Want to Create a Traffic Light System for Your Next Capstone Project?

In summary, the speaker is a high school senior looking for a capstone project that will challenge their abilities and incorporate their skills in digital electronics, including writing problem statements, creating truth tables, and creating circuits using logic gates. They are also interested in learning how to code and would consider a project idea with coding involved. One possible project suggestion is building a traffic light system for an intersection, which can vary in complexity depending on the level of challenge desired.
Daugusta12
Hey guys, just found this site and i am currently in need of help to find a good capstone project. I am currently a senior in high school and this capstone course is 12 weeks long. After high school i want to go to collage for electrical engineering so that is what i want to do with my capstone project. I am currently in my second trimester of a class called Digital Electronics which focuses on Electrical Engineering. The thing is, i cannot come up with a project that will both challenge my abilities, take 12 weeks to complete, or be plausible for me to complete with my limited knowledge in the field. So far the skills i have learned in my Digital Electronic class along with others would be, how to write a problem statement, how to take a problem and create a truth table from the said problem, create and simplify a boolean statement, with K-maping and the rules of boolean algebra, and how to create circuits using AOI and Nand/nor logic gates.

So i am looking for a project that could encompass these skills i have learned so far and i also want to start to learn how to code on the side, and if a project idea has a little bit of coding involved i would defiantly consider it.

Thank you very much, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Daugusta.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hopefully you were able to figure out a fun project. Now years later, we typically would use a microcontroller (uC) like an Arduino to do such a project. There are many threads in the EE forum and the DIY forum here at the PF discussing such projects.

Also, a fun project to do at that level is to build up a traffic light system for an intersection, using colored LEDs and a circuit to generate the signals and coordinate them. You can do a very simple 4-signal circuit with fixed timing, or you can get fancy and do a larger intersection with car sensors, pedestrian walk buttons and signs, turn arrow lanes, etc. Great practice! :smile:

What is a Capstone Project and why is it important?

A Capstone Project is a final research project that is typically completed by students in their last year of study. It is a comprehensive and in-depth project that integrates and applies the knowledge and skills acquired throughout their academic journey. Capstone Projects are important because they provide students with an opportunity to showcase their understanding of a specific topic and demonstrate their ability to think critically and solve complex problems.

What are some factors to consider when choosing a Capstone Project idea?

When choosing a Capstone Project idea, it is important to consider your personal interests and strengths, the current trends and advancements in your field of study, the availability of resources and data, and the potential impact and relevance of your project to the real world.

How can I come up with a unique and original Capstone Project idea?

One way to come up with a unique and original Capstone Project idea is to brainstorm and think outside the box. You can also research existing projects in your field and identify gaps or areas that have not been explored yet. Additionally, you can seek input from your peers, professors, and professionals in your field for inspiration and ideas.

Can I work on a Capstone Project idea that is not related to my major?

Yes, you can work on a Capstone Project idea that is not directly related to your major. However, it is important to ensure that the project is still aligned with your academic goals and interests. You may also need to seek guidance and resources from other departments or experts in the field to successfully complete your project.

How can I ensure the success of my Capstone Project idea?

To ensure the success of your Capstone Project, it is essential to have a clear understanding of the project requirements and timeline, conduct thorough research, seek feedback and guidance from your supervisor and peers, and stay organized and focused throughout the project. It is also important to regularly communicate with your supervisor and make necessary adjustments to your project as needed.