Has Anyone Taken the Physics SAT Subject Test Without AP Physics E&M?

• Thread starter cheryylll
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sat Test
In summary, there is no requirement for taking the Physics SAT Subject Test to have taken AP Physics E&M beforehand. However, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in physics concepts and mathematical skills in order to do well on the test. Some students may choose to self-study or take additional courses in preparation for the test. Ultimately, it is up to the individual to decide if they feel confident and prepared enough to take the Physics SAT Subject Test without prior knowledge of AP Physics E&M.
cheryylll
has anyone taken the physics SAT subject test without having taken AP physics E & M?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have. I suspect most people do.

how did you do on it?

800, along with nearly 10% of other SAT physics test takers. It really isn't hard; as long as you don't miss more than 12 questions--and anybody who knows the basics would--you get 800.

oohh nice.. ok thanks (:

1. Can I take the Physics SAT Subject Test without taking AP Physics E&M?

Yes, you can take the Physics SAT Subject Test without taking AP Physics E&M. The SAT Subject Test covers a broader range of physics topics than just AP Physics E&M, so you do not need to have taken that specific course to do well on the test.

2. Will not taking AP Physics E&M put me at a disadvantage for the Physics SAT Subject Test?

No, not taking AP Physics E&M will not put you at a disadvantage for the Physics SAT Subject Test. As mentioned before, the test covers a broader range of topics and is not solely focused on AP Physics E&M. However, it is always beneficial to have a strong foundation in physics, so taking AP Physics E&M can still be helpful.

3. Will colleges prefer students who have taken both AP Physics E&M and the Physics SAT Subject Test?

It depends on the college and their specific admissions requirements. Some colleges may prefer students who have taken both courses and tests, while others may not consider it a determining factor. It is best to research the specific requirements of the colleges you are interested in to determine their preferences.

4. Can I self-study for the Physics SAT Subject Test without taking AP Physics E&M?

Yes, you can self-study for the Physics SAT Subject Test without taking AP Physics E&M. There are plenty of study materials and resources available to help you prepare for the test, even if you have not taken the corresponding AP course.

5. Will not taking AP Physics E&M affect my score on the Physics SAT Subject Test?

Not taking AP Physics E&M will not necessarily affect your score on the Physics SAT Subject Test. Your score will depend on your understanding and knowledge of the topics covered on the test, not on whether you have taken a specific course. However, as mentioned before, having a strong foundation in physics can still be beneficial for performing well on the test.