What happens to Newton's 2nd law if there is a changing mass?

In summary, force is equal to the time derivative of momentum, or d(mv)/dt. If the velocity is constant and only the mass is changing, there will still be a force in some direction. If both mass and velocity are changing, this could result in a more complicated problem with a second order force. However, this can be simplified by ignoring certain parts of the mass, such as in the case of a rocket. This does not mean that mass is annihilated, but rather that it can sometimes be disregarded in certain situations.
mitcho
I understand that force is equal to the time derivative of momentum, or d(mv)/dt. Then what happens if the velocity is constant and only the mass is changing. Does this mean there will be a force. If so, in what direction since I am assuming it is still a vector. Also, what if the mass and velocity are changing, does this make some kind of "2nd order" force?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
So what you have now is [tex] \frac{d}{dt}(m(t)v(t))[/tex]. This is simply a product rule, nothing beyond that. You'll simply have a more complicated problem.

For example, if you had a simple harmonic oscillator, your 2nd law would become:

[tex]\frac{d}{{dt}}(m(t)\dot x(t)) = - kx(t)[/tex]

which upon doing the differentiation simply gives

[tex]\dot m(t)\dot x(t) + m(t)\ddot x(t) = - kx(t)
[/tex]

Of course, you'll need information on the functional relationship of m with respect to t to solve this. I haven't given this much thought but that does not look like an easy problem

I don't understand how you can have a change in mass. Newton didn't anticipate mass annihilation, so I'm not sure what becomes of the law.

Curl said:
I don't understand how you can have a change in mass. Newton didn't anticipate mass annihilation, so I'm not sure what becomes of the law.
You can have a system in which you just ignore a part of the mass.For example you ignore the fuel that was ejected in a rocket if you are interested only in the motion the rocket. F=dp/dt so both mass and velocity can vary.This does not mean that mass is annihilated only that you can sometimes ignore some of it.

If the mass is changing, then the force must also be changing in order to maintain a constant acceleration. This is because Newton's second law states that force is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration (F=ma). So if the mass is changing, the acceleration must also change to maintain a constant force.

In the case of a constant velocity and changing mass, there will not be a force in the direction of motion, since there is no change in velocity. However, there may be a force in a different direction if there are other external forces acting on the object.

If both the mass and velocity are changing, then there will be a "second order" force, as you mentioned. This is because the acceleration is changing, which means the force must also change to maintain a constant acceleration. This second order force would be in addition to any other external forces acting on the object.

Overall, the key point to remember is that Newton's second law applies to the net force acting on an object, which means that any changes in mass or velocity will result in a corresponding change in force to maintain a constant acceleration.

1. What is Newton's 2nd law?

Newton's 2nd law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be represented by the equation F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

2. How does Newton's 2nd law apply to changing mass?

According to Newton's 2nd law, when the mass of an object changes, its acceleration will also change proportionally. This means that if the mass increases, the acceleration will decrease, and vice versa.

3. Does the change in mass affect the net force acting on an object?

Yes, the change in mass will also affect the net force acting on an object. As stated in Newton's 2nd law, the net force is directly proportional to the mass. This means that as the mass changes, the net force will also change proportionally.

4. Can Newton's 2nd law be applied to both increasing and decreasing mass?

Yes, Newton's 2nd law can be applied to both increasing and decreasing mass. As mentioned earlier, when the mass increases, the acceleration decreases. This means that the net force is also affected and will decrease. Similarly, when the mass decreases, the acceleration increases and the net force will also increase.

5. How does Newton's 2nd law affect the motion of an object with changing mass?

With changing mass, the acceleration of an object will also change, causing its motion to be affected. If the mass increases, the object will experience a decrease in acceleration and will move at a slower rate. If the mass decreases, the object will experience an increase in acceleration and will move at a faster rate.