Measurement in de broglie-bohm theory

In summary, de broglie bohm theory is a non-collapse interpretation of quantum mechanics that selects sets of observables to determine a system's state.
cryptist
Hi,
Could you describe the "before the measurement" mechanism in de broglie bohm theory? Is there a real collapse during the measurement? Can we determine the particle's position in its guiding function without disturbing it? Is there any way to calculate guiding function?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cryptist said:
Could you describe the "before the measurement" mechanism in de broglie bohm theory?
The theory of quantum measurements in dBB theory is described in many books and papers. Instead of repeating it here, I think it is better to point to a reference where it has already been done. An easily accessible example is the Appendix of
http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/quant-ph/020818 [Found.Phys.Lett. 17 (2004) 363]
See also the recent discussion in
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=444233

cryptist said:
Is there a real collapse during the measurement?
No.

cryptist said:
Can we determine the particle's position in its guiding function without disturbing it?
We can calculate it, but we cannot measure it (without disturbing it).

cryptist said:
Is there any way to calculate guiding function?
Of course, by solving the Schrodinger equation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then, for example in double slit experiment, why the interference pattern disappears when we are measuring the particle? Why it would not reappear when we stop measuring it?
Does the measuring particle effects somehow guiding function? After all it is the guiding function that determines its path right?

cryptist said:
Then, for example in double slit experiment, why the interference pattern disappears when we are measuring the particle?
Because measurement causes decoherence of the wave function.

cryptist said:
Why it would not reappear when we stop measuring it?
Because decoherence is irreversible.

cryptist said:
Does the measuring particle effects somehow guiding function?
No.

cryptist said:
After all it is the guiding function that determines its path right?
Right.

But the measurement affects the path of the particle say electron. Since guiding function determines the path, shouldn't it also be effected? For example in the interference pattern we see that electrons in the screen that cannot be there classically. That means electron's path changes with the act of measurement or by decoherence.

cryptist said:
But the measurement affects the path of the particle say electron.
True. But it is important to stress that here "measurement" is a process that refers to the evolution of the WAVE FUNCTION. The change of the wave function then causes a change in the motion of the particle.

cryptist said:
Since guiding function determines the path, shouldn't it also be effected?
No, the wave function is not affected by the particle's path.

cryptist said:
For example in the interference pattern we see that electrons in the screen that cannot be there classically. That means electron's path changes with the act of measurement or by decoherence.
True.

Then, what is the difference between guiding function and wave function?

cryptist said:
Then, what is the difference between guiding function and wave function?
In dBB theory, there is no difference between them. They are the same.

You said measuring particle is not effecting guiding function. But measurement changes the path, and path is determined by guiding function. Aren't these statements conflicting?

cryptist said:
You said measuring particle is not effecting guiding function.
I answered "no" to your question, but your question was slightly imprecise in a linguistic sense.
What I meant is that the MEASURED PARTICLE does not effect the guiding function. But the MEASUREMENT OF the particle does effect the guiding function.

Last edited:
Ok, I realized the confusion. That's my mistake. I wanted to say "whether measurement of particle effects guiding function or not?". Ok, I understand now.

cryptist said:
Ok, I realized the confusion. That's my mistake. I wanted to say "whether measurement of particle effects guiding function or not?". Ok, I understand now.

You should say thanks for all the things Demystifier has helped you with.

Kidphysics said:
You should say thanks for all the things Demystifier has helped you with.
The pleasure was mine. :smile:

I did not close the topic, so I want to ask actually some other things after I finished my readings. So, of course I will thank you at the end. However, thank you Demystifier for your explanations so far. :)

Demystifier said:
Because measurement causes decoherence of the wave function.

How this decoherence happens during measurement?

And, what is configuration space?

cryptist said:
Hi,
Could you describe the "before the measurement" mechanism in de broglie bohm theory? Is there a real collapse during the measurement? Can we determine the particle's position in its guiding function without disturbing it? Is there any way to calculate guiding function?

dBB is a non collapse interpretation of Quantum Mechanics.

...‘No collapse’ interpretations avoid the measurement problem by selecting
other sets of observables as determinate for a system in a given quantum state...

http://www.psiquadrat.de/downloads/bub_clifton_uniqueness.pdf

cryptist said:
How this decoherence happens during measurement?

And, what is configuration space?
These are questions for another topic, because they are much more general than dBB theory. Especially the second question. In fact, we already have a lot of threads concerning the first question, so try the search option to find some of them.

1. What is the de Broglie-Bohm theory?

The de Broglie-Bohm theory, also known as the pilot wave theory, is an interpretation of quantum mechanics that proposes the existence of a hidden variable, or pilot wave, that guides the behavior of particles. It was developed by Louis de Broglie and David Bohm in the 1950s as an attempt to explain the seemingly random and probabilistic behavior of particles in quantum mechanics.

2. How does the de Broglie-Bohm theory differ from other interpretations of quantum mechanics?

The de Broglie-Bohm theory differs from other interpretations, such as the Copenhagen interpretation, by positing the existence of a hidden variable that determines the behavior of particles. This hidden variable is not accounted for in other interpretations, which view quantum mechanics as inherently probabilistic and without a definite underlying reality.

3. What is the role of measurement in the de Broglie-Bohm theory?

In the de Broglie-Bohm theory, measurement is seen as a process that reveals the pre-existing state of a particle, rather than causing it to collapse into a particular state as in other interpretations. The pilot wave guides the particle to a particular measurement outcome, while also allowing for the possibility of multiple potential outcomes based on the initial conditions of the system.

4. How does the de Broglie-Bohm theory solve the measurement problem in quantum mechanics?

The measurement problem in quantum mechanics refers to the issue of how a system can exist in multiple states simultaneously, but when measured, only one state is observed. The de Broglie-Bohm theory solves this problem by proposing that the particle has a definite state at all times, but its position is affected by the pilot wave. This allows for the observed probabilistic behavior of particles while maintaining a definite underlying reality.

5. Are there any experimental tests that support the de Broglie-Bohm theory?

There have been some experimental tests that support the de Broglie-Bohm theory, such as the delayed choice quantum eraser experiment and the double-slit experiment with which the theory was originally developed. However, it is still a subject of debate and further research is needed to fully confirm or refute the theory.