Long shot - how can I find the raw data for observed velocities in Galactic curve?

In summary: VizieR?-source=CMB%2Frotation%2FGalaxies&-docType=Ref&-showVizieR=true&-searchVizieR=true&-subscriptionId=2&-showAllComments=true&-sort=desc&-showCounts=true&-showDetails=true&-showSource=true&-showSearch=true&-limitToResults=20&-startDate=20160910&-endDate=20181028&-sortBy=galaxy&-showResultsAsText=trueIn summary, according to this website, the frequencies of red-shift seen in stars
lenfromkits
Hi. I have google'd for awhile but cannot seem to find this information (velocities of stars in the galactic curve). I need to work with the raw data observed before calculating the doppler shift and subtracting the Earth and sun radial movement out of it. I need the transverse velocities as well.

Does anyone know where this info can be found?

Thanks.

Space news on Phys.org

I don't understand what you are trying to do. What doppler shift are you talking about? What are you planning to "subtract out"? I might be able to answer better if you explained more.

It is simple and straightforward to measure the rotation curves of OTHER GALAXIES. You just focus on a nearby galaxy that is seen flat-edge on. With say the stars on the right side coming at you, and the stars on the left side going away from you. And you can measure the doppler shift of those stars and see how it depends on distance from center.

It's like looking at a transparent turning wheel, edge on. Doppler tells the whole story.

What's hard, I think, is trying to work out the rotation curve for OUR MILKYWAY GALAXY.

You could explain more what you are trying to do, what you want to calculate, and why.
===================

It sounded from your post that you might want data on our own galaxy, and the solar system's motion in our galaxy. That is more complicated. Different data. Or could you perhaps be talking about the doppler shift in the CMB (microwave background) that is caused by the solar system's motion relative to the universe as a whole?

If you are wondering about the sun's motion around the center of the galaxy, that was determined a long time ago from data on the radial velocities of stars that are nearer the center, and the radial velocities of stars that are farther out from center.

We tend to be overtaking stars that are farther out (and still "ahead" of us) and stars that are nearer in (but "astern" of us) tend to be catching up. So both those classes of stars, statistically on average, are getting closer to us.

I think this method was really not very good, but it was all people could do in the early 20th century. After around 1940 or 1950 there was RADIO ASTRONOMY, looking at the 21 centimeter radiation of huge clouds of hydrogen. They could tell the radial velocity (by doppler) very accurately. Clouds closer to center, and behind us, would be catching up---so they would be getting closer to us. Likewise clouds farther out from center, and ahead, would be getting closer because we were catching up with them. I think the whole thing is a massive game of fitting the model to the data----mostly radial velocity data (rates of something getting closer or getting farther away from us).

I don't have any expert knowledge so let my response here be merely a stopgap. Before long I hope someone with more expertise will come along and help you out.

My guess would be that there is a huge amoung of "raw data" on radial velocities and that it would have been a decades-long and very involved process to derive orbital speeds from that data.
==============

Better amplify your question some, are you interested in our home galaxy, or in the rotation curves of other galaxies?

Last edited:

marcus said:
I don't understand what you are trying to do. What doppler shift are you talking about? What are you planning to "subtract out"? I might be able to answer better if you explained more.

HI, thanks for the thorough response. I am looking for the frequencies of the red-shift they observed when looking at stars in our galaxy - or in another galaxy (from the 21cm light). Also, since when calculating the velocities of these stars, they have to take both the radial and the transverse velocities into account to figure out the real speed and direction, I need those too.

Basically, I need to work with the raw data and recalculate the velocities based on the doppler shift formula. I'm obviously going to be interjecting a variation into these calcs, which is the point of my study. There's no point in elaborating on that, I just need the data that they worked with initially.

One tricky part will be that the observed velocities will be in part due to the star, and in part due to the Earth's movement at the time of the observations. They apparently have to remove the Earths movement in order to get the star's movement relative to the galactic centre. I would need to know those values as well.

This is hard information to come by.

Thanks.

Dear researcher,

Thank you for your inquiry. The raw data for observed velocities in the Galactic curve can be found in various astronomical databases, such as the SIMBAD database or the NASA/IPAC Extragalactic Database (NED). These databases contain a wealth of information on celestial objects, including their velocities.

To access the specific data you are looking for, you can use keywords such as "Galactic curve velocities" or "transverse velocities" in your search. You can also narrow down your search by specifying a particular region of the sky or a certain type of object.

Additionally, many research papers and publications also include the raw data used in their studies. You can search for relevant papers on the topic and contact the authors for access to their data.

I hope this information helps in your research. Best of luck in your endeavors.

Sincerely,

1. How is the Galactic curve measured and what is it used for?

The Galactic curve is measured by observing the velocities of stars and gas in the Milky Way galaxy. The curve shows the relationship between the distance from the center of the galaxy and the velocity of objects orbiting around it. This data is used to study the structure and dynamics of the Milky Way galaxy.

2. Where can I find the raw data for observed velocities in the Galactic curve?

The raw data for observed velocities in the Galactic curve can be found in various astronomical databases, such as the NASA/IPAC Extragalactic Database (NED) or the SIMBAD Astronomical Database. These databases provide access to published data from various scientific studies and observations.

3. What types of objects are used to measure the Galactic curve?

Various types of objects are used to measure the Galactic curve, including stars, gas clouds, and even entire galaxies. The velocities of these objects are measured using techniques such as spectroscopy, which can determine the Doppler shift of light emitted by the object.

4. How accurate is the data for the observed velocities in the Galactic curve?

The accuracy of the data for observed velocities in the Galactic curve depends on the quality of the observations and the methods used to measure the velocities. In general, the data is considered to be reliable, but there may be some variations and uncertainties due to factors such as measurement errors and the complex structure of the Milky Way galaxy.

5. Can the raw data for observed velocities be accessed by anyone?

Yes, the raw data for observed velocities in the Galactic curve is publicly available and can be accessed by anyone through astronomical databases or by contacting the researchers who conducted the observations. However, it may require some specialized knowledge and tools to properly analyze and interpret the data.