Astronomical data in an Ephemeris

• Thread starter Philosophaie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Data
In summary, the Ephemeris lists the Right Ascension and Declination of the 7th brightest star in Leo. The Galactic Center is listed at 26Sag59.5 for March and Vernal Point, 05Pis06.47. There are no equations for the motion of these objects using Julian Date and other parameters. The ephemeris was found on www.astroamerica.com.
Philosophaie
Astronomical data in an Ephemeris comes in the form:

07Constellation38.2
or
07Leo38.2

What is the value, 07, represent? I think I understand the Constellation the object is passing thru like the planet and the moon. Also what does the 38.2 stand for? Do they stand for Right Ascension and Declination?

Second part, the Galactic Center listed at 26Sag59.5 for March and Vernal Point, 05Pis06.47, are there any equations for the motion of these using Julian Date and other parameters.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Where did you see this ephemeris?

Book:"The American Ephemeris for the 21st Century 2000-2050 at Midnight - Michelsen"

Looks like the number of the star: the 7th brightest star in Leo.

The true moon's node is in Leo till 4-10-10. Not sure about the brightness of stars in Leo.Was it near Regulus? Vesta is now in that constellation?

I still want to know what what is the meaning of 07Leo38.2 or anything similar (zodiac constellations and the numbers before and after).

Last edited:
Leo's Right Ascension varies from 145 to 177 deg. Declination varies between 6-25deg. It must be Declination that they are referring to in 07Leo38.2. Is that correct?

The above RA and DEC come from Wikipedia.

My data page looks exactly like yours except it was off by a few decimal places. I see there was a partial Soloar Eclipse on DEc 25,2000 @17:34:35. Not sure what the 07:23 means.

Is it the declination listed in the entries in this ephemeris:

07Leo38.2 = 7deg 38.2min=Dec?

Last edited:
The above post is wrong. The ephemeris goes by Right Ascension. The ephemeris cycles from 0 to 30 with a constellation sign and numbers before and after. The numbers before are the degrees and after are the minutes.

07Leo38.2 = 7deg 38.2min = 7.63666667Deg

The House of Leo is 150<=RA<=180. To get the RA position add Deg to 150.

RA = 157.6366667deg

I know that the Ephemeris data is actually the longitude of the Earth. I need a way to convert "07Leo38.2" to the Right Ascension.

Just curious, why are you using an ephemeris? They are used quite often by astrologists to calculate placements along the ecliptic.

I am using it to compare the RA and DEC data of the planets I have. I will use the Ephemeris data to give a reasonable approximation of the longitude. I read that the ellptic is 23.4deg (Obliquity) displaced from the Celestial Equator. I think I can base my calculations on that.

Last edited:

1. What is an Ephemeris?

An Ephemeris is a table or chart that contains astronomical data, such as the positions and movements of celestial bodies, for a specific period of time. It is used by astronomers and astrologers to track the positions of planets, stars, and other celestial objects.

2. What type of data is included in an Ephemeris?

An Ephemeris typically includes data such as the coordinates (right ascension and declination) of celestial objects, their distances from Earth, their apparent magnitudes, and their movements (such as rising and setting times). It may also contain data on eclipses, planetary conjunctions, and other significant astronomical events.

3. How is an Ephemeris created?

An Ephemeris is created using mathematical calculations and observations from telescopes and other instruments. Astronomers use data from previous observations and scientific theories to predict the positions and movements of celestial bodies, which is then compiled into an Ephemeris.

4. What is the purpose of an Ephemeris?

The main purpose of an Ephemeris is to assist in astronomical research and observations. It allows scientists to accurately predict the positions and movements of celestial bodies, which is essential for studying and understanding the universe. It is also used in navigation and astrological predictions.

5. How often is an Ephemeris updated?

An Ephemeris is typically updated on a regular basis, depending on the period of time it covers. Some may be updated daily, while others may be updated monthly or annually. The accuracy of an Ephemeris is crucial, so updates are necessary to reflect the most current and precise data available.