Exploring the Orbital Period of a Rod-Mass System

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the gravitational force on a body in orbit and the application of an additional force on a mass attached to a thin rod. The most important parts of the problem include the equation for circular orbit time, the radius of orbit for a satellite with a period of 1 day, and the force required to keep a mass in a larger orbit with the same period. The solution involves integrating the mass elements along the length of the rod and considering the total mass of the rod to be equal to the mass of the satellite. A more elegant solution is suggested and the forum member is encouraged to ask for clarification if needed.
ian2012

Homework Statement

I've worked through part (iv) of this problem, but I am not sure if I shown enough calculation. The most important parts of the question, to put it all in context:

(i) The gravitational force on a body of mass m at a distance r from the Earth with mass mE. The time it takes to complete one circular orbit is given as

[tex]T=2 \pi \sqrt{\frac{r^{3}}{Gm_{E}}}[/tex]

(ii) The radius rG of the orbit for a satellite that has a period of 1 day is 4.22x10^7 metres.

(iii) A mass m1 is to be kept in a larger circular orbit with radius rG+delta r, delta r << rG, and the same period as in (ii), a force of magnitude

[tex]F= \frac{3 \Delta r Gm_{E} m_{1}}{r^{3}_{G}}[/tex]

has to be applied on the mass in addition to the gravitational force.

(iv) Now a thin rod with mass per unit length rho is connected to m1 and reaches all the way down to the surface of the Earth at radius rE. The rod is not attached to the surface of the earth. Show that the relation

[tex]m_{1} = \frac{\rho r^{3}_{G}}{3 \Delta r r_{E}}[/tex]

applies if the whole construction is to keep the same orbital period of 1 day.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think you might have to integrate the mass elements along the length of the rod, but what I have done is said that the force on the rod is

[tex]F = \frac{G m_{E}}{r_{E}} \frac{dm}{dr}[/tex]

The dm/dr term = the mass per unit length rho and so is constant. Therefore the force on the rod is constant through out. And so since m1 is attached to the rod, the force on the rod = the 'additional' force on m1. Equating part (iii) with the last expression, gives the answer. Is there a more elegant way to do this?

Physics news on Phys.org

It seems like you have made a good attempt at solving this problem! Your approach of considering the force on the rod as the sum of the gravitational force and the additional force is correct. However, I would suggest integrating the mass elements along the length of the rod to arrive at the final expression, as you mentioned. This would provide a more rigorous and elegant solution to the problem.

Additionally, it may be helpful to consider the fact that the total mass of the rod is equal to the mass of the satellite, m1. This can be seen by considering that the force on the rod is equal to the force on the satellite, and both are connected to the same point at the center of the Earth. Therefore, the mass per unit length, rho, can be expressed in terms of m1, rG, and rE.

I hope this helps and good luck with the rest of the problem! If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask for clarification. Keep up the good work!

1. What is an orbital period?

An orbital period is the time it takes for an object to complete one full orbit around another object in space. It is often measured in hours, days, or years depending on the size and speed of the objects involved.

2. How is the orbital period of a rod-mass system calculated?

The orbital period of a rod-mass system can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(L/GM), where T is the orbital period, L is the length of the rod, G is the gravitational constant, and M is the mass of the larger object the rod is orbiting around.

3. What factors affect the orbital period of a rod-mass system?

The orbital period of a rod-mass system is primarily affected by the length of the rod and the mass of the larger object it is orbiting around. Other factors that may influence the orbital period include the distance between the objects, the shape of the orbit, and any external forces acting on the system.

4. How does the orbital period of a rod-mass system compare to other orbital systems?

The orbital period of a rod-mass system can vary greatly depending on the length of the rod and the mass of the larger object. However, in general, the orbital period of a rod-mass system is shorter than that of a planet-moon system, but longer than that of a satellite orbiting Earth.

5. Why is it important to study the orbital period of a rod-mass system?

Studying the orbital period of a rod-mass system can provide valuable information about the dynamics of orbital systems and the laws of gravity. It can also help us better understand the behavior of objects in space and their relationship to one another.