Mobius Band as Bundle Over S^1: Trivialization Containing (1,0) in S^1

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Band
In summary, the Mobius band M is a bundle over S^1 with trivializations for all points except for the trouble point (1,0). The construction of the bundle involves identifying points on [0,1]xR, where [0,1] is the unit interval in the real numbers, and projecting down to S^1. To remove the twist at (1,0), a diffeomorphism f is defined that maps the remaining piece of the bundle onto a rectangle, locally trivializing the bundle over S^1.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi:
I am trying to show that the Mobius Band M is a
bundle over S^1.
It seems easy to find trivializations for all points
except for the trouble point (1,0).

This is what I have so far:

Let R be the reals, and I<R be the unit interval
[0,1]< R (i.e., [0,1] as a subspace of the Reals.)

We have these maps:

1) p:I-->S^1 , a qiotient map, i.e., we give S^1 the

quotient topology.

2) q: a quotient map on IxR : identify points

(0,y) with (1,-y) . The "identified space"

--i.e., the quotient of IxR by q -- will be the

top space. (this is the Mob. Band.)

3)The Projection map Pi ,from the top space in 2

down to S^1 is defined by :

Pi([s,t])= p(')

( where ' is the class of s under p:[0,1]->S^1 as above, so that the clases are:

{ {0,1}, {x} ) : 0<x<1 }

Then: *****

A trivialization for U= S^1-{(1,0)} is

U itself; Pi^-1(U)=(1,0)xR , is already a

product space. The identity map gives us a homeo.

A trivialization containing the point (1,0) in S^1:

This seems to work, but seems too easy:

We consider an open set (open in S^1 ; quotient ) containing (1,0). We parametrize

S^1 by arclength , "based" at (1,0), (i.e., arclength at (1,0)=0) , and we use , e.g.,

an arc U from (0.1) , to (0,-1) .

We want to show that Pi^-1(U) is homeo. to UxR . We have:

Pi^-1(U) =[0,1.57]xR union [4.71,6.28]xR

Am I on the right track?.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pi^-1(U) =[0,1.57]xR union [4.71,6.28]xR

How can these numbers be right if the bundle is a quotient of [0,1] x R ?!

For simplicity, I suggest you consider U=S^1\(-1,0) so that Pi^1(U)=([0,1]\{½} x R )/~.

And now the goal is to remove the twist of the bundle that's "at" the fiber over (1,0).

"Pi^-1(U) =[0,1.57]xR union [4.71,6.28]xR

How can these numbers be right if the bundle is a quotient of [0,1] x R ?!"

Right. My bad; I did not rescale by 2PI. This should be:

Pi^-1(U)=[0,1/4]xR union [3/4,1]xR

"For simplicity, I suggest you consider U=S^1\(-1,0) so that Pi^1(U)=([0,1]\{½} x R )/~.

And now the goal is to remove the twist of the bundle that's "at" the fiber over (1,0)"

O.K, thanks. I tried it, but I don't see too well how to remove the twist:

This is what I got: (R^+ is the positive reals, etc.)

Pi^-1(U)= [[0,1/2)xR union (1/2,1]xR]/~ =

0xR^+ union (0,1/2)xR union (1/2,1)xR union 1xR^+ union (0,0)

i.e., I collapsed 1xR^- with 0xR^+ , and I collapsed 0xR^- with 1xR^+ , and

(0,0)~(1,0).

How does this help, tho.?. Would you please suggest.?

With U=S^1\(-1,0), we have Pi^1(U)=([0,1]\{½} x R )/~. Write [t,x] for the equivalence class of (t,x) under ~.

Define a diffeomorphism f:Pi^1(U) --> (½,3/2) x R by setting

f([t,x]) = (t,x) for (t,x) in (½,1] x R,
f([t,x])=(t+1,-x) for (t,x) in [0,½) x R

Quasar 987 wrote:

" With U=S^1\(-1,0), we have Pi^1(U)=([0,1]\{½} x R )/~. Write [t,x] for the equivalence class of (t,x) under ~.

Define a diffeomorphism f:Pi^1(U) --> (½,3/2) x R by setting

f([t,x]) = (t,x) for (t,x) in (½,1] x R,
f([t,x])=(t+1,-x) for (t,x) in [0,½) x R "

Interesting. I too have been curious about the details of the Mobius Bundle as

a non-trivial bundle over the circle. Just a couple of comments, though:

It seems like a point like, e.g., [5/3xR] would be sent outside of (1/2,3/2)xR.

Also: would you give some insight into how the twisting ( at the point (1,0)) is "solved"?

Specifically, It just seems strange that we can have a diffeomorphism , given the

twisting at (1,0). Would you comment.?

Mmh, but 5/3 >1 while points of the bundle are of the form [t,x] with t in [0,1].

The idea of the construction of f is simply this: if you have a Mobius strip made of paper and if you take scissors and cut it "vertically" (this corresponds to removing the slice [{½}xR] in post #4 above), then there is no more "twist" as you can now take the remaining piece of paper and lay it flat on a table to form a rectangle: you have locally trivialized the mobius bundle. This is just what the map f does; it take ([0,1]\{½} x R )/~ and flattens it on the table (R^2).

What is a Mobius Band as Bundle Over S^1?

A Mobius Band as Bundle Over S^1 is a mathematical concept that describes a Mobius Band (a one-sided, non-orientable surface) that is wrapped around a circle (S^1) in a specific way. It can be visualized as a twisted cylinder.

What does "Trivialization Containing (1,0) in S^1" mean?

This phrase refers to a specific point on the circle (S^1) that serves as a reference point for the Mobius Band as Bundle Over S^1. In this case, the point (1,0) represents the starting point of the band as it wraps around the circle.

Why is the Mobius Band as Bundle Over S^1 important in mathematics?

The Mobius Band as Bundle Over S^1 is important because it is an example of a non-trivial vector bundle, which is a mathematical object used to study the properties of vector spaces (spaces with both direction and magnitude). It also has applications in topology and geometry.

How is the Mobius Band as Bundle Over S^1 related to the concept of orientation?

The Mobius Band as Bundle Over S^1 is a non-orientable surface, meaning it does not have a consistent "front" and "back" side. This is because it has a half-twist in its structure. This concept is important in understanding orientation and how it affects mathematical objects.

Can the Mobius Band as Bundle Over S^1 be visualized in three-dimensional space?

Yes, the Mobius Band as Bundle Over S^1 can be visualized in three-dimensional space. In fact, it can be created by taking a strip of paper, giving it a half-twist, and then connecting the ends to form a loop. This loop can then be wrapped around a cylinder to create the Mobius Band as Bundle Over S^1.