Simulating Schrodinger wave equation using MATLAB.

In summary, the Schrodinger wave equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics used to calculate the probability of finding particles on a microscopic level. MATLAB, a programming language and software tool, can be used to simulate this equation by defining the potential energy function, setting initial conditions, discretizing variables, and using numerical methods. The equation can be simulated for any potential energy function and the accuracy of the results depends on the specific simulation and numerical methods used.
Urmi Roy
Hi!

I've just finished learning the basics of MATLAB from an internet tutorial.
I know a the basics of how to represent and manipulate vectors,matrices,graphs and plots on MATLAB.

Now,my H.O.D wants me to make a programme that will simulate the Schrodinger wave equation on MATLAB...and I haven't a clue of how to even start off!

Could someone help me? Please use the most basic commands possible.

Physics news on Phys.org
Someone give me an idea atleast?

1. What is the Schrodinger wave equation?

The Schrodinger wave equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of particles on a microscopic level. It is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle at a particular location and time.

2. How is MATLAB used to simulate the Schrodinger wave equation?

MATLAB is a programming language and software tool commonly used in scientific and engineering fields. It has built-in functions and tools that allow for the simulation of mathematical models, including the Schrodinger wave equation.

3. What are the steps involved in simulating the Schrodinger wave equation using MATLAB?

The steps involved may vary depending on the specific simulation, but generally they include defining the potential energy function, setting initial conditions, discretizing the space and time variables, and using numerical methods to solve the equation and visualize the results.

4. Can the Schrodinger wave equation be simulated for any type of potential energy function?

Yes, the Schrodinger wave equation can be simulated for any type of potential energy function as long as it is defined mathematically and the necessary initial conditions are set.

5. How accurate are the results of a simulation of the Schrodinger wave equation using MATLAB?

The accuracy of the results depends on the specific simulation and the numerical methods used. In general, MATLAB is a reliable tool for simulating mathematical models, but the accuracy can be improved by using more advanced numerical methods and increasing the resolution of the simulation.