How does elastic recoil of arteries stop blood pressure going to zero?

In summary: Well A Wigger Diagram is based on human anatomy... which includes elastic recoil... Imagine that there was no elastic recoil how do you think that would effect this pressure causing flow of blood?Thanks Zom
sameeralord
How does elastic recoil of arteries stop blood pressure going to zero and artey collapsing? Thanks :smile:

Biology news on Phys.org
sameeralord said:
How does elastic recoil of arteries stop blood pressure going to zero and artey collapsing? Thanks :smile:

Elastic recoil is basically the tendency of some tissues and cells to return to their original shape after it has been deformed. If you think about this maybe you can come to an answer on your own :wink: if not then just post again and I'll help you out some more.

Do you mean volume of the artery increases and then comes back to normal, so there is always some blood remaining? I'm really not sure please can you give me a straight forward answer. Thanks!

sameeralord said:
Do you mean volume of the artery increases and then comes back to normal, so there is always some blood remaining? I'm really not sure please can you give me a straight forward answer. Thanks!

Hmmm no...

If the blood pressure were totally dependent on the contractions of the heart then there would only be an increase of pressure when the heart contracts. Then pressure would go back to 0 really quickly until the next contraction. The elastic recoil of the arteries allows the artery to expand as normal but then exert an inward force to create blood pressure. The artery is slowly returning back to it's original shape which is continually 'maintaining' pressure. (because it's continually pressing inwards... the blood pressure is gradually lowering but pressure), this is why blood pressure fluctuates for a normal person between 70-120 mmHg.

To sum this up the inward pressure created by the elastic recoil of the arteries continues to apply pressure on the blood which forces the blood to continue to flow. If there was no pressure exerted on the blood then obviously blood pressure must be 0.

Are you sure?

Someone else asked a question that led me to point them to a Wiggers Diagram that they didn't understand. I didn't feel capable of answering their follow-up questions but thought about it a bit.

Depending where blood pressure is measured, for instance, core volume provides a large determinant for BP. I started to analogize static head for a mechanical pump.

Anyway, look at a Wigger Diagram and note that nowhere does it plot precisely zero pressure. Aortic pressure is low but not zero, ventricle pressure is far from zero, as is arterial/aortic pressure.

Doug Huffman said:
Are you sure?

Someone else asked a question that led me to point them to a Wiggers Diagram that they didn't understand. I didn't feel capable of answering their follow-up questions but thought about it a bit.

Depending where blood pressure is measured, for instance, core volume provides a large determinant for BP. I started to analogize static head for a mechanical pump.

Anyway, look at a Wigger Diagram and note that nowhere does it plot precisely zero pressure. Aortic pressure is low but not zero, ventricle pressure is far from zero, as is arterial/aortic pressure.

Well A Wigger Diagram is based on human anatomy... which includes elastic recoil... Imagine that there was no elastic recoil how do you think that would effect this pressure causing flow of blood?

Thanks Zom I got it. I can see that Doug is pointing something useful but at the moment I'll stick with your explanation.

1. What is the elastic recoil of arteries?

The elastic recoil of arteries refers to the ability of the arterial walls to stretch and then return to their original shape. This is due to the presence of elastic fibers in the arterial walls, which allow them to expand and contract in response to changes in blood pressure.

2. How does elastic recoil of arteries regulate blood pressure?

The elastic recoil of arteries plays a crucial role in regulating blood pressure. When the heart pumps blood into the arteries, the elastic walls of the arteries stretch to accommodate the increased volume of blood. This stretching helps to reduce the pressure of the blood flow, preventing it from reaching dangerously high levels.

3. What happens if the elastic recoil of arteries is impaired?

If the elastic recoil of arteries is impaired, it can lead to high blood pressure or hypertension. This is because the arteries are unable to stretch and accommodate the increased blood flow, causing the pressure to rise. Over time, this can lead to damage to the arteries and other organs in the body.

4. How does the elastic recoil of arteries prevent blood pressure from dropping to zero?

The elastic recoil of arteries is essential in maintaining blood pressure and preventing it from dropping to zero. When the heart relaxes between beats, the elastic recoil of the arteries helps to maintain a continuous flow of blood by pushing the blood forward. This prevents the blood pressure from dropping to zero and ensures that vital organs receive a consistent supply of oxygen and nutrients.

5. Can the elastic recoil of arteries be improved?

Yes, the elastic recoil of arteries can be improved through regular exercise, a healthy diet, and avoiding risk factors for cardiovascular disease, such as smoking and excess alcohol consumption. These lifestyle changes can help to maintain the elasticity of the arterial walls, thereby improving their ability to regulate blood pressure.