Abstract Algebra: Polynomials problem

In summary, abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that focuses on abstract mathematical structures, rather than specific numbers or equations. It includes the study of algebraic systems and their properties, such as groups, rings, and fields. A polynomial is an algebraic expression consisting of variables and coefficients, combined using addition, subtraction, and multiplication. The degree of a polynomial is the highest exponent of the variable in the expression. Monomials, binomials, and trinomials are polynomials with one, two, and three terms, respectively. Abstract algebra has various real-life applications in fields such as computer science, cryptography, physics, and engineering, where it can be used to solve complex problems and model real-world situations.
oplik

Homework Statement

Let f(x)=x5-x2-1 [tex]\in[/tex] C and x1,...,x5 are the roots of f over C. Find the value of the symmetric function:

(2x1-x14).(2x2-x24)...(2x5-x54)

Homework Equations

I think, that I have to use the Viete's formulas and Newton's Binomial Theorem.

The Attempt at a Solution

Unfortunately I can't solve the equation to the end. I will appreciate any help. Thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
hmm...all I can think of right now is that, since the constant of f(x) is -1, we know that the product of the roots is 1.

So 2^5*x1x2x3x4x5 = 2^5 = 32, and (-x14)(-x24)(-x34)(-x44)(-x54) = -1.

I know this doesn't solve your problem, but I hope it helps. I'll think about it some more in a bit.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that there is a craftier way than I am about to introduce, but here goes.

For any polynomial, [itex]f(x)[/itex], the product of the roots is the constant term of the polynomial. Also, the roots of [itex]f(x+a)[/itex] are related to the roots of [itex]f(x)[/itex] in the obvious way.

Here, we have [itex]f(x) = x^5-x^2-1.[/itex]

That's enough, but the factorization of [itex]x^4-2x[/itex] is crappy, so let's make it a little better.

Note that if [itex]x_i^5-x_i^2-1=0,[/itex] then
[tex]
2x_i-x_i^4=\frac{x_i^2-1}{x_i}=\frac{(x_i-1)(x_i+1)}{x_i}
[/tex]

Then, to finish it off, your product is equivalent to
[tex]
\left(\prod_i (x_i-1)\right)\left(\prod_i (x_i+1)\right)/\left(\prod_i x_i\right) = (-3)(-1)/(-1)=-3
[/tex]
because the constant term of [itex]f(x)[/itex] is -1, [itex]f(x+1)[/itex] is -1, and [itex]f(x-1)[/itex] is -3.

tmccullough said:
I'm pretty sure that there is a craftier way than I am about to introduce, but here goes.

You may be right, but I still think your method was pretty neat. Nice job.

Oooo. That is a really clever factorization. I was struggling with the 'crappy' factorization. Very nice. Except that the product of the roots is +1, like Raskolnikov said, isn't it? Not -1? Leaving a few details for oplik to clean up is a good idea.

Dick said:
Oooo. That is a really clever factorization. I was struggling with the 'crappy' factorization. Very nice. Except that the product of the roots is +1, like Raskolnikov said, isn't it? Not -1? Leaving a few details for oplik to clean up is a good idea.

I double checked, I stand by my answer. The product of the roots is +1.

But, in hindsight, this result from my original post needs explanation. It follows from one of Viète's Laws. Namely, [tex] \prod_i x_i = (-1)^n \frac{a_0}{a_n} = (-1)^5 \frac{-1}{1} = 1. [/tex]

Thank you, all of you. I think, I got it ;)

Forgot the [itex](-1)^5[/itex]...Sorry.

tmccullough said:
Forgot the [itex](-1)^5[/itex]...Sorry.

Don't apologize. You supplied the necessary hint. Correcting the details should be up to the OP. That's why I usually stop with the hint. Otherwise I make these detail mistakes.

1. What is abstract algebra?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with abstract mathematical structures such as groups, rings, and fields. It involves the study of algebraic systems and their properties, rather than specific numbers or equations.

2. What is a polynomial?

A polynomial is an algebraic expression consisting of variables and coefficients, combined using addition, subtraction, and multiplication. It can have multiple terms and can be written in standard form as ax^n + bx^(n-1) + ... + cx + d, where n is a non-negative integer, a, b, c, and d are constants, and x is a variable.

3. What is the degree of a polynomial?

The degree of a polynomial is the highest exponent of the variable in the expression. For example, the polynomial 3x^2 + 2x + 1 has a degree of 2, while the polynomial 5x^3 + 4x^2 + 3x + 2 has a degree of 3.

4. What is the difference between a monomial, binomial, and trinomial?

A monomial is a polynomial with one term, such as 3x^2. A binomial has two terms, such as 3x^2 + 4x. A trinomial has three terms, such as 3x^2 + 4x + 5.

5. How is abstract algebra used in real life?

Abstract algebra has many applications in fields such as computer science, cryptography, physics, and engineering. It can be used to solve complex problems and model real-world situations, such as in coding and data encryption, designing efficient algorithms, and analyzing physical phenomena.