in it. :wink:

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayleigh_scattering#Rayleigh_scattering_from_molecules"
The strong wavelength dependence of the scattering (~λ−4) means that blue light is scattered much more readily than red light. In the atmosphere, this results in blue wavelengths being scattered to a greater extent than longer (red) wavelengths, and so one sees blue light coming from all regions of the sky. Direct radiation (by definition) is coming directly from the Sun. Rayleigh scattering is a good approximation to the manner in which light scattering occurs within various media for which scattering particles have a small size parameter.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the sky color on a planet orbiting Zeta Tucanae?

The sky color on a planet orbiting Zeta Tucanae (F9V, CI 0.576) would most likely be blue, similar to Earth's sky color. However, the exact shade of blue may vary depending on the composition of the planet's atmosphere.

2. Why is the sky color on a planet orbiting Zeta Tucanae blue?

The sky color on a planet orbiting Zeta Tucanae (F9V, CI 0.576) is most likely blue due to the Rayleigh scattering phenomenon. This occurs when sunlight passes through the planet's atmosphere, with blue light being scattered more than other colors, resulting in a blue sky.

3. Is the sky color on a planet orbiting Zeta Tucanae the same all day?

No, the sky color on a planet orbiting Zeta Tucanae (F9V, CI 0.576) would not be the same all day. Like Earth, the color of the sky would change throughout the day due to factors such as the position of the sun, cloud cover, and atmospheric conditions.

4. Would the sky color on a planet orbiting Zeta Tucanae change depending on the planet's distance from its star?

Yes, the sky color on a planet orbiting Zeta Tucanae (F9V, CI 0.576) may change depending on the planet's distance from its star. The amount of light and heat received from the star would impact atmospheric conditions and potentially alter the color of the sky.

5. Can the sky color on a planet orbiting Zeta Tucanae be determined through telescopic observations?

Telescopic observations of a planet orbiting Zeta Tucanae (F9V, CI 0.576) could provide some insight into the planet's atmosphere and potential sky color. However, more detailed analysis would likely require spacecraft missions and direct observations of the planet's atmosphere.