A is a root of order of polynomial p iff p(a)=p'(a)= =[p^(k-1)](a)=0

In summary, a is a root of order k of the polynomial p provided that k is a natural number such that p(x)=[(x-a)^k]r(x), r is a polynomial and r(a) not equal to 0. This can be proven by showing that a is a root of order k of p if and only if p(a)=P'(a)=...=[p^(k-1)](a)=0 and [p^(k)](a) not equal to 0. This can be demonstrated by using the Taylor Polynomial expansion and differentiating p(x) k times. On the other hand, if p(a)=p'(a)=...=[p^(k-1)](a)=0 and
xsw001
a is a root of order k of the polynomial p provided that k is a natural number such that p(x)=[(x-a)^k]r(x), r is a polynomial and r(a) not equal to 0.

Prove a is a root of order k of the polynomial p iff p(a)=P'(a)=...=[p^(k-1)](a)=0 and [p^(k)](a) not equal to 0.

Note:
[p^(k-1)](a) := differentiate p(x) k-1 times
[[p^(k)](a) := differentiate p(x) k times

Taylor Polynomial expansion:
Pn(x) = f(a)+f'(a)(x-a)+[f''(a)/2!](x-a)^2+...+[f^n(a)/n!](x-a)^n

Proof:
My first instinct is to let finite series of r(x) to be e^x
Then r(x)=e^x=1+x+x^2/2!+x^3/3!+...+x^n/n!
Let a=0, then p(x)=[(x-a)^k]r(x)= (x^k)(e^x)
Differentiate p(x) k times to conclude p(0)=p’(0)=p’’(0)=…=[p^(k-1)](0)=0, but (p^k)(0)=k! not equal to 0 (I have skipped the steps in this post since it takes too long to type it up)
But how should I prove the other way around?
Suppose p(a)=p'(a)=...=[p^(k-1)](a)=0 and [p^(k)](a) not equal to 0 and prove that a is a root of order of polynomial p? Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
how about starting from below & differentiating k times
[tex] p(x)=(x-a)^k r(x) [/tex]

Yeah, that's what I was thinking originally instead of use a particular example, just generalize it by differentiating k times. I got pretty close the same answer,
p(a)=p’(a)=p’’(a)=…=[p^(k-1)](a)=0, but (p^k)(a)=k!r(a) not equal to 0 since r(a) not equal to 0 and k is natural number.

Should I state in order to prove the reverse order is just to integrating k times to get p(x)=[(x-a)^k]r(x)? So a is also a root of order k of the polynomial p. That would complete the if and only if prove?

1. What is the meaning of "order of a polynomial"?

The order of a polynomial is the highest degree of the polynomial's terms. For example, a polynomial with terms of degree 3, 2, and 1 would have an order of 3.

2. How do you determine the order of a polynomial?

To determine the order of a polynomial, you simply look at the highest degree of the terms in the polynomial. This will be the order of the polynomial.

3. What does it mean for a number to be a "root" of a polynomial?

A root of a polynomial is a number that, when plugged in for the variable in the polynomial, makes the polynomial equal to 0. In other words, the root is the solution to the polynomial equation.

4. How is the order of a root related to the polynomial?

The order of a root is related to the polynomial by the fact that the order of a root is equal to the number of times the root appears as a solution when the polynomial is factored. This is also known as the multiplicity of the root.

5. How does the equation "p(a)=p'(a)=[p^(k-1)](a)=0" relate to the order of a root?

This equation is a condition that a number, a, must satisfy in order to be a root of a polynomial, p, of a certain order, k. Essentially, this equation is saying that in order for a to be a root of order k, it must make p(a) equal to 0, as well as the first k-1 derivatives of p evaluated at a.