Solubility: Finding Without Boiling Water

• Thread starter Char. Limit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solubility
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the solubility of a substance in solution without boiling the water out, and whether it can be done safely. Suggestions such as using specific gravity or refractive index are given, but ultimately the solution is found to be in pure form and the project is completed successfully. The use of acid-base titration is also mentioned as a method for determining the concentration of the substance.
Char. Limit
Gold Member
Is there any method to find the solubility of a substance in solution... without boiling the water out of the solution? In other words, can you find the solubility of a substance in solution while somehow keeping it in solution (far less dangerous)?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
By solubility, do you mean concentration?

For many common substances, you should be able to find curves that connect concentration and specific gravity. It is easy to measure specific gravity of the solution by the means of a hydrometer or a sensitive scale. Another method is to measure the refractive index, that works best for substances whose native refractive indices are substantially different from that of water.

No, I really do mean solubility in water, unfortunately.

What's wrong with taking a fixed volume of water and gradually adding the substance till you obtain a saturated solution?

The substance (H3PO3) is already in solution, and my chemistry teacher warned me that getting it to pure form could be dangerous, what with there being phosphorus and all.

So I have no pure form, and was warned that boiling the solution to get pure form could be dangerous.

I have good news!

The product arrived today, and contrary to what we thought, it was in pure form! My culminating project is being done tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Not phosphoric - phosphorous.

Everything went well!

Yep, sorry. Still - acid base titration was an easy way to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just glad that my chemistry teacher pronounced my actual work good, and my big problem... is explaining things...

What is solubility?

Solubility refers to the ability of a substance, known as the solute, to dissolve in a solvent, such as water, to form a homogeneous mixture. It is typically measured in terms of the maximum amount of solute that can dissolve in a given amount of solvent at a specific temperature.

Why is solubility important in science?

Solubility plays a crucial role in many scientific processes and applications. For example, in chemistry, it helps determine the properties and behavior of substances in different solvents. In biology, it affects the absorption and transportation of nutrients in the body. In environmental science, it impacts the distribution of pollutants in water and soil.

How can solubility be determined without boiling water?

Solubility can be determined using various methods, such as titration, spectrophotometry, and gravimetric analysis. These techniques involve measuring the concentration of a dissolved substance in a solution and using mathematical calculations to determine its solubility.

What factors affect solubility?

The solubility of a substance can be influenced by several factors, including temperature, pressure, and the nature of the solute and solvent. Generally, solubility increases with higher temperatures and decreases with higher pressures. The polarity and molecular structure of the solute and solvent also play a significant role in determining solubility.

Can solubility change over time?

Yes, solubility can change over time due to various factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other substances in the solution. This is known as supersaturation, where a solution contains more solute than it can normally hold. As the conditions change, the excess solute may precipitate out of the solution, altering its solubility.