Solve Normal Stress Problem: Width of 30kN Offset Link, 73MPa Max

In summary, the problem involves determining the required width of an offset link that can support a load of 30 kN without exceeding a total normal stress of 73 MPa. The link has a rectangular cross section with a thickness of 40 mm. Various attempts have been made to solve the problem, including using the shear force formula, but the correct solution has not been found yet.
ashleyw6

Homework Statement

An offset link supports a load of 30 kN as shown in figure 6. Determine its required width w if the total (combined) normal stress is not to exceed 73 MPa?

The cross section of the link is rectangular and has thickness of 40 mm

Homework Equations

stress= N/A

I have tried many different ways to solve this problem but end up hitting a wall! any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Attachments

• Figure 6.JPG
    Figure 6.JPG
    3.5 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi ashley, welcome to pf

can't see the pic yet, they usually take a while to claar, what have you tried?

Hi lanedance,

I have tried using the shearforce formula: [tex]\tau=VQ/It[/tex] but am unable to get any where...

without being able to see the pic... why are you finding shear stress? when you want to find normal stress (Force/Area)

wow how dumb do i look :P i have tried solving the question in every way i could think of but i am doing something wrong. I have used the normal shear formula but again to no avail.
Thanks for the help!

1. What is normal stress?

Normal stress is a type of stress that occurs when a force is applied perpendicular (or normal) to the surface of an object. It is measured in units of force per unit area, such as Newtons per square meter (N/m^2) or Pascals (Pa).

2. How do you calculate normal stress?

To calculate normal stress, you need to know the applied force and the cross-sectional area of the object. The formula is stress = force / area. So in this case, the normal stress would be calculated as 30kN / (width in meters x 1m).

3. What is an offset link?

An offset link is a type of mechanical component that is used to connect two parts of a system that are not in line with each other. It is often used in machinery and equipment to transfer motion or power between non-parallel components.

4. What does the 73MPa max represent in this problem?

The 73MPa max represents the maximum allowable normal stress that the offset link can withstand before it fails. It is important to calculate and consider this value in engineering and design to ensure the safety and durability of the component.

5. How can I solve a normal stress problem for an offset link?

To solve a normal stress problem for an offset link, you will need to know the applied force, the dimensions of the link (such as width and thickness), and the maximum allowable stress. You can then use the formula stress = force / area to calculate the normal stress and compare it to the maximum allowable stress to determine if the link is suitable for the given application.