ICQ, problem about receiving files

• Thread starter KLscilevothma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    files
In summary: After reinstalling icq in my computer, I can't receive any files from friends. What should I do now ?If you're using a firewall, you'll need to disable protection for the port that ICQ transfers files on. I believe the ports are 1080-1802, but I'm not sure so there is probably an option to choose which port to use. Choose one above 1023 and enable outgoing and incoming access on your firewall for that port. If you're not using a firewall, you'll need to enable port forwarding for the file transfer port to your machine. most people use NAT for this (network address translation). If you really wanted you could also put yourself in the DMZ, but it
KLscilevothma
After reinstalled icq in my computer, I can't receive any files from friends. What should I do now ?

I think some settings in Preferences need to be changed in order to solve the problem. Please help.

Computer science news on Phys.org
My first guess would be are you behind a firewall? do you run zone alarm or sygate or anything else of the sort? You're going to have to disable protection for the port that ICQ transfers files on. I believe the ports are 1080-1802, but I'm not sure so there is probably an option to choose which port to use. Choose one above 1023 and enable outgoing and incoming access on your firewall for that port.
My next guess is that you're behind a router or something similar like an external DSL modem. You might have to enable port forwarding for the file transfer port to your machine. most people use NAT for this (network address translation). If you really wanted you could also put yourself in the DMZ, but it dramatically lessens security, so i don't recommend it. The proceddure to set this up is different on every DSL modem/router so you'll have to look at the manual.

if you specify which situation your in (or if it's neither) i could probably give you more help in configuring your router or firewall.
-HBar

Originally posted by HBar
My first guess would be are you behind a firewall? do you run zone alarm or sygate or anything else of the sort? You're going to have to disable protection for the port that ICQ transfers files on. I believe the ports are 1080-1802, but I'm not sure so there is probably an option to choose which port to use. Choose one above 1023 and enable outgoing and incoming access on your firewall for that port.
My next guess is that you're behind a router or something similar like an external DSL modem. You might have to enable port forwarding for the file transfer port to your machine. most people use NAT for this (network address translation). If you really wanted you could also put yourself in the DMZ, but it dramatically lessens security, so i don't recommend it. The proceddure to set this up is different on every DSL modem/router so you'll have to look at the manual.
if you specify which situation your in (or if it's neither) i could probably give you more help in configuring your router or firewall.
-HBar
thanks for your reply

Well I don't think my pc is behind a firewall and I don't run zone alarm or sygate(I fact I don't know what they are). My computer is put in my room. The hard disk was formated about 2 to 3 weeks ago and I reinstalled icq after that. I am now using icq 2003a, which is the same version as the one before I formatted the harddisk. I could receive files without any problem before formatting harddisk.

I am usuing broadband and have a LAN card. I think I don't use firewall/proxy. I think I need to change some settings in icq preferences. I remember last year when I first installed icq, my friend taught me to change something in the setting before I could receive files, but i forget what it was and couldn't find that person in these few days.

In icq, Firewall IP setting, there are 3 options.
1. Always use internal ip
2. icq will determine ip automatically
3. always use external ip (default)
Which one should I choose ?

In proxy setting, I choose Not Using FIrewall.

It sounds like it's your broadband modem that is causing the trouble. What i would do is go to main->connections->user and choose the "Use the following TCP listen ports for incoming events". Enter a range of ports above 1023 like 1050-1055. Then configure NAT on your broadband router to forward all requests for port 1050-1055 to your computer.
-HBar

1. Why am I having trouble receiving files on ICQ?

There could be a few reasons why you are having trouble receiving files on ICQ. Some common reasons include a slow or unstable internet connection, outdated software, or incorrect settings. It is also possible that the sender's file is too large for ICQ to handle. Try troubleshooting these issues to see if they are the cause of your problem.

2. How can I fix the issue of not receiving files on ICQ?

If you are experiencing problems with receiving files on ICQ, there are a few things you can try to fix the issue. First, make sure your internet connection is stable and fast enough to handle file transfers. Then, check for updates to your ICQ software and make sure you have the latest version. If the problem persists, try adjusting your ICQ settings or contacting ICQ customer support for further assistance.

3. Is there a limit to the size of files that can be received on ICQ?

Yes, there is a limit to the size of files that can be received on ICQ. The maximum file size for regular users is 25MB, while premium users have a limit of 200MB. If the file you are trying to receive is larger than this, you may need to use a different method of file sharing.

4. Why can't I receive files from certain contacts on ICQ?

If you are unable to receive files from certain contacts on ICQ, it could be because their settings do not allow file transfers, or they may be experiencing technical difficulties on their end. It is also possible that their file size exceeds the maximum limit for ICQ. Try communicating with the contact to troubleshoot the issue and find a solution.

5. Can I receive files on ICQ using a mobile device?

Yes, you can receive files on ICQ using a mobile device. However, keep in mind that the file size limit for mobile devices is smaller than the limit for desktop users. Additionally, you may need to enable certain settings on your mobile device to allow file transfers on ICQ. Check your ICQ app's settings or contact customer support for more information on receiving files via mobile.