Possible to learn Calculus from an Analysis book?

In summary, the conversation is about choosing between two calculus books, Spivak and Courant, for self-teaching purposes. The difference between calculus and analysis is discussed, with both books being described as rigorous and demanding. The main distinction between the two is that Spivak is more focused on proofs while Courant emphasizes applications. It is recommended to have a strong understanding of algebra and to brush up on proof and logic skills before diving into these books.
Frzn
So I'm trying to decide which of the following to get:

Spivak (Calculus)
Courant (Introduction to Calculus and Analysis)

I've heard both of these are analysis books. I'd like to try and self teach myself using one of them, until I take calc 1 + 2 in the summer. I'd also like a more rigorous approach to math to give myself a deeper understanding of it. My question is, can I learn calculus from the ground up from an 'analysis' book? I'm really not sure of the difference between calculus and analysis.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is an exaggeration to call either of these an analysis book. A better characterization would be that they are rigorous calculus books.

Courant covers more applications than Spivak, and is just a little bit looser with the rigor.

Spivak dots every i and crosses every t in his proofs and covers limiting/epsilon-delta arguments in much more detail, whereas I thought Courant's treatment was more rushed and brusque.

Spivak's exercises emphasize proofs whereas Courant's emphasize applications.

Both are excellent books, and if possible you should take a look at both of them so you can decide for yourself which suits you better.

You can certainly learn calculus from either of these books. They are both much more demanding than the typical calculus book, but if you are up to the challenge then you will come away much better equipped.

There isn't a well-defined boundary between calculus and analysis. Both deal with limiting processes in the real number system, in particular differentiation and integration.

"Calculus" often carries the connotation of emphasizing how to calculate derivatives and integrals, whereas "analysis" usually implies treating the same topics with greater rigor, more generality, and more emphasis on theoretical questions versus calculations or applications. But there's a lot of overlap.

I'm mostly through Spivak as my first exposure to calculus. If your algebra is solid, and you're very thorough in studying the book (laboring over every detail in the chapters), then you'll get a better calculus education than a more watered down approach. You can compensate for less applications by picking out good problem books, I think.

It also would help a lot to brush up on how proofs work.

I think it's more beneficial to take the following approach -

"problem, problem, and problem", then introduce to proofs/logic, and then finally revisit using proofs/logic.

start from top one at a time -

1) Calculus: Early Transcendentals <- pretty good when it comes to problem solving

2) An Introduction to Mathematical Reasoning <- will build you a fantastic proof/logic base

3) Real Analysis <- alike other springer books, very easy to read and might i add it gets the job done well

4) Understanding Analysis <- further insight

Yes, it is possible to learn calculus from an analysis book. In fact, many universities use analysis books as the main text for their calculus courses. Analysis is a more advanced and rigorous version of calculus, so studying from an analysis book will not only prepare you for your calculus courses but also give you a deeper understanding of the subject. However, it is important to note that analysis books may be more challenging for beginners compared to traditional calculus textbooks, so it is important to have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry before attempting to learn from an analysis book. It is also recommended to supplement your learning with practice problems and additional resources. Ultimately, the best book for you will depend on your learning style and goals, so it is important to do some research and choose the book that best suits your needs.

1. Is it necessary to have prior knowledge of calculus to learn from an analysis book?

No, it is not necessary to have prior knowledge of calculus to learn from an analysis book. However, having a basic understanding of algebra and trigonometry will be helpful.

2. How is learning calculus from an analysis book different from a traditional calculus textbook?

Analysis books tend to focus more on the theoretical and foundational aspects of calculus, while traditional calculus textbooks may have more practical examples and applications.

3. Can I still learn calculus without a teacher or instructor?

Yes, it is possible to learn calculus from an analysis book without a teacher or instructor. However, having someone to guide and clarify any questions you may have can be beneficial.

4. How long does it typically take to learn calculus from an analysis book?

The time it takes to learn calculus from an analysis book will vary for each individual. It depends on your prior knowledge, dedication, and learning pace. It could take anywhere from a few months to a year.

5. Are there any resources or supplements that can help with learning calculus from an analysis book?

Yes, there are various online resources and practice problems that can supplement your learning from an analysis book. It may also be helpful to consult with a teacher or join a study group for additional support.