Patches and Surfaces (Differential Geometry)

In summary: Therefore, x is injective and thus a patch. To find better resources for understanding differential geometry, you may want to try looking for online lectures or video tutorials, as well as consulting with your professors or classmates. Some recommended textbooks include "Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces" by Manfredo Do Carmo and "Elementary Differential Geometry" by Barrett O'Neill. Additionally, there are plenty of free online notes and resources available from universities such as MIT and UC Davis.
i1100
I'm completely confused with patches, which were introduced to us very briefly (we were just given pictures in class). I am using the textbook Elementary Differential Geometry by O'Neill which I can't read for the life of me. I'm here with a simple question and a somewhat harder one.

Homework Statement

Is the following mapping x:R^2 to R^3 a patch?

x(u,v)=(u, uv, v)?

Homework Equations

For a mapping to be a patch, it must be one-to-one (injective) and regular (smooth).

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how to show that it is regular; for any arbitrary direction, either the directional derivative of the x component or the directional derivative of the y component is non-zero. Now, I don't know how to prove that it is injective. The book gives a hint: x is one-to-one iff x(u,v) = x(u_1, v_1) implies (u,v)=(u_1,v_1).

So my attempt was to just let x(u_1,v_1) = (u_1, u_1v_1, v_1) so that
(u_1, u_1v_1, v_1)=(u, uv, v). Is this the correct way of going about it? I feel like I didn't show anything.

Can someone also point me toward a better book or online notes where I can try to understand some of this material?

Thank you, any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose that x(u,v)=x(w,z). Then (u,uv,v)=(w,wz,z), and this implies (u,v)=(w,z).

1. What is differential geometry?

Differential geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of geometric objects using the tools of calculus and linear algebra. It focuses on the study of curves, surfaces, and higher dimensional objects and their geometric properties such as curvature, geodesics, and metrics.

2. What are patches and surfaces in differential geometry?

Patches refer to small regions on a surface that can be approximated by a plane. Surfaces are two-dimensional objects that can be described by a set of patches. Patches are useful in differential geometry because they allow us to study the local properties of a surface in a simpler way.

3. How are patches and surfaces related to smoothness?

Patches and surfaces are considered smooth if they have no sharp corners or edges. This means that at any point on the surface, there exists a tangent plane that can be used to approximate the surface. Smooth surfaces are important in differential geometry because they allow for the use of calculus to study their properties.

4. What is the Gauss-Bonnet theorem and how does it relate to patches and surfaces?

The Gauss-Bonnet theorem is a fundamental result in differential geometry that relates the curvature of a surface to its topology. It states that the total curvature of a surface is equal to 2π times the Euler characteristic of the surface. This theorem is useful in understanding the global properties of surfaces and can be applied to patches to determine their curvature.

5. How is differential geometry used in real-world applications?

Differential geometry has many applications in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to describe the shape of physical objects such as planets and to study the behavior of light and other waves. It is also used in computer graphics to create realistic 3D models and animations. In engineering, it is used to design curved surfaces such as bridges and airplane wings.