Advice need - Photonics - Telecoms or High power lasers and systems ?

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on their future career path in the field of photonics, specifically in the areas of telecoms and high power laser systems. They are considering pursuing a PhD or relocating to another country for better career prospects. They ask for advice on which career path has more potential and whether Australia, the UK, or the US would be a better location for their career in photonics.
haslk
Advice needed - Photonics - Telecoms or High power lasers and systems ?

Hi !

I recently concluded a masters in photonic comms with a distinction, and I'm currently contemplating :

1) Studying further (PhD) and if so which path with respect to Future of Photonics
2) Relocating (better career prospects , with respect to future of photonics. vs family commitments)

So, I would like to get any advice on,

1.) Which career path is better and has more potential - Photonics and Telecoms transmission etc or Photonics and High power laser systems etc or anything else ?

2.) I'm currently in the UK, contemplating moving to Aussie, is that a good place for photonics ? Is UK better ? or moving to U.S a better option ?
( I know its a very general and very broad question )

any advice and comments appreciated ! Thanks !

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You would move to Australia? Australia has good rep?
I'm curious, as I'm from Australia, currently studying here and contemplating doing post-grad somewhere overseas.

First of all, congratulations on completing your masters in photonic comms with a distinction! That is a great achievement and shows your dedication and hard work in the field of photonics.

To answer your first question, both paths have their own potential and it ultimately depends on your interests and career goals. If you are interested in the telecommunications industry and want to work on developing communication systems and technologies, then focusing on photonics and telecoms transmission would be a good choice. On the other hand, if you have a passion for high power lasers and systems, then pursuing a career in that field would be a better fit for you. It is important to consider your interests, strengths, and long-term goals when making this decision.

As for your second question, it is difficult to say which location would be the best for photonics as it depends on various factors such as job opportunities, research facilities, and cost of living. However, the US and the UK are known for their strong presence in the field of photonics, with many top universities and research institutions conducting cutting-edge research. Australia also has a growing photonics industry, with opportunities for both research and industry positions. It is important to research and consider all factors before making a decision to relocate.

Overall, my advice would be to carefully consider your interests and career goals and choose a path that aligns with them. Additionally, do thorough research on job prospects and opportunities in different locations before making a decision to relocate. Best of luck in your future endeavors in photonics!

1. What is photonics?

Photonics is the science and technology of generating, controlling, and detecting light particles called photons. It involves the study of light and its applications in various fields such as telecommunications, medicine, and environmental sensing.

2. How does photonics relate to telecoms?

Photonics plays a crucial role in telecommunication systems as it is used to transmit and receive data through optical fibers. This technology allows for faster and more efficient communication compared to traditional methods that use electrical signals.

3. What are high power lasers and systems?

High power lasers are lasers that are capable of delivering a large amount of energy in a short period of time. They are used in various applications such as cutting, welding, and drilling. High power laser systems are setups that include the laser source, optics, and other components necessary for the laser to function.

4. What are the benefits of using high power lasers and systems?

High power lasers and systems offer several benefits, including increased precision, faster processing speed, and the ability to work with a variety of materials. They also have a smaller heat-affected zone, reducing the risk of damage to surrounding materials.

5. What industries use photonics, telecoms, and high power lasers and systems?

Photonics, telecoms, and high power lasers and systems have a wide range of applications in industries such as telecommunications, healthcare, manufacturing, military and defense, and aerospace. They are also used in research and development for various scientific fields.