I dont understand why info cant be sent with entangled tripletes

• Thread starter antonio glez
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Entangled
In summary: If Alice and Bob meet again, and they happened to have chosen the same basis, they will constat that they got the same result, whatever the result they had."
antonio glez
all right so alice has one atom of the entangled triplet and bob the other two atoms

bob is going to always measure in horizontal basis

so alice sends a message by measuring in the horizontal basis or vertical

when bob measures always in the horizontal basis he will know in what basis did alice measure by having two equals or two differents values in the tripletes

why is this wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's hard to understand how do you imagine triplet entanglement.
If you imagine entanglement of two particles as two identical particles then it may seem that nothing prevents having three identical copies of particle. But such picture would be wrong as entanglement is more complex correlation of some property of particles from ensemble and their phase.

Anyways it's not enough to know measurement basis for particles to observe some correlations. You have to know results of measurements. That is true for triplet states as well.

If you have two maximally entangled qubits, they can't be entangled at all with a third one; this is known as http://www.quantiki.org/wiki/Monogamy_of_entanglement" . If the statistics on particles A and B violate a Bell inequality, those for A and C don't.

Last edited by a moderator:
My understanding is that it doesn't matter what we measure, the outcome of that measurement is beyond our control. Since we can't control the outcome we can't communicate information in this way. Now I haven't heard this discussed with triplets as I've never heard of such a thing.

"If you have two maximally entangled qubits, they can't be entangled at all with a third one"

then what sense does it make talk of an entangled triplet?

so if a cuantum pair has an entanglement of 100% an entangle triplet has an entagle of 50%

is that correct?

also even taking into account quantum monogamy i still see posible to send info with a triplet

we agree that if the triplet is 100% entangled the receiver who has rwo atoms can know with a 100% efectivity in what basis did the sender measure

but if the triplet is entangled in a 50% the receiver will have a 50% chance of obtaining different values in his two atoms of the triplet if he measures in different basis

but a 50% chance of 50% of obtaining equal values if he measures in the same basis

so with triplets seems you can send a bit if not with a 100% certainty with more than 50%, the bit would be weather the sender measure in vertical or horizontal basis

any light on this?

You can have entanglement of 3 or more particles. However, this does not produce expectation statistics identical to 2 particles.

antonio glez said:
why is this wrong?
I'm not an expert but from layman to layman here is how I understand this question:

Let's say we're talking about the spin of three electrons in the following state : [000> + [111> (vertical basis)

If Alice measures the first electron first, then the state own by Bob will be either [00> or [11>. One of the two, but he won't know which one.

Let's say Alice measures the first electron in an orthogonal basis, then to see what happens we need to rewrite the state of the first electron in this new basis

( [+> + [-> ) . [00> + ( [+> - [-> ) . [11>
<=> [+> . ( [00> + [11> ) + [-> . ( [00> - [11> )

If Alice measures the state of her electron she will see either [+> or [-> and the state own by Bob will be either [00> + [11> or [00> - [11>.

So it turns out that Bob will always see his two electrons agreeing. What he can measure is not affected by Alice, and that's why there is no communication.

"So it turns out that Bob will always see his two electrons agreeing."

thats the crux of what i see probably wrong:

if he sees the electrons agreeing he knows both alice and bob measured in the same basis contrary to if they had mesaured in different basis

then the message would be 0 horizontal 1 vertical

antonio glez said:
thats the crux of what i see probably wrong
Yep. If Bob choses the vertical axis he will see two 0 or two 1. If he choses the horizontal avis he will see two + or two -. If he choses one vertical and one horizontal axis he will see any combination of 0 or 1 and + or -. That is not affected by what Alice does.

The only thing that can happen is that if Alice and Bob meet again, and they happened to have chosen the same basis, they will constat that they got the same result, whatever the result they had. But no way to send information, or at least not this way.
PS: I replaced ( that would violate the no-cloning theorem.) in the last sentence: I'm not sure of that.

Last edited:
i see so when alice measures his particle the entanglement is not broken but the other two atoms that bob have keep entangled so he will measure the same values always

is this correct?

Yes :smile:

thanks a lot seems now i can agree with the thing :)

1. Why can't information be sent using entangled triplets?

Information cannot be sent using entangled triplets because entanglement is a phenomenon of quantum mechanics where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other, regardless of the distance between them. This means that measuring one particle instantaneously affects the state of the other particle, but it does not allow for the transfer of any information.

2. How does entanglement work?

Entanglement occurs when two or more particles are created or interact in such a way that their quantum states become linked or correlated with each other. This means that the state of one particle cannot be described without considering the state of the other particle, even if they are separated by large distances.

3. Can entangled particles be used for communication?

No, entangled particles cannot be used for communication because the state of one particle cannot be controlled or manipulated to convey information to the other particle. The information that is obtained by measuring the state of one particle is purely random and cannot be predetermined or controlled.

4. Is entanglement faster than the speed of light?

No, entanglement does not allow for the transfer of information faster than the speed of light. While measuring the state of one particle may instantaneously affect the state of the other particle, this does not violate the speed of light as no information is actually being transmitted.

5. Can entanglement be used for secure communication?

Yes, entanglement has potential applications in secure communication. This is because any attempt to intercept or measure the state of an entangled particle will alter its state, making it impossible for the intended recipient to receive the correct information. However, it is currently not possible to control the state of the entangled particles, making it difficult to use for practical communication purposes.