W. Pauli: The connection between spin and statistics

In summary, Pauli is discussing the spinors of particles and how they are characterized by two integral positive numbers. The spinors of a non-relativistic particle are always characterized by a number j, which is an integer or half-integer. When we give up the assumption of non-relativisticness, the number of parameters describing the spinors increases to two. This is related to the j, which is related to the amount of components in the spinor.
jostpuur
http://prola.aps.org/abstract/PR/v58/i8/p716_1

I'm trying to read this, and it's not going very well! :frown:

On the second page:

A tensor or spinor which transforms irreducibly under this group can be characterized by two integral positive numbers [itex](p,q)[/itex]. (The corresponding "angular momentum quantum number" [itex](j,k)[/itex] are then given by [itex]p=2j+1[/itex], [itex]q=2k+1[/itex], with integral or half-integral [itex]j[/itex] and [itex]k[/itex].)

What two numbers is Pauli talking about? Isn't a spinor of a particle usually characterized by a one number?

Physics news on Phys.org
Relativistic spinors are characterized by 2 semiinteger positive numbers, corresponding to the nonunitary, finite dimensional representations of the SL(2, C) group.

Is this right:

If a spinor of a non-relativistic particle is characterized by a number [itex]j[/itex] (which is integer or half-integer), then the wave function has [itex]2j+1[/itex] components, that means it is of form

[tex]
\psi(x) = \left(\begin{array}{c}
\psi_{j}(x) \\ \psi_{j-1}(x) \\ \vdots \\ \psi_{-j}(x) \\
\end{array}\right)
[/tex]

If that was right, how is the situation changed when we give up the assumption of non-relativisticness?

We basically go, in group theory language, from the double cover of SO(3) = SU(2) (Galilei case) to the double cover of [itex] SO_{o} (1,3) [/itex] = SL(2,C).

In term of Lie algebras (= stands for isomorphisms),

so(3)=su(2), finite dimensional irreds described by one parameter.

so(1,3) = sl(2,c) = su(2) [itex] \oplus [/itex] su(2), thus in the special relativistic case the numbers of parameters describing the irreds is double (2).

If I want to have a transformation group that transforms some objects under rotations, the group will need to be parametrized with three variables. If I then want to extend the transformation to be applied with (relativistic) boosts too, the amount of parameters must be increased to six. Is this, what the two indices are all about?

That doesn't make fully sense. The amount of parameters in rotations and boosts are always going to be three in both. How is this related to the [itex]j[/itex], which is related to the amount of components in spinor?

That almost sounds as if a particle could transform like spin-1/2 particle in rotations, and like spin-1 particle in boosts. Wouldn't make any sense!

See also this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Representations_of_the_Lorentz_Group" page.

Last edited by a moderator:
jostpuur said:
If I want to have a transformation group that transforms some objects under rotations, the group will need to be parametrized with three variables. If I then want to extend the transformation to be applied with (relativistic) boosts too, the amount of parameters must be increased to six. Is this, what the two indices are all about?

That doesn't make fully sense. The amount of parameters in rotations and boosts are always going to be three in both. How is this related to the [itex]j[/itex], which is related to the amount of components in spinor?

That almost sounds as if a particle could transform like spin-1/2 particle in rotations, and like spin-1 particle in boosts. Wouldn't make any sense!

I think you are confusing the parameters needed for the group manifold, and the parameters labeling the irreducible representations.

As bigubau said, the irreducible representations of the Lorentz group can be labeled by a pair of "[tex]SU(2)[/tex] labels": [tex](i,j)[/tex]. For a given [tex](i,j)[/tex], the dimension of the representation is (2j+1)(2i+1). A right and left handed Weyl spinor are labeled as [tex](0, 1/2)[/tex] and [tex](1/2, 0)[/tex], respectively. While a Dirac spinor, which is reducible, is labeled as [tex](1/2,0)\oplus (0,1/2)[/tex] and has 4 components.

element4 said:
See also this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Representations_of_the_Lorentz_Group" page.

This link turned out to be helpful. And this:

[tex]
\mathfrak{so}(1,3)\otimes\mathbb{C} = \mathfrak{sl}(2,\mathbb{C})\oplus\mathfrak{sl}(2,\mathbb{C})
[/tex]

I'll return to this thread later.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the significance of the connection between spin and statistics?

The connection between spin and statistics, also known as the Pauli exclusion principle, is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that explains the behavior of particles with half-integer spin. It states that no two identical fermions can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously, leading to the observed behavior of electrons in atoms and the stability of matter.

2. Who is W. Pauli and why is he associated with this connection?

Wolfgang Pauli was a Swiss physicist who first proposed the connection between spin and statistics in 1925. He was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1945 for his contributions to the development of quantum mechanics. The connection is named after him as he was the first to provide a theoretical explanation for the behavior of fermions in quantum systems.

3. How does the connection between spin and statistics affect the properties of particles?

The connection between spin and statistics determines whether a particle is a fermion or a boson. Fermions have half-integer spin and are subject to the Pauli exclusion principle, while bosons have integer spin and can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously. This leads to different properties, such as the behavior of particles in a gas, the stability of matter, and the formation of atoms and molecules.

4. Can the connection between spin and statistics be observed in everyday life?

While the connection between spin and statistics is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics, its effects can be observed in everyday life. For example, the stability of matter and the properties of atoms and molecules are a direct result of the Pauli exclusion principle. Additionally, certain phenomena in condensed matter physics, such as superconductivity and superfluidity, can be explained by the behavior of particles with different spin and statistics.

5. Are there any exceptions to the connection between spin and statistics?

While the connection between spin and statistics holds true for most particles, there are a few exceptions. One example is anyons, which have fractional spin and exhibit properties of both fermions and bosons. Another exception is found in systems with strong magnetic fields, where the spin of particles can be altered and lead to deviations from the usual behavior predicted by the Pauli exclusion principle.