Force of Pulled/Pushed Rod: What's the Difference?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference in force required to sustain constant velocity when pulling or pushing a rod at a 45° angle to the horizontal. This difference is due to the normal reaction force, which is affected by the vertical component of the applied force and thus affects the friction force. The correct calculation for the force is F = f / cos(x), where f is the friction force and x is the angle. In scenario 1, the correct answer is F = 20.2 N, while in scenario 2, the correct answer is F = 47.1 N. This difference highlights the importance of understanding the relationship between normal reaction force and friction force in different scenarios.
FelixISF
Rod is 1. pulled, 2. pushed horizontally. Force required to sustain constant vel.?

Homework Statement

There are 2 scenarios.

1. A rod of mass 5kg is first pulled at constant velocity by a force at 45° to the horizontal.
2. Then the same rod is pushed at constant velocity by a force at 45° to the horizontal.

Assuming that in both cases the frictional force is horizontal and equal to 0.4 times the normal reaction force on the rod, find the force F in each case.

Why is the force different in 1 and 2? (Especially important to me, because I don't understand why it should be different)

Homework Equations

weight = mass x gravity
normal reaction force N = cos(x) x weight
friction force f = 0.4 x N
f = x-component of F. therefore.. F = f/ cos (x)

The Attempt at a Solution

In scenario 1:
I found the weight to be 50N.
Then the reaction force must be cos (45) x 50N = 35N.
Thus the friction must be 0.4 x 35 N = 14 N
Thus F = 14 / cos (45) =19.71 N

This answer is wrong (F = 20.2 N according to answer key) and I don't understand why.

In scenario 2, I don't know why it makes a difference if the rod is pushed or pulled. I again i get F = 19.71 N, even though the answer is supposed to be F = 47.1 N

Thank you for your support!

Physics news on Phys.org

Basically what you forgot, the friction depends on the normal force, but the normal force is not only the gravitational force.
It also depends on the vertical component of your applied force.
Thats also where the difference will come from, if you pull the normal force will decrease so will the friction, if you push the normal force will increase and so will the friction.

thank you. that helped.

no problem ;)

What is the force of a pulled or pushed rod?

The force of a pulled or pushed rod refers to the amount of energy exerted on the rod in order to move it in a specific direction. It is typically measured in units of Newtons (N).

What is the difference between pulling and pushing a rod?

The main difference between pulling and pushing a rod is the direction of the force applied. When pulling, the force is directed towards the person pulling, while when pushing, the force is directed away from the person pushing.

What factors affect the force of a pulled or pushed rod?

The force of a pulled or pushed rod is affected by a variety of factors, including the mass of the rod, the angle of the force, and the surface on which the rod is being pulled or pushed.

How does the force of a pulled or pushed rod affect its motion?

The force of a pulled or pushed rod affects its motion by causing it to accelerate in the direction of the force. The greater the force, the greater the acceleration and the faster the rod will move.

What are some real-world examples of pulling and pushing a rod?

Real-world examples of pulling and pushing a rod include pulling a door open, pushing a shopping cart, and pulling a wagon. In all of these examples, a force is applied to the rod in order to move it in a specific direction.