Uh I need a runway, really let me explain

• Thread starter rhody
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary: BMW has the "feel" nailed down. In summary, the bike is a work in progress that includes Ohlins shocks, a PUIG windscreen, Satos rear sets and racing hooks, Yoshimura fender eliminator, Racing Products case covers, stator/clutch, swingarm spools, Heli bars, Pazzo Racing levers, custom paint, front/rear wheels, black on red, and custom paint, rear swingarm.
turbo-1 said:
Well, essentially.

Heh... I'm harkening back to "Sunshine Units".

turbo-1 said:
When I was into sport bikes, I did a lot of crazy stuff. When I started hopping up Harley cruisers (Fat 16" wheel on the back, really skinny little tire on a 21" laced wheel in the front), it was beyond crazy in some respects. There is a tremendous imbalance in tire-patch areas in these designs, and given that there is so much weight-transfer to the front during braking, and so little contact-area in the front, ... well, you can imagine the stuff that a home-builder might have to deal with.

Wow... still that sounds like a lot of fun, but damn, that must have been downright treacherous!

Physics news on Phys.org
nismaratwork said:
Wow... still that sounds like a lot of fun, but damn, that must have been downright treacherous!
If you want to be able to power through tight turns on curvy mountain roads, you'd better better tune your suspension. The parts guy at the local local Harley dealership asked me one time "Why do you need this much fork-oil?" and I told him I was buying extra for an indie bike shop. I actually needed extra because I was tuning my front suspension in hard handling. The fork oil is the major damping element in the front shocks, and it is critical in H-D cruisers due to the imbalance in the size of the tire-patches.

Just watching AMA Pro Racing on the Speed Channel at the Daytona 200, and they stopped the racing because a racer lost the front end on Dunlop tires (high ambient temps) coming off the banking. Out of concern for rider safety, they stopped the race and Dunlop is trying frantically to find replacement front tires for the bikes, the track has been resurfaced last winter, and not a lot of testing has been done on the track with high temps, 118.4 degrees on the track and the tires cannot supply needed grip at those temps so they have stopped the race. Dunlop is embarrassed, and admits they did not test the tires with this high of track temps. The tires even on a cool day after a few laps at 180 - 200+ mph are hot enough not to be able to touch, 120+ F. Apparently, a combination of new road surface 9greasy perhaps) and track temps made the racing unsafe. Interesting, eh ? This is being televised too, imagine all the gate revenue being wasted because of this. There will be major repercussions because of this, and I imagine a fair amount of finger pointing. I never have seen this ever happen before. I was excited to see some racing, but it is not to be. At least not today.

Rhody... :redface:

P.S. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see that the solution to this problem is a small amount of roughing up of the new smooth track surface. Will follow up with what they came up with for a solution. Funny times we are faced with.

Wow to both previous posts...

Now here is a story that is touching and requires true love and patience...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_5wv63VT5s&feature=related"

I hope in an emergency the passenger can either take the controls or talk her through any issue, she seems to be doing just fine however. I would not be so brave as to ride on the back as co-pilot, however. She has a serious concentrated look on her face, but seems steady and calm. Pretty good for her first time, on an uninhabited track.

P.S. And http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx2ZCK6N8eY&feature=related" is the boyfriend, husband I am sure the girl above is glad to not have had. The video speaks for itself. Oh, the road rash alone has me twitching.

Last edited by a moderator:
rhody said:
Now here is a story that is touching and requires true love and patience...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_5wv63VT5s&feature=related"

I hope in an emergency the passenger can either take the controls or talk her through any issue, she seems to be doing just fine however. I would not be so brave as to ride on the back as co-pilot, however. She has a serious concentrated look on her face, but seems steady and calm. Pretty good for her first time, on an uninhabited track.

P.S. And http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx2ZCK6N8eY&feature=related" is the boyfriend, husband I am sure the girl above is glad to not have had. The video speaks for itself. Oh, the road rash alone has me twitching.

That was intense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_kgeSTsQnk&feature=related".

When I was young, I raced motocross. When I was in college, I had a street racer. Then I lost a friend who was hit in a parking lot, of all places, so I sold my bike. Then I lost my both my aunt and uncle who were riding their Harley and encountered a car at just 25 mph relative velocity. Shortly thereafter I learned motorcyclists were many times more likely to die or suffer life-long debilitating injuries than drivers or passengers of normal, 4-wheeled vehicles.

I don't ride any more. Ever.

mugaliens said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_kgeSTsQnk&feature=related".

When I was young, I raced motocross. When I was in college, I had a street racer. Then I lost a friend who was hit in a parking lot, of all places, so I sold my bike. Then I lost my both my aunt and uncle who were riding their Harley and encountered a car at just 25 mph relative velocity. Shortly thereafter I learned motorcyclists were many times more likely to die or suffer life-long debilitating injuries than drivers or passengers of normal, 4-wheeled vehicles.

I don't ride any more. Ever.

This is my theory on matters... that, and despite my age, my mother would knock me over the head and lock me up.

Since I was a little kid:
"No boxing, no football, no motorcycles!"

Clearly she knew I'd need every braincell I could muster just to get by. :tongue2:

Still, the more I watch this, the more I'm intrigued by what Rhody and others are posting.

nismaratwork said:
This is my theory on matters... that, and despite my age, my mother would knock me over the head and lock me up.

Still, the more I watch this, the more I'm intrigued by what Rhody and others are posting.
nismara,

Call me crazy, libertarian, however, my belief is that no one, mother, spouse, wife, brother, etc... should dictate what one can and cannot do in life. For me, if at the end of your life you look back and look with envy and frustration at others who enjoy a risky sport, whitewater kayaking, rock climbing, etc... then you have not truly lived. That's my opinion, others may agree or disagree, but that's just me.

Rhody... :devil: :biggrin:

rhody said:
nismara,

Call me crazy, libertarian, however, my belief is that no one, mother, spouse, wife, brother, etc... should dictate what one can and cannot do in life. For me, if at the end of your life you look back and look with envy and frustration at others who enjoy a risky sport, whitewater kayaking, rock climbing, etc... then you have not truly lived. That's my opinion, others may agree or disagree, but that's just me.

Oh, don't get me wrong, at this point in life I'm exaggerating... still... it's a tough lesson to divest oneself of, and in the face of possible death or maiming.

On the other hand, life is finite regardless, and we're the only animals I know of (I HOPE) who can strap on a crotch-rocket and go fast enough to bleed pure adrenaline and dopamine. :biggrin: Believe me, I'm probably going to give it a try at some point, I've seen too much here that looks fun.

I'm NOT going to be going 160 using the stubs of my pinkies to turn however!

Stopped by the bike shop after work today, my friend the salesman who is also painting my tank and adding graphics was talking to a prospective customer, young guy late twenties about a limited edition Ducati 1098 SP in black, about 22K, and in the give and take I casually mentioned if he would like to see my bike (nearly done, missing tank and seat). He followed me to the back and after he saw and heard what I had done to it to make it that way he was pretty blown away by it.

I told him for the price he was about to pay he could he a ride that was just as fast if not faster, smoother, more comfortable and with time and effort he could add some of the nice features I added. I left the shop with discussion taking place on locating an S1000RR for him. Before I left, he admitted he had never seen one up close, just in magazines, and the pictures didn't do it justice. The thing looks like a shark from the front because their are no big mirrors or front turn signals to break the lines. I wished him luck on his choice when I left, explaining what was left to add to the bike, custom graphics, powder coated fairing and windshield screws. When it is all said and done I will have no regrets, and have something that truly came from my mind's eye and imagination.

Rhody... :tongue2: :devil:

rhody said:
Stopped by the bike shop after work today, my friend the salesman who is also painting my tank and adding graphics was talking to a prospective customer, young guy late twenties about a limited edition Ducati 1098 SP in black, about 22K, and in the give and take I casually mentioned if he would like to see my bike (nearly done, missing tank and seat). He followed me to the back and after he saw and heard what I had done to it to make it that way he was pretty blown away by it.

I told him for the price he was about to pay he could he a ride that was just as fast if not faster, smoother, more comfortable and with time and effort he could add some of the nice features I added. I left the shop with discussion taking place on locating an S1000RR for him. Before I left, he admitted he had never seen one up close, just in magazines, and the pictures didn't do it justice. The thing looks like a shark from the front because their are no big mirrors or front turn signals to break the lines. I wished him luck on his choice when I left, explaining what was left to add to the bike, custom graphics, powder coated fairing and windshield screws. When it is all said and done I will have no regrets, and have something that truly came from my mind's eye and imagination.

Ahhh Rhody, corrupting the youth... :wink:

I really look forward to the videos you'll make with this baby, it sounds amazing to turn someone from a Ducati in one look.

Had something very upsetting in my home town yesterday, a man stabbed a woman in a hotel parking lot, broad daylight, witnesses saw it, called 911, but he drove off before polic could get there, ended up near the beach (on one of my favored back roads, dumped the woman's body in a ditch off a corner I have ridden at least 100 times and then was captured by police. Very scary.

I have seen markers along highways established in memorial to lost loved ones, but usually they are from accidents. To think now that I will drive this section of road knowing that someone was either dying or dead in this spot (which (the road) has been a source of excitement peace) and troubles me. The police were smart to assume the attacker would drive to a close remote area, and thus were able to catch him. Weird situation too, co-workers who had a history of disputes, 11 year age difference too, mid twenties to mid thirties. This is upsetting because we have not had a murder in my town in over 20 years.

Rhody... :frown: :cry:

rhody said:

As a follow up to the post above, the guy who looked at my bike bought the Ducati 1098 SP instead after much haggling with my friend, the salesman. I told the buyer before he bought it that if comfort was an issue to consider the BMW instead, I have never ridden this particular Ducati, but over the years have read dozens of reviews of them. In short, comfortable they ain't. Apparently the new Ducati owner figured that out too, because my salesman friend told me he came into the shop a few days after, and he wanted to sell it back to the dealership. I thought that quite amusing, because he seemed to have a wee bit of attitude when I was going over what I did to my BMW. He had his heart on the Ducati, and in the end got what he deserved. Some people just never learn.

On a bright note, I should be picking it up on Tues, and weather permitting putting in some gentle break in miles in "rain mode" for a few days next week. Also have to break in new webbed gloves (I am not planning on losing my pinkie, that's for sure) and a new jacket. Lastly, my salesman painter friend is custom painting a helmet to match the bike. Will post pictures of everything and then hopefully a HD video in the near future. I want to do a nice job with it, so suffering the editing curve will take some time. In the end I want it to be cool, something I can take a humble bit of pride in. I will try not to disappoint.

Rhody...:wink:

Good news, rhody! I'm very excited for you.

turbo-1 said:
Good news, rhody! I'm very excited for you.

Turbo,

Funny, it has been such a long journey, the excitement part has left pretty much, but the challenge of what lies ahead excites me more. I have improved my visual peripheral vision about 13% and my visual reaction time as well. I am a little over 1/2 the total brain training period, so I anticipate a few more percentage point improvement in both areas. I have to learn to slow everything I do on the bike down by at least 50% because of the 150lb weight difference and new tire profile. It should be interesting. I will try to go out with the few guys from the shop to see where I can get better at my approach to turn in, body position, etc... These new tires basically fall into a corner so that will take some getting used to, that and the power, even in rain mode with sticky tires is substantial. I don't want to bin it. For people who don't understand bike lingo, that means crash. Will keep you posted.

Rhody...

See thumbnail below for picture, from the left, crazy Russell the parts guy, next to me on right Brian, master mechanic, and my friend, the salesman John, today, just before dark. The reason this bike shop is so successful is that it is run like a family, with great customer loyalty and fair prices. They also just happen to be nice guys which doesn't hurt either. I tried to get new gloves on and were very stiff and not supple, not good, so I used street gloves instead. Nothing like driving a new bike and not having feel or free movement, a potentially very bad thing. I had another buddy drive my truck home, no issues or drama and in "rain" mode below the rev limited setting around 7K for now, the machine behaves as one would expect, stiff, but supple on the brakes and gas, medium loud, with a deep bark, much different than the FJR. The higher heli bars help with forearm and wrist fatigue, and with no fairing mirrors to create dirty air, the air flow around the helmet is smooth, and the double windscreen helps to create a clean air pocket. Overall the fit/finish and great paint work and subtle graphics are outstanding. Note: the red fairing screws visible in the picture. Will take some more pictures soon.

P.S. That bloody side stand has to go, hard to put down and see extended as you get off. Worse yet, it stands the bike up too high, meaning high wind could knock it over. On my short list to fix and customize in the very near future.

Attachments

• BikeBuddies3.JPG
    BikeBuddies3.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 347
Now, Let's see some snapshots!

turbo-1 said:
Now, Let's see some snapshots!
Turbo,

Noted...that's the easy part. Will post those soon. Then, I will take a shot at making a video, no promises and need to get editing software, so just play along with me till I get where I want to be, learning is always fun, challenging and frustrating.

Rhody... :grumpy:

So I have read a few pages throughout the thread off and on and it seems there are a few motorcycle people here.

I am thinking of getting another bike. I used to have an R6 and lived in the canyons. Excessive speeds (hypothetically of course) in wide canyons were fun, but I think I am over that and can't really afford the tickets that come with that speed.

With that said I am thinking of buying a supermoto bike. I think that might be fun in tighter canyons where the speeds aren't high (we have a few of those around there) along with a few longer trips here and there. I used to ride dirt bikes too so I know those are fun to ride. Plus I think a supermoto bike would be more fun to flick around than an R6.

Any of you have experience with supermoto bikes and can offer advice?

Ok, it has been almost a week since I got the bike. A short list of impressions...

• Did Rhody scare himself silly ? No...
  • Did Rhody bin it ? No...
  • Did Rhody get a ticket, No...
  • Is the sucker loud ? Sort of with headphones and music it is OK, will need earplugs when riding the track for sure
  • Did Rhody freeze his ... off riding the last 7 days ? Yes, except for today, fingers got numb a couple of times, not good
  • Is Rhody done with modifying it ? No, have flush rear turn signals on order and will picket up frame protectors this week
  • Did Rhody have professional photos taken, at dawn, or sunset ? Not yet...
  • Did Rhody take any video with Contour HD camera ? Not yet need to get a couple of mounts, for helmet, steering head, and behind the rear seat, having battery issues staying charged as well, checking into that...
  • Did Rhody get neck cramps ? Sort of at just shy of triple digit speeds (for less than 5 - 10 seconds), helmet buffeting
  • Anything about the bike that needs to be addressed ? Yes, ride too harsh for the street, dropped compression in front/rear shock, throttle feels like someone put dirt in it, very rough compared to the FJR, will have it checked this week
  • How does it feel compared to the other bike ? The FJR feels like it is on pogo sticks, throttle butter smooth compared to the BMW, braking takes 2/3rd more effort for about 1/3 less stopping distance, the power is very predicable, but the game is over at 9.5K rpm, nice torque though. Heavy and cumbersome when cornering as expected, with new bike it is that more obvious
  • The BMW is a surgical scalpel, even in rain mode and below 9K rpms, the acceleration is better than the FJR, it should be because it weighs almost 150 lbs less, you can put it where you want it, say 3 inches from the lines on the road at speed and hold it there effortlessly, a little unnerving at first. It is not twitchy either on good pavement. I lowered the shift lever and brake lever footpegs, lenghtened the shift peg for comfort. Until I get the 600 miles service the engine limiter is set to keep from exceeding 9K rpms, peak torque arrives at 10.5K and peak hp about 12K, this is the range where the front wheel lifts about 6 inches above ground in the first three gears, will have to wait for the track to experience that.
  • I am growing to like the speed shifter no need to clutch up-shifting or down-shifting, just close the throttle and bang bang bang, very sweet, the shifter is a bit notchy, should get better with more miles
  • I cannot bury my head on the tank without limiting vision to about 1/4 mile in front of the it, that would be unnerving at best at Loudon this June, will have to compromise and stay off it 6 inches or so, grrrr... With knees tight to the tank you feel like you are wearing it versus riding it, knees come in handy when hard on the brakes to keep you from jamming your you know what's into the tank.
  • Panic stopping it from 80+ is effortless, bang the shifter down light rear, light front, then full rear full front, the tire doesn't howl, but the front makes small figure eights from the contact patch being deformed, from left to right and back again. I estimate you can go from 80 mph to about 30mph in about 3 seconds. Amazing...
  • Have not wheelied it yet, like I said before, the torque needed for that lives around 10K to 11K and makes over 600 lbs of lifting force, enough to loft the front wheel, even with 45/55 weight distribution, plus the weight of the rider. Looking forward to that on the track, along with the knowledge that traction control will only allow a 6 inch wheelie for about 3 to 5 seconds, enough to get your attention.

Here are a few http://s1106.photobucket.com/albums...e quick shots not final/?albumview=slideshow" (photobucket slideshow) I took this afternoon. I kind of like photo bucket, the slide show feature is nice, move the mouse around for some neat special effects, hey what is Luna (siamese) doing in there ? After riding both bikes, first the BMW, the the FJR, hoped off one and onto the other.

That is my story so far, and am sticking to it. Funny too, either people totally ignore it, or folks who know bike hardware, after cursory inspection, then closer inspection are blown away by it (one reason I have a remote alarm with FM transmitter). Looking forward to some warmer weather and riding with the shop guys some former racers. It should be interesting. All for now.

Rhody... :devil:

P.S. Turbo, the FJR is so damn comfortable I know you will be able to medicate, then take the Mrs out for a little spin (an hour or so) with me this summer. I for one am looking forward to it. If I can routinely drive with numb fingers you can with a semi numb leg, just put some steel towed boots on your bad for for braking or shifting as necessary. Improvise, adapt and overcome... :approve:

Love that force equation :approve:! It kind of caught me by surprise at the end, haha...

lisab said:
Love that force equation :approve:! It kind of caught me by surprise at the end, haha...

Yeah Lisa,

Only geeks like us get it... How about Garrett Lisi's E8 symbol on the tank, no one and I mean NO ONE gets that or possibly will in the future. When I give the three minute short explanation including force (fermions) and matter (bosons) particle explanation they look at me like I have two heads, no matter, I like it, that's what matters to me. Did you like the pic of Luna looking out the door as I cleaned the bikes ?

Rhody... :biggrin:

rhody said:
Yeah Lisa,

Only geeks like us get it... How about Garrett Lisi's E8 symbol on the tank, no one and I mean NO ONE gets that or possibly will in the future. When I give the three minute short explanation including force (fermions) and matter (bosons) particle explanation they look at me like I have two heads, no matter, I like it, that's what matters to me. Did you like the pic of Luna looking out the door as I cleaned the bikes ?

Oh yes, she's a beauty :!)!

I mentioned has fast the braking is in my post. Just to show you I wasn't making it up, watch the telemetry from the Ulster GP in 2005, and you will see what I mean about how fast these bikes can decelerate, just http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AAWsOwUc8g"... Holy crap, I just realized the last segment of that was in the rain... Are you kidding me !

Rhody... :uhh:

rhody said:
I mentioned has fast the braking is in my post. Just to show you I wasn't making it up, watch the telemetry from the Ulster GP in 2005, and you will see what I mean about how fast these bikes can decelerate, just http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AAWsOwUc8g"... Holy crap, I just realized the last segment of that was in the rain... Are you kidding me !

Rhody... :uhh:

That's insane, and I used to race motocross as a kid! More for fun than anything else, though. We never got above 100 mph in the dirt.

Final checklist of mods... well, never say final, let's just leave it at that...

• Front Wheel Powder Coated (red axle, black rim)
  • Yoshimura Front Fork Spools
  • HB Smoke Double Windscreen
  • Ohlins Steering Damper
  • Ohlins Front Forks
  • Brock's Mirror Plates
  • CRG Bar End Mirrors
  • Greg's Flush Turn Signals
  • Pazzo Black Racing Levers, with red adjusters
  • Carbon Fiber Front Fender (MotoWorks, from Osaka, Japan of all places)
  • Carbon Fiber BMW Rear Fender (a long story, let's not go there)
  • Carbon Fiber Gas Cover
  • Powder Coated Fairing Screws, Phillips head, replacing all OEM tork screws (blood red, black as appropriate, used on the fairing, etc...)
  • Heli bars
  • Cox Racing Radiator Guards (blood red)
  • iScorpio i-900 RFID Alarm with pager
  • Custom Paint, Gas Tank (Metal Flake Grey, matches fairing)
  • Yoshimura Frame Sliders
  • Sato RearSets (black)
  • Sato Racing Hooks (black)
  • Taylor Exhaust, with Carbon Fiber Cover
  • GB Racing Case Covers, Stator/Clutch, Swing Arm spools
  • Ohlins Rear Shock with Adjustment knob
  • Swing Arm Powder Coat (black)
  • Custom Seat Cover: Black with Red Piping
  • Rear Wheel Powder Coated (red axle, black rim)
  • Yoshimura Fender Eliminator
  • BMW Rear Seat Bag (need it, minimal storage)
  • Michelin Pilot Pure Tires
  • Watsen's flush rear turn signals (ordered not on currently)
  • Frame protector (picked up today after work, from small shop here in RI)
  • Custom Decal Art Work:
  • Hot Pepper: Rear Fender, Front Ram Air Intake, Thrust Formula Swing Arm both sides (blood red), E8 graphic Gas Tank (black green/red)

Errr... ahem... Turbo, comments ? You are not getting off that easy... not by me anyway...
rhody said:
P.S. Turbo, the FJR is so damn comfortable I know you will be able to medicate, then take the Mrs out for a little spin (an hour or so) with me this summer. I for one am looking forward to it. If I can routinely drive with numb fingers you can with a semi numb leg, just put some steel towed boots on your bad for for braking or shifting as necessary. Improvise, adapt and overcome... :approve:

erok81 said:
So I have read a few pages throughout the thread off and on and it seems there are a few motorcycle people here.

I am thinking of getting another bike. I used to have an R6 and lived in the canyons. Excessive speeds (hypothetically of course) in wide canyons were fun, but I think I am over that and can't really afford the tickets that come with that speed.

With that said I am thinking of buying a supermoto bike. I think that might be fun in tighter canyons where the speeds aren't high (we have a few of those around there) along with a few longer trips here and there. I used to ride dirt bikes too so I know those are fun to ride. Plus I think a supermoto bike would be more fun to flick around than an R6.

Any of you have experience with supermoto bikes and can offer advice?

erok,

I don't have first hand experience with super-motards but they look like a ton of fun, lots of low end torque and are wheelie magnets, here's a video of Nicky Hayden http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDbWSkTwJdk". I will ask what they recommend and get back to you, how much are you looking to spend and what size engine suits you best ?

Rhody... :cool:

rhody said:
Errr... ahem... Turbo, comments ? You are not getting off that easy... not by me anyway...Rhody... :devil: :biggrin:
Looks like you got exactly what you want, though that goal-post will probably advance as you put your new machine through its paces. I have never ever finished tweaking any bike that I have owned in the past 40 years. Not just in terms of performance, but appearance as well. I don't guess you'll be able to shut off the tweaking, either.

BTW, I am a minimalist. The less "stuff" on a bike the better I like it. I was very close to buying a Monster when my friend was closing out his Ducati dealership because they were so clean and spare in appearance compared to the heavily dressed Japanese sport-bikes that were made to look like their racing counterparts. I'm not going to buy a Chevy Impala because some nuts have produced NASCAR pipe-framed, over-powered racing machines that cosmetically resemble the consumer version. I prefer a very strict drag-racing interpretation. If you don't produce the car in sufficient quantities to be sold commercially, it cannot be registered and raced. A case in point is the hemi-cuda. Dodge made enough of them in consumer versions to allow them to be allowed to race at drag tracks.

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
Looks like you got exactly what you want, though that goal-post will probably advance as you put your new machine through its paces. I have never ever finished tweaking any bike that I have owned in the past 40 years. Not just in terms of performance, but appearance as well. I don't guess you'll be able to shut off the tweaking, either.

BTW, I am a minimalist. The less "stuff" on a bike the better I like it. I was very close to buying a Monster when my friend was closing out his Ducati dealership because they were so clean and spare in appearance compared to the heavily dressed Japanese sport-bikes that were made to look like their racing counterparts. I'm not going to buy a Chevy Impala because some nuts have produced NASCAR pipe-framed, over-powered racing machines that cosmetically resemble the consumer version. I prefer a very strict drag-racing interpretation. If you don't produce the car in sufficient quantities to be sold commercially, it cannot be registered and raced. A case in point is the hemi-cuda. Dodge made enough of them in consumer versions to allow them to be allowed to race at drag tracks.

Turbo,

Minimalist, got it, what I was really asking, hinting about was your taking the Mrs for a ride this summer. There, that is about as short and sweet as I can be. No more dancing, a simple yes thank you or no thank you will do just fine... :wink:

Rhody...

P.S. At some point I will run out of things to tweak, only thing left now is fuel mapping. Like we discussed at the tire place (got new Toyo's for Ridgeline after almost 70K miles, not bad) today with some guys who gave it a look, I plan to run it medium to as hard as I dare at the track, if something breaks, hopefully not me, I will fix it. I like how it looks and hopefully will like how it goes even better, if my poor body will take the wind and physically abuse dished out by it. Have a look at my next post to see what I mean...

I alluded to the assault on your senses in my previous post, have a look at this: August 2010 http://www.motorbiketv.info/video/aftermarket-motorbike-exhaust-system/on-board-camera-with-the-worlds-fastest-road-racing-rider#" . See the head buffeting he is taking ? Combine that with the shaking and shuddering, wind blast, and arm pump you get from hitting the brakes hard for 20 - 40 minutes at a time, and you come away like a damp dishrag, even if you are in good physical shape. Even at 60% of his insane pace, it is intense to say the least. Time will tell if I am one of the 40% who get hooked after their first track day. After years of this, for these guys it is just another day at the office, but the pictures do not do the sensations justice, not to mention the sound of other riders in close proximity to you. For some like Anstey, who is now in his late thirties, it is a hopeless addiction. Notice at the end, around 3:35 or so he just inches Ian Hutchinson out at the end, he can be seen over Anstey's left shoulder crossing the finish a scant few feet behind him.

Rhody... :devil:

Let's settle on "no" Rhody. I would love to treat you to some back-deck BBQs should you venture up this way. I put up a brave front after my stroke and rode for years after, but the truth is that I don't have the coordination and dexterity that I need to ride safely. Tame touring with H-D enthusiasts was about it then. I wouldn't push any envelopes. In fact, I sold my tweaked Wide Glide because I wasn't pushing that bike and wanted someone else to have fun with it. I bought a Road King, and hated it immediately. I should have opted for the Monster 'way back then. I am not a dresser type.

Was just browsing the BMW forum, and ran across http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QldZiR9eQ_0", it looks awesome if you follow TT Racing. Guy Martin's 2010 TT Story. Have a look...

P.S. Edit: Now this is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro850mzZXMI&feature=related", the course is blocked one way, allowing cars, etc... to travel in one direction, but not the other, and the riders can haul, looks way to sketchy, dangerous to me, but the folks on the Isle of Mann apparently don't think so. Amazing... Check out the accident about half way though the video, the rider simply moves on.

Just reviewed your slide show again Rhody. What a sweet-looking ride!

turbo-1 said:
Just reviewed your slide show again Rhody. What a sweet-looking ride!
I have been riding it fairly regularly now for about a week and not a day goes by someone young, old, smart, not so smart, mostly men comment on it, easy to overlook at first, but then little by little she draws you in. I was thinking of doing one more thing, totally off the chain, adding some ultraviolet paint touches (possibly irreverent) that can only be seen with a black light next to it. That would give her a true identity as a "Ghost" and we all know where I got that word from, now don't we ?!

How about a reply to my comments in your Ridge thread ?