Calorie burner: Can this idea work?

• Thread starter jobyts
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Idea Work
In summary, staying outside on a cold winter night without much winter clothes can help the body burn a lot of calories. This is good news for people who want to lose weight, but don't want to do any exercise.
jobyts
I've an idea to help to burn calories without doing any exercise.

Stay outside on a cold winter night, without much winter clothes. Our body keeps trying to maintain the temperature and eventually burns lots of calories for doing that. Will need some research to find out the threshold temperature, at which the body gives up.

From my kids' pediatrician, I learned infants are incapable of self adjusting their body temperature, but older ones are capable of that.

Physics news on Phys.org
jobyts said:

Stay outside on a cold winter night, without much winter clothes. Our body keeps trying to maintain the temperature and eventually burns lots of calories for doing that. Will need some research to find out the threshold temperature, at which the body gives up.

From a calorie burning point of view it's a fantastic idea. It's all good till you suffer from exposure and die from hypothermia. At -60 you burn about 100cal and hour just by breathing (or something like that, I heard it on a program about the antarctic once)

Note: there is no hard and fast temperature that people can sit in with no ill effects.

jobyts said:

From my kids' pediatrician, I learned infants are incapable of self adjusting their body temperature, but older ones are capable of that.

Absolutely right. You won't care about your weight when you're dead.

Will need some research to find out the threshold temperature, at which the body gives up.

You should volunteer to be the first subject of this experiment.
Good luck.

I once went XC skiing (skate) in -7 degrees F. After about 45 minutes of that, I felt as though I had run a marathon. It took two days to recover. Talking to my cousin/doctor, he was telling me all the physiological stress I put myself through for that 45 minutes of notfun.

I don't think that hanging around in short sleeves on a 50 degree F day is going to do the same thing, though.

I find this idea interesting and potentially effective in burning calories without exercise. However, further research and experimentation would be needed to determine the exact threshold temperature at which the body starts burning significant amounts of calories to maintain its temperature. Additionally, it would be important to consider the potential risks and safety concerns of exposing oneself to extreme cold temperatures for extended periods of time. Furthermore, it is important to note that while this method may work for older children and adults, it may not be suitable for infants and young children who are still developing their ability to regulate their body temperature. Overall, while this idea shows promise, more research and careful consideration is needed before it can be recommended as a safe and effective method for burning calories.

1. How does a calorie burner work?

A calorie burner is a device or method designed to increase the number of calories burned by the body during physical activity. This can be achieved through various means such as increasing muscle activity, increasing heart rate, or increasing metabolism.

2. Is a calorie burner effective for weight loss?

While a calorie burner may help to burn more calories during physical activity, it is not a magic solution for weight loss. In order to lose weight, a person must also maintain a balanced and healthy diet. However, incorporating a calorie burner into a regular exercise routine may aid in weight loss efforts.

3. Can anyone use a calorie burner?

Most people can use a calorie burner, but it is always important to consult with a doctor before starting any new exercise routine. People with certain medical conditions or injuries may need to avoid certain types of calorie burners or modify their use.

4. Are there any risks associated with using a calorie burner?

Using a calorie burner can come with some risks, especially if not used properly. These risks include injury, overexertion, and dehydration. It is important to follow proper safety guidelines and listen to your body's limits when using a calorie burner.

5. Are there alternative methods to a calorie burner for burning more calories?

Yes, there are other ways to increase calorie burn during physical activity besides using a calorie burner. These include incorporating high-intensity interval training, increasing the duration or intensity of workouts, and incorporating resistance training. It is important to find a method that works for you and fits into your lifestyle.